Another Airfix ME 109-Desert Eagle.

Airfix 1/72 ME109E Franz Elles 8/JG Western desert April 1941.

Hi folks,here,s my second Me 109E. It,s the Tropical version of Airfix,s newish tool 109.I was going to build the Bulgarian option

in the box but this scheme brought back fond memories of the Matchbox kit I built as a kid.Many thanks for looking in.

SDC12917%20640x480_zpsx13vwovq.jpgSDC12916%20640x480_zpsujun0idk.jpgSDC12915%20640x480_zpsqjmt5vmm.jpgSDC12911%20640x480_zpsb3nkhbpv.jpgSDC12910%20640x480_zpslwixifpr.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 24

Another little beauty. Very nice. A cracking model. Great camouflage. Very well done :)

• Like 1

Another excellent 109 Steve!! Camouflage looks great. Can I please ask how you did the blobs? (Technical term???!!!)

Thanks Stix, just a good old fine brush,I noticed from some original colour photo,s of these aircraft that the "dots" looked more like they had been

brushed on rather than mottled as we normallly see on German aircraft that,s why I opted for this scheme I thought I could get it nearly right! I am

just starting a Fiesler Storch which has a desert scheme with the green paint looking like "spaggetti" and I,m thinking of trying a marker pen to

reproduce the scheme which will be a first as far as I,m concerned.

Excellent job, I've made one or two of these and think they are fun little kits, much better than the old airfix 109. I love the camo on the desert one too and you've done a great job with it!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

you are pretty much spot on compared to the colour photos existing of that plane. Congrats, as it looks the part beautifully.

I agree with you with the brush painted blotches and yours are just right.

Just one small point: I have never seen -109s with the tips of the propeller blades painted yellow. Nor any other German aircraft for that matter. Of course you are going to produce THE photo that proves that this very airplane had them in yellow.... If so, I'll take it on the chin without a bitch!!!

Great job as usual StEve

JR

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

you are pretty much spot on compared to the colour photos existing of that plane. Congrats, as it looks the part beautifully.

I agree with you with the brush painted blotches and yours are just right.

Just one small point: I have never seen -109s with the tips of the propeller blades painted yellow. Nor any other German aircraft for that matter. Of course you are going to produce THE photo that proves that this very airplane had them in yellow.... If so, I'll take it on the chin without a bitch!!!

Great job as usual StEve

JR

Thanks Jean,and you are right all the photo,s I have just looked at don,t seem to show any yellow tips at all I just assumed they would

well you live and learn! I will correct this now before they go on the shelf.

Thanks Stix, just a good old fine brush,I noticed from some original colour photo,s of these aircraft that the "dots" looked more like they had been

brushed on rather than mottled as we normallly see on German aircraft that,s why I opted for this scheme I thought I could get it nearly right! I am

just starting a Fiesler Storch which has a desert scheme with the green paint looking like "spaggetti" and I,m thinking of trying a marker pen to

reproduce the scheme which will be a first as far as I,m concerned.

Great build Steve and good job on the mottling... very topical and the subject of much angst elsewhere (poor Mr P!). Ironic when you think the originals were probably done by some bloke with a spray gun randomly splorting around. "Ja, I just paint them". German Stew Dapple, unquote!

• Like 2

very nice job on that - really impressive. I've got a 1/48 109 in the stash that I'm now inspired to do in a similar scheme. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Looks excellent Steve :). As a brush painter myself, I have been tempted to get this kit to do the scheme, but was not sure if I could apply the green 'dots' convincingly. I might well have a go, after seeing the good neat job you have completed here...just hope I have the patience to apply the mottling!

I'm interested to see how the Storch spaghetti cam scheme comes out, that is another one I would like to attempt, either on a German or Italian plane. In an old model making book I have, it suggests using a calligraphers ruling pen for the squiggly lines.

Rob

My favourite scheme on a 109. More trips down memory lane there. Did the Matchbox one in that scheme and the Romanian one as it was different. 70p for the two kits in those days.

Cheers Steve

I am sure it did have the Rumanian version in the original boxing,I,ve certainly built one in that scheme years ago.

Looks excellent Steve :). As a brush painter myself, I have been tempted to get this kit to do the scheme, but was not sure if I could apply the green 'dots' convincingly. I might well have a go, after seeing the good neat job you have completed here...just hope I have the patience to apply the mottling!

I'm interested to see how the Storch spaghetti cam scheme comes out, that is another one I would like to attempt, either on a German or Italian plane. In an old model making book I have, it suggests using a calligraphers ruling pen for the squiggly lines.

Rob

Thanks Rob,I was thinking along those lines too for the Storch,or a marker pen one that will allow gloss coat to be used on top.