DONE - AMT 1/32 Anakin's Podracer - Star Wars; Episode 1

Dermo245

Now that you've all probably stopped laughing out there, yes, I'm going to try and build this one! Bought back when the film came out...

Box art with a screen grab from the movie...

AMT_Podracer_Box_cover_zps7pbrjieh.jpg

A tease on the box side...

AMT_Podracer_Box_Cover_2_zpszaqdizp7.jpg

What's inside (minus the instructions)...

AMT_Podracer_Contents_zpsaipqwpkk.jpg

Pod & cockpit sprues plus the funky base..

AMT_Podracer_cockpit_sprue_zpsw4pynyk9.j

Close up of Anakin...even for 1/32, he looks about 12 years old....I thought he was meant to be 6 or 7?!

AMT_Podracer_figure_zpsntheppv9.jpg

The engines sprues...

AMT_Podracer_engine_sprue_zpspytypwun.jp

Close up of the engine parts - some very soft detail in places..

AMT_Podracer_engine_close_up_zps8g5kuatl

The energy binder-thingys (purple sprue) and some metal wires so you can model it 'in flight'....which is racing mode I guess. Also in with the metal is a flat piece of clear plastic you need to curve for the windscreen...jeez, they broke their hearts in the AMT offices with that..

AMT_Podracer_energy_binder_zps4kedjap9.j

And that's it. I'm going to attempt to model this in flight but with only one engine supported underneath (like some other builds have done).

This will be either be great......or as annoyingly bad as a certain Mr JJ Binks himself.

Good luck with your builds!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 6

Thanks everyone and finally some progress.

First impressions? The plastic is really soft (as is the detail in lots of places), it's covered with ejector pin marks and the fitting/location of parts is.....how shall I put it.....haphazard. Lots of fitting/dry fitting...

The pieces that make up the main pod..

AMT_Podracer_pod_1_zpsxhnpfzf4.jpg

Dry fitted together...

AMT_Podracer_pod_2_zpsau7h8i98.jpg

Added some scrap plastic (middle 3 bits) to the virtually blank instrument panel!

AMT_Podracer_pod_3_zpsrw5xpzsl.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Still here and working away (albeit slowly) on this one.

Got both engines started last night - as shown in the parts breakdown above, each engine has four sides with two inserts as well as parts for the intakes and burner cans (not all shown here). I found that assembling them using the 'can ring as a sort of stand helped with keeping them lined up. Some filling to do in places and seams to clean up.

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_engines_zpsmak3eamj

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

So finally some progress to show...main engines primed up..

AMT_Podracer_engines_primer_zps9ehmxj1k.

And with a coat of Boltgun metal...there are a couple of pesky stubborn seams but hopefully weathering and the engine details should blend all those in...

AMT_Podracer_engines_paint_zpsybl3l7qm.j

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Pipework all finished - just need to touch up some paint edges.

These were an absolute bear to do...the kit instructions on where to locate the pipers are about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

AMT_Podracer_engines_paint_pipes_4_zpsfr

Looking forward to the weathering on these next!

No picture of the pod itself but that's coming along.

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 9

So next stage on the engines...a coat of Future followed by sludge wash. Engine in the back has been done, one in the front to do..

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_engines_paint_5_zps

And then an oil wash as I thought they were still a bit too clean, if you know what I mean. Much happier with this now.

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_engines_paint_6_zps

Pod is also getting there...

AMT_Podracer_popod_5_zpsfhjpjuhl.jpg

And this will be the base for it..

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_1_zpsivs6ny1t.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 6

My lad bought one at a show for £2 recently, and as I'll have to build it, I'm watching with interest!

For those who haven't seen it, the engines have over 50 pieces each.....

Cheers Dave...I found it easier to use the round 'end' pieces as a guide to help with fitting the four parts that make up the engine bodies..

The engines got an oil wash all over and some weathering with pastels. Might be a wee bit overdone but then again, it is Pod Racing!

AMT_Anakins_Pod_Racer_Engines_paint7_zps

I was really happy with how the afterburners (?!) turned out...I only brush paint so this is drybrushed with various metal shades and some pastel to finish it off.

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_Engines_paint_8_zps

Also tackled the decals last night. If I was building this kit again, I would probably mask and paint these stripes on...the decals were really thick and I need to go back and fix them up in places. They were really not happy about taking any corners either!

AMT_Podracer_popod_decals_1_zpsp3nircyo.

AMT_Podracer_popod_decals_2_zpstm9jxjql.

As always, thanks for looking and your comments!

Dermot

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So on to the base for this one!

The kit does come with a fairly nice plastic base with Anakin's symbol (?) on it plus 3 wires cut to length so you can display the podracer in flight. You should hopefully be able to make it out from this box shot..

AMT_Podracer_Box_Cover_2_zpszaqdizp7.jpg

But I've always been inspired by Jim James build over on CultmanTV's site, where he supported the kit under one engine, and had everything else hang off that. So thought I'd use that as my guide! Piece of MDF donated by fellow Britmodeller Chief Wiggum...

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_1_zpsivs6ny1t.

Added a stain to it along with a piece of wood to support a stand, and some bits of thick cardboard for relief...

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_2_zpsb5r1c121.

Healthy sludge of wall filler over all of that plus some stones from the garden. I also added a piece of square metal beam that will support the left engine. I don't normally do groundwork so I accept it looks a bit 'Blue-Peter' from here...

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_3_zpsbxpfge9t.

Cut a smaller hole in the underside of the left engine

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_Engines_paint_9_zps

Which was sized to accept this smaller piece of square metal beam..

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_4_zps0zajrtzz.

Glue into engine and then place into base part and we have a flying engine!

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_5_zpsgm7iauof.

The kit plastic 'energy' binders will cover this metal rod which will (hopefully) support the right engine!

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_Engines_paint_10_zp

In the background, you can also make out the pod/engine cables which are cut to length from an old wire coat hanger...the kit parts are plastic and not meant to bear any weight so I don't think they're strong enough to support the Pod itself.

Hope it doesn't look too wonky!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 6