Mauritania: Super Tucano from Hobby Boss.

As I've said in my Hannover build, this is a modern kit of a modern type, so it should be a doddle. Should.

Requisite box top, sprues etc.

Super%20Tucano%20box%20top_zpslcbybeq4.j

Super%20Tucano%20sprues_zpsuflspahu.jpg

The bird I'm doing is the second from bottom, in the desert camo. I also rather like the Burkina Faso scheme, so I've got another one coming to allow me to do that. It's interesting that even the Indonesians get into the shark mouth thing, although I guess that they know a fair bit about sharks, being a tropical island nation. Everything on the sheet is pretty good actually, as are the kit options, so there may be a line-up of Super Ts in my future. May be, I have lots to keep busy with.

Super%20Tucano%20decals%20front_zps2wu0r

Super%20Tucano%20decals%20rear_zpse2ylwo

First impressions of the kit are good. Nice and cleanly moulded, no flash visible, and sharp details, with each sprue individually bagged. The white object in the sprue photo is the clear sprue wrapped in puffy stuff and bagged - bodes well for the build, methinks.

This evening's effort will focus on getting blocks of colour onto cockpit interior parts, wheel wells and the like. I may glue ejection seats if time allows, so they can set up before I start painting them. I'll also have to have a gander at what stores the Mauritanians hang under the wings, so that I can make a start on gluing the bangy bits together. Or possibly, it may end up clean, as per my Hannover. Who says that military models have to have weapons?

More later.

Edited by Rob G
  • Like 4

Update:

Due to colour overload (I spent the late afternoon chasing down colour matches), instead of painting colour blocks yesterday I spent a pleasurable hour or so trimming bits off sprues and gluing them together last night. A quick flick with the sanding pad and BAM, seats, external tanks, exhausts and sundry other bits were cleaned up and stuck together. I also took the time to work out and fit some bulkheads to keep the shotgun pellet nose weights in place. All in all, a nice way to spend the evening. Photos later today.

Given the negative reaction to this kit by 'them what know', I'm surprised that it hasn't gone supercritical and destroyed my work bench, if not the house. Looks like a Super Tucano to me, and thus far, it's been a pleasure to build.

More later.

• Like 1

If we only built kits that are 100% accurate then we wouldn't build many at all!

I know that Hobby Boss make some mistakes but then so do the likes of Hasegawa (Spitfires) and Tamiya (Meteor) and nobody talks about them with such venom. From what I've seen it looks like a Super Tucano to me.

I look forward to the build.

Craig.

if it looks like one and sounds like one then it probably is one!

pity you can't use the sharks mouths, they always look so good!!

Should be a nice simple build compared to the Hannover!

In that case Cliff, you'll like the Update!: ;) (Quite a few pix, and ignore the plastic dust; it's everywhere through my work area ATM, due to Mr Eduard and Mr Dremel having a long-running and intense discussion.)

Spent some time today sorting the last little bits in preparation for some paint. First task was to finish boxing up the nose area so I'd have somewhere to put my lead shot.

_Super%20Tucano%20cockpit%20mods_2_zpsjy

_Super%20Tucano%20cockpit%20fit%20trial%

The round ended white patch covers a large NACA inlet - it might let air in, but it will also let nose weight out. Paint it black from the outside, it'll look fine.

_Super%20Tucano%20NACA%20intake%20mod_2_
_Super%20Tucano%20NACA%20intake%20mod_1_

The chin intake (chintake??) needed filling as well, for the same reason as above.

_Super%20Tucano%20nose%20intake%20mod_1_

_Super%20Tucano%20nose%20intake%20mod_2_

And I hope this will be enough weight to keep her on her toes, because that's all that fits into the nose area. Before I commit to glue, I will do a mockup and a CoG balance trial. The beauty of using this small shot is that it gets everywhere, and can be squeezed into all sorts of nooks and crannies via a little judicious jiggling to settle it down. And yes, that is a set of teeny digital scales.

_Super%20Tucano%20nose%20weight_zpsen9ct

Also started cleaning up the glued bits, here's the exhaust stacks. Just in case anyone was itching to see what they look like. ;) So far, the only place I've needed filler is a smear of Mr Surfacer on the tops of the ejection seats, although those internal seams on the stacks may need looking at. Unless I do her up as displayed at Paris Air Show in 2012, spanking new, cleaner than a whistle, and with covers and RBF tags all over.

_Super%20Tucano%20zorsts_zpsa0qoh9em.jpg

That's it for now. There's 2 shades of grey sprayed into the appropriate areas, but grey paint on grey plastic is not all that exciting, so no photos of it. Tomorrow (or maybe later this evening), I will start colouring in the cockpit, adding all the redsandyellowsandgreensandsilvers to the various knobby bits, so there will be more images from that.

Thanks for following. More later.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Sort of...

Life's been busy this last 10 days or so, so little has been done on the ST. (Or anything, really). I did start colouring-in the cockpit, but I have decided to strip out the grey paint and repaint it in white, so that I have a better, brighter base for the colours, and then just add the grey bits as required. Out with the oven cleaner...

I have glued a few bits and pieces onto the fuselage, and cleaned up the pylons. I have also started in on provisional plans for adding the not-supplied FLIR Systems Star SAFIRE III FLIR turret... simple enough to build, one would think, but not if you're basically clueless, like I am - I have some details, including photos and the company's brochure on it, but any leads to a 1/48th already made version would be appreciated!

• Like 1