Jim Lovell - UK Lecture - Nov 1st

paulj

Update 20th June: This event has now sold out on Saturday and Sunday

Hi,

I have cleared this with Mike, I just wanted to post details of an upcoming event some here may be interested in: I have no association with them, other than I have attended a couple of their lectures in the past.

http://space-lectures.com/coming_soon_25.html

Just to make it clear, the original dates have already sold out. The organiser is looking at adding another lecture date (Sunday Nov 1st), once they have enough people interested to make it financially viable, the second date will go ahead. Until they know the event is going ahead, they are not looking for any payment, just confirmation in an email or over the phone that you are interested in buying tickets and how many places you want.

Tthe event on Sunday will start a bit earlier, and will be without Brian Cox (Update 20 June: It is likely Brian Cox will be at Sunday event too). It is run by a small outfit, the website is primitive, but they have been doing these type of events for some years now. Tickets for the lecture cost £80, but includes an autograph; that is nearly half what it would cost for the autograph alone at private signings or organised autograph events.

Personally, I think it is worth every penny. Jim Lovell's agent has said this is most probably the last time Jim will be doing this kind of event in the UK. They also have a lecture for Eileen Collins if you are interested in the Space Shuttle programme:

http://space-lectures.com/eileen_collins_23.html

Paul

UPDATE 21st MARCH:

Well it looks like they have enough interest now for the Sunday event to go ahead, and are asking payment for the tickets. The tickets cost £80 each,

Please see flyer below for payment details, and please note that cheques need to be sent to the address detailed in the "Contact Us" section of their web site: (not to the Carleton Community High School where the event is to be hosted).

http://space-lectures.com/contact_5.html

Please include a stamped addressed envelope if posting a cheque, or add £1 to cover postage and packing.

Current timings for the event are:

- 11:00 - 11:45 a.m. - Photo Shoot
- 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. - Lecture
- 1:15 - 3:00 p.m. - Autograph Signing
There is a Q&A session to be added to that schedule, so the timings will change (I expect the autograph signing will be moved later, and the Q&A session put between the Lecture and Autograph signing).
You can follow them on twitter:

jimlovell_pontefract03.jpg

Edited by paulj
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like they now have enough interest for the Sunday to go ahead, and are now asking payment for the tickets.

I have updated my original post with further details, and a flyer for the event.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update, both the Saturday and Sunday events are now sold out.

Also it is likely than Brian Cox will be hosting the Q&A section on Sunday as well as Saturday (I know for some this will not be good news)

Best Regards,

Paul

• 4 months later...

Literally, just back home from this event, and thought it was awesome. Lots of info in the lecture from his early career, and a lot of detail on the Apollo 13 failure I didn't know. Probably information that is out in public domain, but I don't delve too deeply in to these things myself, but wonderful to hear it first hand from one of the crew himself. Theres another event in the pipeline for April, just announced with Gene Cernan, but that has either sold out already, or is close to selling out, price is a little higher at £95. I am really surprised Gene Cernan is doing an event in UK, I met him in 2004 in US, and he was very frail then, there was concerns he couldn't make that due to his health.