1/1000 Zoelguut-class Class 1 Super Dreadnought

Madhatter

lol - you and your cannons ;)

thanksfor the support on this guys - it's greatly appreciated.

A mate of mine here at work gave me an idea to concave the front a little bit and add both torpedo tubes and antennas, so I may actually go down that route. The firsat thing he said when he saw the original was "how do I trim my beard with it?". Just goes to show that this image is the first thing people assimulate with. Bad design idea.

• Like 1

not a lot of movement on this I'm sorry. I have spent most of my time trying to work out how to get power from the back of the ship to the front and then to the entire ship. I've used the base that comes with it instead of doing something of my own because I'm too lazy and also, this ship is too big not to. In the end, I went with a combination power socket and switch and a plug and socket to attach the ship to the base - exactly like Ii did with the Darold. It also allows for easy transporting of the 2 - just lift it off the base and into a box. nice and simple. Just like me :)

IMG_0319_zpsqijplxtj.jpg

IMG_0325_zpsl7dezpyh.jpg

IMG_0326_zps0rwbigjb.jpg

IMG_0328_zps9jyfd3tv.jpg

The rear walls have been glued in and painted and Ii just finished filing the grills that cover them. They have since been installed on the ship but I haven't taken any pictures of that yet. I feel like I've kind of wasted my time detailing this area because once the grill is over it, you can't see anything anyway. But I know it's there! ;)

IMG_0300_zpsr1yeayv3.jpg

IMG_0303_zpszvl2rg6e.jpg

And lastly, this is how I'll end up joining the 2 halves of the ship. Feed the plug and wire through a hole in through bottom and into a connector. I'll place the bottom piece of the front section on once the 2 halves have been joined. I was going to go with a plug and socket like I did with the base, but there wasn't enough room for either of them, so I had to resort to this rather rough operation. It works though and that's what's important.

IMG_0304_zps3u9tlfpy.jpg

IMG_0307_zpsa117igoy.jpg

IMG_0309_zps4zopyot9.jpg

IMG_0305_zpscqbh7dm2.jpg

Well, that's all I've got to show for my weekend. Not a lot done really. I just need to finish up the rear end (exhaust tubes) and finish off the electrics then I can start making the central mechanics and then button it all up and start detailing the surface - which is my favorite part :D

Thanks for looking

Si

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

greetings everyone

Well, it's been a while since I last posted an update and TBH, I haven't really done a hell of a lot due to major changes at work and in life blah blah blah.....

So what have I done? Well, I made the interior of the bridge including a few 1/800 figures just to add some interest. It's lit (and it works this time!) and is all glued up. I've run a wash over the panels ready for painting. The wires run through the neck and into the main body - which took a fair amount of working out. I also added a tail fin of sorts because I thought it looked cool.

IMG_0337_zps1qvk7kro.jpg

IMG_0339_zps3egrvb6b.jpg

IMG_0340_zpslblxohpo.jpg

IMG_0341_zpsgzlsfi6j.jpg

IMG_0342_zpsuh9ssf1n.jpg

IMG_0347_zpsbxs71umt.jpg

I have also begun detailing the upper surface. I should really be detailing the center intake section first, but I am still working out what I am going to put in there and I keep coming up against stone walls (so to speak), so I have moved on to the surfaces.

IMG_0346_zpsk7j3xiwi.jpg

IMG_0345_zps3ul8bgy2.jpg

this is how I will connect power to the ship from the stand - nothing amazing but it works:

IMG_0348_zpsdvzvacsv.jpg

IMG_0349_zps9bkmi6eq.jpg

I have also spent an inordinate amount of time trying to come up with a different style nose as I just don't like the shaver front. However, I am stuck trying to figure a way of casting it and even emailed Bandai asking for a replacement nose piece so that if I do screw it up, I always have the original to replace it with. However, they have not gotten back to me at all and I am not sure I had the right email address to start with. If anyone knows what it is, please let me know.

This is a really rough drawing of what I had in mind (please bear in mind that art is not my strong suit). If I go ahead with this, I will reduce the length of the main probes to just 2 sections from 3

New%20Doc_1_zpszcrswhsj.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I should hopefully have something better to show for my time next update. Any thoughts, ideas, critique and so on are always welcomed

thanks for looking

MH

• Like 3

greetings

I have been working on this over the past couple of days - on and off, and here is what I have to show for my time - which doesn't appear to be much, but trust me, cutting tiny bits of strip styrene takes time (well, for me it does - but then I work with a razor blade and no chopper)

IMG_0350_zpsqfddsl8u.jpg

IMG_0351_zpsfzzt6kjt.jpg

IMG_0352_zpsunigeqzs.jpg

IMG_0353_zpsnuhkgfcd.jpg

IMG_0354_zpsgjxgiwvy.jpg

Comparing apples and oranges:

IMG_0355_zpsuwf70lgb.jpg

Well, that's all I have for now.

On a separate note, I am thinking of withdrawing from this group build because of the amount of work to do out-weighs the time allotted and I do not want to rush this. I haven't even finished one side of the top section and I still have to do the other side, the bottom plate and then the front section. Added to that, I haven't even done the central intakes yet. There is only another 2 months including this one left - which to me, isn't enough time. If anything,

I will most likely do a separate thread in the Sci-Fi WIP section where I am free of time constraints. Unfortunately, I didn't really foresee this as being an issue when I signed up for the GB, but life has a funny way of screwing up well laid plans :)

Thanks to those who have taken an interest so far, and rest assured, I will continue - probably just not in this GB.

Later

• Like 2

I'm always really impressed by your detailing, it's tiny, crisply done, and manages to look eminently functional at the same time. Great stuff.

FWIW I wouldn't worry about the GB deadline, just carry on working on it in here, and if it's not done in time then ask a mod to move the thread over to the sci-fi section.

Plus with the detachable bridge you could just enter that!

Cheers,

Will

Si,

Will's right just carry on here then move if the GB finishes before you do.

I have the same concerns about the Falcon but want to get it built so using the GB as a bit of pressure.

Would comment on your progress but we are having a week in rural Cornewall and WiFi is iffy at best, get the text but not the pictures. Mind you I'm not complaining as it is beautiful down here.

Cheers,

Warren

OK, I'll leave it here until the GB is over :)

I love Cornwall - I lived in Penzance for about 9 months, then up to Truro then Torquay. Prior to that, I was living in Minehead for a year (yes, I am almost ashamed to say I worked at Butlins - but I was from NZ and knew no different until I left - Hi De Hi campers!.... ) I loved mountain biking through Moor Wood at night time - no lights, no helmet and no brains. But damn it was fun! Ah, the joys of being young

Enjoy your time down there Warren! :)

Well I'm back in the land of WiFi, we usually stop just outside Falmouth at a place called Mylor Harbour, did a fair few Poldark sites, the pleasures of holidaying with my wife and 2 daughters!!

We go down most years for a holiday and my youngest daughter has picked Falmouth Uni as her first choice so will be heading down there more often over the next 3 years.

Si, the additional detail you add to your models is fantastic, not sure I would have the patience.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks guys

Glad to hear you had a nice break over Easter Warren - sounds awesome!

Well, I have pretty much finished detailing the surface of top hull plate and am getting ready to move onto the bottom half. I still haven't even started the central intakes yet, but I'll do that once I've done the bottom

I've tried to keep machinery to a minimum and have instead gone for paneling that I thought would look good.

I've been using that ultra thin plastic strip from Hobby Base (JP) - the grey plastic. It's just about as thin as paper if not the same. Great for adding subtle texture without really standing out loud and proud which means the white Evergreen strip is quite thick in comparison which makes for better detailing. I like a busy surface without it being to OTT like I've seen on some builds over time (and if I'm honest with myself, my own included) Once the paint goes on, none of it will be too obvious

IMG_0376_zpsrovcxith.jpg

IMG_0378_zps3vwlcvmo.jpg

IMG_0361_zps2mfswmhn.jpg

IMG_0359_zps7mnglyfw.jpg

IMG_0358_zpst16bb8rq.jpg

IMG_0357_zps3oqgp49o.jpg

IMG_0356_zpsr9aodhxh.jpg

IMG_0367_zpsvzppsk46.jpg

IMG_0364_zpshkdlfhyc.jpg

IMG_0362_zpsprgtdzz6.jpg

IMG_0369_zps8en36xic.jpg

IMG_0370_zpsmwmtdez4.jpg

IMG_0372_zpsnfhnr6r1.jpg

IMG_0373_zps2rweexr2.jpg

IMG_0374_zpsycgg4pla.jpg

IMG_0375_zpsal2bmeot.jpg

IMG_0377_zpsxstghpbl.jpg

Well, that's everything so far. Let me know what you think -good - OK - a bit too much - why the hell are you "Borgifying" such nice sleek lines like that? and so on...

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 3

Your detailing looks great to me, a final dark wash might bring out the detail once you've painted the ship. Seen some references to washes on this GB in the wip threads, Tie fighter comes to mind.

All the best Chris

thanks guys

Knikki - yep, going to paint it red alright - but not the metallic red like the Lambo - to flashy for a space ship :) Mind you - I did have thoughts about using the Candy Electric Blue for the main body.

I have the red's picked out and I am really looking forward to painting - which is unusual for me as that's usually my most dreaded part of modelling. I'll add the usual grey panels in etc - but this time I hope to have them look smoother and more blended

MH

• Like 2

Hi again

Thought I might as well show you the fruits of this weekend's labor - which doesn't seem like much, but it all takes planning and scouring through multiple sprues looking for the right bit. I try to avoid just sticking any old bit of stuff on there just for the sake of it.

I've started on the bottom plate now and concentrated my efforts in the space at the rear center - where what started out as general piping and machinery turned into a new gun. Jim will be so proud...! :D I don't know the function of the raised pipes behind the gun though - I just they looked cool Some lead wire in there as well to busy it all up. I found a 1/700 Carrier Net PE set the other day at my LHS and it's great. These nets make great exhaust grills. The range finders were plopped on some PE Swordfish(?) wings and the barrels are cut 0.06mm Albion Alloy tubing.

My gun has a lot more chunk to it than the other ones - it's not as sleek so maybe I should just chunk up the other guns instead :evil_laugh:

IMG_0400_zpsois733sf.jpg

IMG_0402_zps7h9hnlvu.jpg

IMG_0404_zpsruof9lor.jpg

IMG_0405_zpsti8qkwzk.jpg

IMG_0406_zpsnukukimq.jpg

Well, that's it for a few nights. Thanks again for looking

Till next time

Si

• Like 2