Building the Big Cat - Sinking claws in to the SEPECAT Jaguar

AjD

Does anyone know if there's a good acrylic paint out there for this Zinc Chromate colour? I'm a fan of the Gunze Sanyo/Hobby Color and Tamiya ranges but not sure if they carry it.

If someone has a suggestion that would prevent me having to mix it (then risk it drying up by the time I realise I need it again!) that would be really helpful...

Bit more done to the cannon bay this evening. Can post more pictures soon if anyone is interested?

• Like 1

Hi Perdu,

Oh...so I have overlooked something in the Tamiya range. Well that's brilliant so thank you for the guidance. I'm enjoying your Jag builds - good of you to help with mine as well.

Good work on the blast screen in your twin stick. I've got a comment that may help but I'll wander across and drop it in your thread!

Chris - I've not held the KH one in my grubby paws but in the pictures I've seen there's something not quite right about its profile to my eye. Mainly in the nose area. There's no doubt the detail's better and more refined but I fancied making use of my Airfix bargains

• Like 2

Incredible detailed work there.

The 30mm ammo was fed down through the chute in the roof of the gun bay, you can just see the natural metal lip in your photo.

The void you're building was where the link chute went. This carried the empty links & deposited them in that compartment. A hinged door in the lower skin was opened and you tried to catch all the links as they fell around you!!

The fired brass was ejected through a tube that you can see exiting through the lower skin to the rear of the gun bay.

Always was a puzzle why the Jag brought back the useless links & threw the expensive brass overboard?

As a side note: the empty cases being ejected down from that location would hit and damage the fins on a drop tank fitted to the centerline pylon. If you model a role fit with a centerline tank the fins should be removed, as this was standard practice.

Found this picture in the walkthrough section.

bay15.jpg

Edited by Phone Phixer
  • Like 4

The 30mm ammo was fed down through the chute in the roof of the gun bay, you can just see the natural metal lip in your photo.

The void you're building was where the link chute went. This carried the empty links & deposited them in that compartment. A hinged door in the lower skin was opened and you tried to catch all the links as they fell around you!!

The fired brass was ejected through a tube that you can see exiting through the lower skin to the rear of the gun bay.

Thanks so much for that explanation. Fascinating. I've slowly been working the mechanism out over the past few days and had concluded that this is the way it worked. Nice to have that confirmed and really interesting to hear all the detail.

Absolutely gold dust tip about the fins on the centreline tank as I may not have noticed that. This one will have two under-wing tanks though so I doubt I'll add one on the centreline...as much as I love the heavy look of that sort of fit!

Thanks again.

Andy..

Tremendously AWESOME workmanship. .

:worthy:

2019 : I guess I am in for the long haul.... phewf!

:popcorn::beer:

Yes, sorry...I expect to misplace then find my mojo a lot with this one!

Useful post about the cannon bay workings, I bet Andy knows that though

However I didnt and it helps me with my builds

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Hi perdu,

As I say, I'd only started to piece all that together. This is the great thing about BM though...generous sharing of information!

Cheers all!

• Like 2

Urgh...

So frustration set in a couple of nights ago. Finished the main part of the gun bay but had to accept larger screws/rivets on some of the sloped faces as I simply couldn't work much smaller. Then came to applying Mr Surfacer and discovered that some of the surfaces look a bit rough. The lower parts of the rear wall are ok but some of it possibly needs a re-work. I'm rather out of practice at this...

• Like 1

Always was a puzzle why the Jag brought back the useless links & threw the expensive brass overboard?

I was told they save the Links as these are machined parts and cost more to make than the brass cases, they re-used the links.

They were machined so they are accurate for the spacing to stop jammed shells.

The Brass was collected at the range.

Paul

I was told they save the Links as these are machined parts and cost more to make than the brass cases, they re-used the links.

Paul

Some aircraft keep the links, some the cases, some both, some none at all! so this does not ring true.

The links are spring steel stampings not machined at all. Strangely Brass cases as used on ADEN guns were jettisoned, Tornado and Typhoon 27mm has steel cases and they keep these.

It was more to do with stowage space in the aircraft and the ability to jettison cases overboard without damaging your aircraft. On jets your empties conceivably could FoD your wingmans engine.

Nowadays Its probably more of an Enviromental measure than anything else.

Selwyn

Not just your wingmans' engine; I can't remember the full details, but there was some issue with the early Scimitars, whereby they had engine problems if they fired both cannons at the same time. IIRC it proved to be something to do with shock waves interfering with airflow into the intakes, rather than lumps of brass flying straight into the LP compressor, but the principle is the same.

There's something in the Brigand thread about shooting yourself down, too!

Hi Andy

I just do hope you didn't want to use the 1/48 resin conversion set for your project.

It looks to me beautiful and very complete with full resin ejection seat, vac canopy etc...

And if not I would be interested by the reason why.

Could the reason be that you just like scratchbuilding ?

Thanks and congratulations for your work.

Madcop

Hi Madcop,

Don't worry, I will certainly be using the resin conversion set for the two-seat Jaguar. That will be attached to the rear fuselage as soon as all the internal parts are built. At the moment I still plan to scratch build those bits but we'll see how things go!

Andy

I will be following this build, I put my Jag up for sale a week or so ago but then removed it because I couldn't let that paragon set slip through my fingers.

Paul

At Coltishall the empty links were returned to the bomb dump, put in large boxes & sent for scrap.

• Like 1

In the Swedish Air Force it was quite popular among ground crew to make shot mugs out of the 30 mm Aden casings. They cut them down to about 60-70 mm height, polished them and chromed the inside. Perfect for drinking schnaps during the Midsummer festivities! :cheers:

• Like 5

• 8 months later...

Well, as embarrassing as it may be since my last post, I thought it time to add a little update. 2015 was one challenging and busy year so modelling's taken a back seat but the Christmas break has allowed me to pick up the scalpel once more so, after a gentle nudge from RMP2 and being inspired by that smashing Jag build here, and by others on BM, here we go...

Firstly, the intakes on the Airfix kit are moulded with the auxiliary air doors partially open. Clearly that only begins to happen when the engine's up and running on the ground in order to satisfy the air demand to the compressors but it means that position is inaccurate for what will be a dormant Jag in this case. A couple of layers of plasticard sanded to fit flush then scribed around the edge has rectified that.

IMG_0100_web_zpsubxtejdy.jpg

Then some work to improve the other end of what, in the Jaguar T.4 was an Adour 106 I believe - a rebuild of the earlier 104 engine. Lower right is the simplistic Airfix version (understandable given the vintage of the kit). Top right is the Paragon resin part (hard to find these days); and the rest is the surgery I've done to further improve that. The internal structure of the Paragon piece is rather thick, as can be seen by the plug I've removed centre left. So at the top is the rear section after I've thinned the walls, the centre is a piece of plastic tube with the afterburner rings from Eduard PE and the lower part is the resin nozzle.

IMG_0105_web_zpsikpgzbl6.jpg

That will all go back together to form a single unit the same size as the original Paragon piece but with a bit more depth and detail.

IMG_0114_web_zpsatlmjzrz.jpg

Ultimately, the rear face should given a fairly light metallic coat and a darker wash/dry brush, with the afterburner ring painted a bit darker yet receiving lighter details. I hope that will assist in the sense of depth.

IMG_0112_web_zps3d5lsgge.jpg

So, that's a mini update for now. More has been done but I'll hold off on adding that until a bit further down the road.

IMG_0107_web_zpshzscnx3y.jpg

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

• Like 7

Spent most of this evening trying to establish what the correct panel line pattern is underneath the wings. I think I'm now there so when time permits there will be some more filling and scribing to do :wall:

I had to make a couple of little compromises to make what should be fit the Paragon flaps and slats instead. Only minor deviations from reality so not something I'll be worrying about!

LowerWing_Replacing%20Detail_zpscazvrx3q

I'll hopefully get on to some more of the meaty modelling soon so apologies if this isn't of much interest...

I have to say, I've begun to wonder whether to take a second Airfix kit and duplicate some of this work whilst I've got all the reference in one place. I just wonder about a dual build with a view to parking the T.4 next to a certain GR.3A...

4.jpg

(Photo Karl Drage)

Hmmm.... :unsure:

• Like 6

Do it. Ive the Jag, a Mig-21 and a TF-104 on the go right now. Oh and a Land Rover that I dont talk about. Theres an Su-25 that poked its head up today too. I slapped it and told it No!

Go on, if nothing else I want to see what you can do with Airfix Jaguars.