1/1000 Zoelguut-class Class 1 Super Dreadnought

Madhatter

thanks guys

I've made a start on the front, so hopefully by next week I'll have something to show :)

I just bought a couple of Pitt Road 1/700 upgrade sets from HLJ today to assist with this added detail. Can't wait to see what you get!

Thanks again for your interest

MH

good evening all

Update time - such as it is. I am not far off finishing the detailing and I reckon I'll be ready for paint in a week or so. I just need to finish the underside of the front end and that will be pretty much it. Just a few more bits of detail to add to the center of the ship and then done - once my stuff from HLJ arrives that is

Up front, I haven't gone too crazy with the surface texture, but enough to make it more interesting. I really love this uber thin plastic strip from Hobby Base. The white stuff is Evergreen and it's lying on it's thinnest side and it still looks much thicker that the HB strip. Fantastic for subtle textures

I still haven't been brave enough to mutilate the nose yet. It's such an expensive kit that it's making me too nervous to do in case I screw it up. I have run out of silicone so I can't make a mold of it to experiment with and even if I had some, I have no idea on how I would actually cast it to look the same as the original. It has a very distinctive shape to the "top" of it which makes it difficult to cast. If anyone has an idea on how I could do it, please do let me know 'coz I don't.

Also, somewhere along the line, I have snapped off the tip of the right side rear fin, so I'll have to repair that at some point too.

Well, enough writing, time for the pics:

IMG_0509_zpskzyshmss.jpg

IMG_0510_zpsqr1mhltb.jpg

IMG_0512_zpsldyvital.jpg

IMG_0513_zpsduglfjod.jpg

IMG_0514_zpsatefpxzi.jpg

IMG_0515_zpsz8f53yrz.jpg

IMG_0522_zpsjf92y5cj.jpg

IMG_0524_zpsgr7xokm2.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how big this ship is:

IMG_0526_zpsoxhoy2aa.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I'll update again once the bottom side has been done and my parts arrive from HLJ

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 3

IMG_0305_zpscqbh7dm2.jpg

Where do you source those connectors from? been trying to find things like that for a while for exactly this reason.

Superb work, very impressed with your scratch building on this thread so far!

Hi Kallisti

I get the connectors from JayCar here in Aus - I am not sure what the equivalent store is in the UK - but in the USA it was Radioshack

They look like this when new:

IMG_0315_zps1wwmdkak.jpg

Just look for a place that sells electronic parts and you should be fine. I don't think you'll have much luck in retail shops like Tandy etc - but it's been almost 20 years since I was last in England so things might have changed somewhat

If you can't find any, let me know and I'll pick some up for you here and mail them to you. They're cheap as chips - $1.95 (approx 1 pound) each

MH

Kallisti, if you look on eBay for PCB Header sockets and pins you should find them easy enough, that's where I get mine from.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 2

did you know I never knew what they actually were - I just knew they were good for making connectors with :) And to boot - I just found the female sockets that I have been chasing for quite a long time now - so thanks Warren! :D

I got 3 rows of 40 delivered for $4.21 (AU) - so happy right now!

Also known as break-away headers. You can get female versions to make plugs and sockets, although those are slightly more effort since you have to cut them down rather than just snap them off.

A tip - if you're cutting the female versions it's easiest to pull out the metal terminal after the ones you want and cut through the middle of the empty recess. Otherwise it's too easy to cut through the wall separating the two recesses and end up with a weak or broken socket.

Will

• Like 1

Not really familiar with the source materiel for this build,but you are doing an absolutely stunning job on this kit,the extra detail really gives it a "cinematic" feel.

• Like 1

Greetings everyone

It's been a couple of weeks since I last updated and in that time I have achieved......not a lot. I'm still waiting for the parts to arrive from Japan and once they're here, I can add the last of the detailing tot he bottom of the ship.

I have yet to detail a few places like the lips of the central intakes, the middle part of the front half where it's white and then make a final decision about what to do with the nose

In regards to what I have actually done, well, some surface detail as can plainly be seen plus I have added some angular fins on the nose area and also just forward of the bridge. I felt that the ship could look a bit more aggressive than what it does, so I thought maybe some spike like fins could add to the aesthetics.

IMG_0527_zpse99bw1td.jpg

IMG_0528_zpslcnpcpxy.jpg

IMG_0529_zpsfvwn4hre.jpg

IMG_0530_zps7zvhkcsd.jpg

IMG_0534_zpswwrtolrs.jpg

IMG_0535_zps7z02estv.jpg

IMG_0539_zpshldizmqa.jpg

IMG_0540_zpstetbywoi.jpg

IMG_0543_zpskjq9ur0y.jpg

IMG_0544_zpslxkswf0i.jpg

So, what do you think? Do you think

A) They look good!! So much better like that

B) Yeah, they're OK. Not entire convinced just yet but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me

C) They look OK but there's something not quite right about them...

D) Yeah, but no. I think maybe you should loose them.

E) OMG!!! What the hell have you done?! Those poor graceful, sweeping lines....!? You shall burn in hell for this sacrilege!

Of course, you don't have to be anyone one of those above, but any honest, constructive feedback would be greatly received

Not far now till the painting stage. I'm really looking forward to it. I have some cool ideas that hopefully aren't above my skill level to achieve

As always, thanks for stopping in

MH

• Like 3

Looks like they fit the theme to me, got the same sort of raked shape the other wings and fins have, it fits :)

Maybe even stick a few more on the back end, underside of the saucer bit, call them heat exchangers or sensor masts or something else technical sounding :P

• Like 1

Please don't hate me but you did ask its "C" for me.

Although they look neat enough they look a bit thin and fragile, like bits of plasticard stuck on ( sorry that sounds horrible, it's not meant to ) Maybe if they were more "3D" , more substantial.

I find I have the same problem with a lot of the photo etch I use, and end up leaving it off or using it as a pattern to make it out of something thicker (or rounder).

• Like 1

thanks guys

I am in no way offended or upset the Noeyedears - in fact, I took your advice and have added some detail to them as I think you were 100% correct - they were too flat

Thanks for that!

Philip, I can always take them off :) Once they have paint on them I think they'll look more natural...I hope :)

Still think it needs a 50 Megazapalot planet destroying canon on the front ;):lol:

It looks fab Madhatter can't wait to see it painted.

Well Knikki, that might be what I end up doing once my replacement nose piece arrives.

This'll most likely be the second to last batch of detailing pics I will take before painting. I'll shoot one more set once the new parts arrive and are placed accordingly.

IMG_0596_zpsn5gpia3b.jpg

IMG_0597_zpsq2mkttl4.jpg

IMG_0622_zps4kg7nzhe.jpg

IMG_0619_zps6etqhcop.jpg

IMG_0604_zpsnvwvhyzd.jpg

IMG_0598_zpsvqkpykae.jpg'''

IMG_0602_zpspesu0u9e.jpg

IMG_0611_zpscrqlzpj1.jpg''

IMG_0609_zpsj77b6kin.jpg

IMG_0610_zpsiojkffz5.jpg

IMG_0613_zpsluydpgkz.jpg

IMG_0615_zpsdvkfbpcr.jpg

IMG_0632_zpskgzgkjst.jpg

IMG_0633_zpscp6raq5l.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I really hope these new parts arrive soon. The nose may stay as it is for now if this is to see any chance of the dead line in a few weeks.

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 2