Testing Japanese aircrafts....in color period footage KI-84 HAYATE

JOAN

Those are fascinating, thanks Olivier for posting them. I was especially interested in the Ki-84 flying in the 2nd one, from about 5 minutes into the clip. I'm assuming that was its original engine, great to hear what it sounded like. Where did it end up I wonder?

Steve.

Hello Steve,

The second flying Hayate is the ac#1446 and actually it is probably the same on both footage. On the first one it is almost impossible to read if this is the S10 or S17 tested by US.

The 1446 leave the Ohta's factory ( Nakajima ) by the end of August 1944. The plane goes to Luzon in Philippines and was used by the 11thSentai, 2nd Chutai.

The plane was abandonned by japanese at Clark Field in March 1945, then tested by US forces and at least sended to USA on CVE-1 Long Island.

The plane was proposed to the National Air Museum - until 1952 - but purchased by Ed. Maloney for the Ontario Air Museum and coded N33856. The Hayate was restored to flying condition in 1963.( first flight on June 25th ).

Sold to Mr Lykins in the early 70's the plane was later sold to a japanese owner in 1973 ( Mr Morinao Gokan ) and goes to Japan in Kisarazu / Chiba for his new home ( the footage show this period )

On October 7th the first flight for japanese eyes since the war's end. After the death of Mr Gokan, the plane gone to the Arashiyama museum in Kyoto. Since the 90's the plane goes to the Tokko Heiwa Kinen-kan in Chiran, Kagoshima prefecture and is displayed since 1997 in good conditions.

olivier

Edited by JOAN