Building the Big Cat - Sinking claws in to the SEPECAT Jaguar

AjD

Hello all,

Well this is a bit of a return to old ways for me. It's been well over two years since I've found time in my life to even think about modelling...work and children will do that to you! The last time I tried to post a WIP on BM it was Italeri's 1/48 Tornado converted to a GR.4 which started in 2008 and didn't reach a conclusion in Ready for Inspection until 2012 so I don't have a good track record!

However, in the hope that it may help spur me along a bit I figured why not post this on BM just to keep some pressure on myself!

So my plan is to take the Airfix boxing of the Jaguar GR.3/ES in 1/48 scale (also recently re-released by Revell):

JagBoxes_web_zpsf63fae04.jpg

Convert it to this aircraft which I was lucky enough to taxi a few times at Cosford a few years ago, using various bits and bobs plus plenty of scratch building:

JagXX835_web_zpsfdfdb1f2.jpg

Then end up with something similar to this, as per the previously mentioned Tornado:

IMG_1262c_sml_zpsd0abe299.jpg

Like the Tornado I have no plans to build it straight from the box. I hear on the grapevine that the newer Kittyhawk kit has its shape issues but stress I've not seen it in the flesh myself. Whatever the story there though, I've had this on the to-do list for a long time and, having built the Airfix Jag before, I know it's pretty good in terms of overall shape, if outdated in terms of surface detail. It's also cheap which makes it ideal for this sort of kit bashing and major surgery as if I screw it all up I'll not feel quite so bad!

So this is going to be a full strip-down and rebuild to see what I can get out of a relatively old kit.

See you at the other end...in 2019!

Andy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDITED: Added on 8 Jan 2016 for anyone building a Jag at the same time as this one:

JAGUAR REFERENCES

Useful websites:

SEPECAT Jaguar in Detail

Prime Portal - Jaguar GR.3/3A

Prime Portal - Jaguar GR.3/3A

Britmodeller - Jaguar GR.3/3A

Useful build threads:

Deanflyer's Jaguar GR.1 (A very nice build of the Airfix kit)

Neil's Jaguar T.4 (A beautiful full Paragon conversion - his own - of the Airfix kit)

RMP2's Jaguar GR.1 (A very good dual build of a Phantom and the Kittyhawk Jag which contains some useful comparisons with the Airfix version)

palacefan's Jaguar NS (The Airfix kit built as a Nigerian Jaguar International export, showing an alternative way to fit the Paragon flaps)

Mike's Jaguar GR.1 (The Airfix kit built very well with some lovely modifications made where needed)

Muzz's Jaguar GR.3 (A nice build of the ARTF snow scheme with some Paragon extras)

Piero's Jaguar GR.3 (As always, Piero's build are a cut above with plenty of detail)

Useful books:

SEPECAT Jaguar GR.Mk.1 - Aeroguide 2

Jaguars 1973-2007 - Royal Air Force

Jaguar A/B/GR.1/GR.3 - HT Model

Jaguar Squadrons - AD HOC

Jaguar - Aeroplane Illustrated

SEPECAT Jaguar - Pen & Sword

The RAF Jaguar - Patrick Watson

Big Cat Diary - Wg Cdr John Sullivan

Books%201_web_zpseletqwjy.jpg

After-market Accessories

Having decided to make this a dual build, I am planning to use a fair number of accessories so list them here to help anyone else who may wonder what's out there...

GR.3/3A

NeOmega Resin 1/48 Jaguar GR.3 cockpit set

- This will require further conversion to change the 12.5cm x 12.5cm (1:1) LCD Multi-Function Display of the Jaguar GR.3 (Jaguar 96) to the 15cm x 20cm Active Matrix Liquid Crystal Display (AMLCD) of the GR.3A (Jaguar 97) as it is the later type I am building in this case.

Note, Aires also do some decent avionics and cannon bays for the Jaguar but I've elected to scratch-build these. Worth also being aware that there are differences in the avionics bay between all marks of Jaguar. The separate gun barrels set is, I believe, only useful for French Jaguars.

T.4

Paragon Designs Jaguar T.2 conversion set (4895)

- A resin replacement for the forward fuselage which is sadly out of production and hard to find now.

Both

Aires 1/48 Jaguar Wheel Bays (4595)

- An excellent resin detail set which, along with the air brake interior set, is capable of fitting the Airfix kit quite nicely; despite being marketed as serving the Kittyhawk Jaguar.

Aires 1/48 Jaguar Speed Brakes (4606)

- Another top quality set which is designed for the Kittyhawk Jaguar but can be made to fit the Airfix kit very well too, even when used in conjunction with the resin undercarriage bays. Only one small snag in that the pressure refuelling receptacle in the starboard bay is moulded too small. Not a great drama if you're happy to live with it.

Master 1/48 Jaguar Pitot Tube & Angle of Attack Probe (AM-48-057)

- A high quality turned-brass reproduction of the Jaguar's pitot tube plus AoA vane. The pitot is a vast improvement over the chunky plastic or resin equivalents on the market.

Quickboost 1/48 Jaguar A Correct Air Intakes (QB48 573)

- An improvement set for the air conditioning pack atop the spine. Be aware that aerials for the Jaguar A are not necessarily suitable for the RAF models though.

Scale Aircraft Conversions 1/48 Jaguar Undercarriage (48037)

- A metal set of replacement oleos which are not only more detailed and crisp than the kit parts but, if you are adding a fair amount of resin and other details, will help support the weight.

Edited by AjD
  • Like 14

Still have the Jaguar on my wishlist. You're Tornado is looking amazing, nice diorama.

It's been on mine for a while too. My last was an airborne diorama from about 10 years ago but to be honest it was a bit basic so it's long since been scrapped. Thank you for the nice comment about the Tornado.

Was your Tornado dio in the Airfix mag a while back? - great build. Good luck with the Jag :thumbsup2:

Blimey that's a good memory! How on earth you remembered that I don't know as it was indeed a while back.

Well here we go then. Beginning with a trace of the kit's wing profile and engraved panel lines, I've begun to establish what's inaccurate on the upper surfaces. Disappointingly, that's most of it :confused:

UpperWing_RemovingDetail_zpsdc5ff589.jpg

So, the red areas are what I'll be working on deleting and then comes the fun of putting it all back again...obviously not in the same place!

One less than obvious part of the above diagram is the slightly inaccurate shape of the wing tips. The kit presents them as a constant convex curve but in reality they dip back in to create a more concave shape (or at very least a straighter one) from about half way along the wing chord line. It's very subtle but I'll be carefully sanding away a bit of material from the back half to try and recreate that.

WingTip_web_zps6b573b5f.jpg

I'll also be removing the leading edge slats, flaps and ailerons with a view to adding the excellent Paragon dropped equivalents from days gone by. Oh how we all miss your work Neil!

Having done some research in to other builds people have posted on various forums I'm anticipating a problem with the fillet in between the flap and aileron not aligning with the one on the lower half of the wing so the above process becomes all the more important as I'll make sure they're matched before cutting the voids. Hindsight is a wonderful thing so thank you to the wonderful people in question for allowing me to call it 'foresight'!

I'll be running out of steam shortly I suspect...

Andy

• Like 4

I doubt you will run out of steam Andy

I am going to enjoy this

I noticed the oddball tip curves on the 72nd scale ones I'm doing

To my eye the elderly (not quite as decrepit as they say) Airfix kit has better shaped tips than Hasegawa and Italeri

nice extra pictures for my Jaguar bank too ;)

bill

The messy filler application:

IMG_5321_web_zpsrganucdk.jpg

Then a bit of time spent comparing photos and my own plans to come up with a version of the Airfix wing with the correct panel lines marked. The green areas show where I need to add slightly raised detail as opposed to the scribing of new lines:

UpperWing_Replacing%20Detail_zpsn23saqkb

The plan was cut out and placed over the wing to give me an idea where I need to aim:

IMG_5679_web_zpsnu3wzvkr.jpg

Next step, produce a template for the major panel that I wanted to be my start point. The position of all others will be worked out from this:

IMG_5681_web_zps7c6pbbel.jpg

Attached that to the model, over the top of the guide to make sure I got the position just right:

IMG_5682_web_zpsidgttqah.jpg

Then lightly scribed the outline:

IMG_5684_web_zpswi2uqwmk.jpg

Removed the guide and worked the area a little more (with a P-cutter this time) once the location was established:

IMG_5685_web_zpspypirs7w.jpg

New panel lines begin to appear and the relationship to the old ones is pretty obvious too:

IMG_5688_web_zps2vuo8sgf.jpg

Have begun to remove the moulded slat from the leading edge of the wing as well. Slow but steady progress!

Andy

• Like 11

Quite a task you've set your self! I have a couple if the Airfix kits tucked away to build one day, plus a KH kit part built which frankly was pretty dissapointing given the price tag!

While building the KH kit I wondered if these beauties would fit the Airfix kit...

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4606

Yes I wondered about getting hold of those as the price doesn't strike me as unreasonable. I'm probably going to have a bash at scratch building the air brake bays as the kits ones are very basic. The undercarriage doors also need opening up as well I believe as I've not seen a Jaguar parked up with them closed. So a big job there too...!

Thanks for the suggestion and depending on how all that goes I may call that my Plan B. Then I'd be able to answer the question as to whether they'll fit!

Perhaps there are some Jag experts on BM who know of more issues with the kit...? Rear portion of the spine looks a bit squat below the tail fin too for example.

Andy

• Like 2

Yes I wondered about getting hold of those as the price doesn't strike me as unreasonable. I'm probably going to have a bash at scratch building the air brake bays as the kits ones are very basic. The undercarriage doors also need opening up as well I believe as I've not seen a Jaguar parked up with them closed. So a big job there too...!

Thanks for the suggestion and depending on how all that goes I may call that my Plan B. Then I'd be able to answer the question as to whether they'll fit!

Perhaps there are some Jag experts on BM who know of more issues with the kit...? Rear portion of the spine looks a bit squat below the tail fin too for example.

Andy

Following this with great interest. I've just bought the Italeri boxing of this kit, and will "borrow" some of your techniques. I've built a few of these kits over the years, one in ARTF Grey, and more recently a "pointy nosed" GR1 of 54 Sqn., I've yet to finish the Paragon T2 conversion that I started about the same time you started your Tornado it would seem!! On my GR1 I attempted to scratch build the main gear bays, there may be photos on here actually? Anyway this time I aim to use the Aires set. I think I've used my stash of Paragon slats and flaps, though I do have a 'burner' can set or two. Many years ago I managed to get a pair of Larger improved inner pylons as mastered by Neil Burkill, but never released by Paragon. Neil did a superb T4 build on ARC some years ago. Well worth a look....I bet my GR1 build takes longer than your T4 build!!! Edited by Bill Clark

Isn't that originally the old ESCI kit? If so the moulds must be close to 40 years old!

Following this with great interest. I've just bought the Italeri boxing of this kit, and will "borrow" some of your techniques

Someone actually asked me yesterday if I minded them using my drawings and photos, etc. I can't claim to be an expert in all this but if this thread helps in any way then by all means, fill your boots!

I've yet to finish the Paragon T2 conversion that I started about the same time you started your Tornado it would seem!!

Haha...brilliant! It's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who suffers from this problem! I made a rule for myself a few years ago, that basically keeps me to a max of three kits on the go at once to prevent me starting every last one in the stash and not actually completing anything.

Neil did a superb T4 build on ARC some years ago. Well worth a look....I bet my GR1 build takes longer than your GR3 build!!!

I have actually seen Neil's build. I stumbled across it when researching this one and there is no way that mine will be that good when finished. That's got to be the most stunning Jag I've seen to date...and I've seen some very good ones elsewhere too.

Isn't that originally the old ESCI kit? If so the moulds must be close to 40 years old!

Do know what? In my uneducated head I half a sneaking suspicion that the Esci kit comes from a different mould. I would defer to those with more knowledge on BM to give you/us the details of it's lineage though.

Anyway, a little more progress to post. Firstly, started looking at the areas to remove based on the Paragon instructions. Looks simple enough:

IMG_5727_web_zps1mgmz8w7.jpg

Then compared that to both the resin parts and my drawings. I was happy they all matched so cut the area from my drawing I was interested in. Only the lower part of this needs to be detached to fit the flap but I used the shape of the paper 'mask' to scribe the panel lines further forward:

IMG_5687_web_zps9rkjpgif.jpg

Finally, the bulk of the wing scribing is complete but needs a bit of tidying up in places, shown up by the coat of Mr Surfacer:

IMG_5982_web_zpsw0xu7drm.jpg

Bit more refinement to do and that should be the wing finished. Although...should I try to add the rivets or not...?

• Like 12

Incidentally, I bought my Jag off of a EBay for under £18.00 p&p included! Can't link the seller on here, but there are some left.

And Andy, I had considered filling and re-scribing the panel lines as they are a bit too deep and wishy-washy on this kit, I hadn't even considered moving them, totally oblivious as I was to them being in the wrong place! So thanks for that! Now from memory I seem to recall that Airfix's plastic was quite soft. The Revell kit hasn't landed yet so I can't compare, but what filler did you use to fill your panel lines? I'm just a it concerned that scribing over filler may just gouge it out....

And regarding the rear fuselage under the fin, I wasn't aware of a problem until recently when Mike Williams mentioned it in a thread on the Kitty Hawk kit. It should be easy to remove the fin, bulk the area up and replace?

I have the KH and Airfix Jaguars. Whilst I am no expert having spent a few hours comparing shapes vs the Jaguar's at Bruntingthorpe the Airfix kit is much closer shape wise IMO. The KH has quite a few issues - wing shape being one of them, saddle not having the right shapes etc. However the Airfix kit is not perfect and the panel lines (and whatever mould tech they have used for panel lines) are both wrong in a lot of places but also deep and not particularly nice. I have decided to ditch the KH Jaguar and when I do build the model I will use the Airfix Jaguar and follow this great thread.

• Like 1

what filler did you use to fill your panel lines? I'm just a it concerned that scribing over filler may just gouge it out....

And regarding the rear fuselage under the fin, I wasn't aware of a problem until recently when Mike Williams mentioned it in a thread on the Kitty Hawk kit. It should be easy to remove the fin, bulk the area up and replace?

I've used two. Initially the Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty, which I often swear by for a lot of jobs as it dries fast, sands well and can be applied though a syringe. So I was interested to know how it would do here and I have to say, where it remained in the panel lines it scribed well. The problem was that it didn't grip the plastic brilliantly so detached in chunks half the time. I've previously used it for other purposes and it's brilliant but I now know its limitations.

So I reverted to Squadron Green Putty in the end. If you're very gentle with the scribing tool and make several light passes rather than fewer more aggressive ones that works well.

As for the rear spine...interesting. My plan is indeed to take the fin off and reshape/bulk up the spine. That will also give me an opportunity to take the rudder off and build the actuator in.

So plenty to do...!

• Like 2

I've used two. Initially the Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty, which I often swear by for a lot of jobs as it dries fast, sands well and can be applied though a syringe. So I was interested to know how it would do here and I have to say, where it remained in the panel lines it scribed well. The problem was that it didn't grip the plastic brilliantly so detached in chunks half the time. I've previously used it for other purposes and it's brilliant but I now know its limitations.

So I reverted to Squadron Green Putty in the end. If you're very gentle with the scribing tool and make several light passes rather than fewer more aggressive ones that works well.

As for the rear spine...interesting. My plan is indeed to take the fin off and reshape/bulk up the spine. That will also give me an opportunity to take the rudder off and build the actuator in.

So plenty to do...!

Thanks for that Andy. Squadron Green Stuff? Very brave! I'm currently using tamiya putty which fills well. Not sure about scribing, but I'll soon find out. Incidentally I just dug out Neil's T2 build on ARC.. It was back in 2005!! Only a decade ago! Oh dear!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as expected I did stall for a bit but frustratingly that's nothing to do with lack of interest, simply because I had a nasty accident which has left me on crutches and enjoying plenty of time with the physio... :thumbsdown:

So, after two weeks I can now bend my leg enough to get it under a table and I've got back to the task at hand. It'll be some while before I'm playing sports or running so I suppose that's good reason to make more progress on the Jag!

Started work on the fuselage sides. The chunky old sprue give away the age of this Airfix kit!

IMG_5970_web_zpszt6cj1sy.jpg

Once again, a bit of sketching to work out where the duff panel lines were and what areas of the fuselage needed to be removed. The front section will be ditched to make room for the Paragon conversion, although if I have the will power at the end I do have an idea for the remains of the single-seat front end.

The cannon bay needed to be opened up on the port side but despite is being marked I may not do the same to starboard; firstly because I don't think I have the strength for yet more scratch-building and secondly because on the T.4 this was of course just used for extra avionics and not a cannon. The main undercarriage doors also had to be removed as I can't find many pictures where these were closed on the ground. That's the major blooper for this kit I'd say.

Then because by this point I was committing to some serious carnage the air brake bays had to come out too as the detail's pretty naff. I haven't yet decided whether to try and scratch-build the interiors or take SaintsPhil's suggestion and go down the resin route. I'll see how I feel after all the other work!

Finally, the fin is marked in orange as at some point I need to temporarily slice that off to correct the contours of the spine.

Fuselage_Removing%20Detail_zpsnk3zfl9p.j

So then I gulped and took the leap. A substantial amount of surgery later and I was left with quite a lot less plastic! I guess I'm committed now... :confused:

IMG_5971_web_zpsbyzfnwf4.jpg

I have also removed the rear portion of the cannon bulge to give some better access and it also allows me to correct some of the vents above the gas ports which are inaccurate. More of that later.

Finally for this session, the fuselage is now getting pretty weak so reinforcements were always going to be necessary. These are placed to form the basic structure around which I'll build the various bays as well. The locating pins on this kit are also next to useless so all this supporting plastic will be shaped to fit snugly together, thereby forming a stronger bond between the two halves when the time comes.

IMG_5990_web_zpsdbpisuah.jpg

Hopefully some more to come soon as although I lost my mojo for a few weeks this is a nice distraction!

Andy

• Like 11

It's no good now you beggar :(

I'm going to have to open the forward bays on one now

I think I will make it for another build now though, just sit back and enjoy this for what it is

Really impressive modelling

Little bit more progress this evening...

Having removed the cannon bulges I gained access to the incorrect vents below the intakes. Before removing them I added a piece of plasticard to the cannon bulges and ensured it was the correct length to fit snugly up against the interior curve in the fuselage above the intake. That was to help to relocate it once the vents were removed.

Jag%201_web_zpsu2uyqvpf.jpg

Then with the area I wanted to discard taken off I simply placed the plasticard strip against the interior face and the pre-determined length ensured that the cannon bulge sat in the right place once reattached.

Once that was done on both sides I turned my attention to scribing and cutting the replacement strips.

Jag%202_web_zpsuzb37qqd.jpg

Not an enormous change but the easiest way to correct the vents specifically.

Andy

• Like 4

So next was the start of the scratch building for the port cannon bay.

This has been one of those jobs that's taken an entire evening and what I actually have to show for it is pretty minimal so far! Getting the geometry right was the main challenge though so again I found a little sketch useful to form my plan for the main components. The green area again shows the major raised areas and the red the void in to some further ducting which I'm guessing was to do with the ammunition feed.

Gun%20Bay%20Port_web_zpsxsnecwoe.jpg

Sorry about the naff photography for this bit. I need to get a proper light box set up and the camera I once used for this sort of close up work is dead so I'm using a lens that's really not up for the job. But it'll have to do for now.

So the major bits have come together with a touch of filler necessary in places where the liquid poly ate a tad too much plastic (grrr...!). The little box is the ammunition feed (?) duct that fits in to the locating strips behind the rear wall and the last photo shows it all taped in place to prove the fit is correct...which it is...phew!

Jag%203_web_zpsddrwgqpt.jpg

More details to add next time I've gathered the strength!

Andy

Edited by AjD
  • Like 4