Horten HO-229 - 1/32 by Zoukei Mura

Hello,

this is my new projet.... the HORTEN HO-229 in 1/32 scale by Zoukei Mura.

I am planning to present it in the wonderful looking version with wood and metal surface.

The seatbelts coming from HGW, the wheels are the resin ones from Zoukei Mura, also the metal gears.

I started with the framework for the interior which consists of several thin frame parts which were all connected with each other.

So dry fitting is absolutly important to avoid later problems in the fitting.

After that I painted the finished frame work in green/grey color and brush painted the details of it. The metal parts were silver/gold painted and polished.

As next step I started with the engine nozzle and put together the first parts of it. Unfortunatley most of these parts are no more visible later.

Maybe I will find a possibility to keep one engine open so that the turbine blades of at least one nozzle will remain visible.

tbm4hc8q8n1.jpg

fzmz8wseswne.jpg

rqb4u7gk1cmf.jpg

qfc6tprjsgf5.jpg

ufyp44lszk72.jpg

c6jm5l3mb6w.jpg

syh99ci3anq.jpg

qpz1ucnxss.jpg

cp9rej886e7.jpg

j4yrmlvom7.jpg

Next step - painting of the nozzle parts in silver before putting the nozzles together (and trying to keep one open and the inside visible).

Cheers

Michael

• Like 8

I admire your willingness to take on one of these complex Zoukei Mura projects. There's so much to be learned about how these aircraft worked through building one of their kits. As projects of this nature are beyond my willingness, on this occasion I shall be content with being a vicarious modeller and will follow your build with interest.

Some new updates for the Horten HO-229. The framework is mostly mounted and painted.

The interior of the nozzles is painted, and mounted, partly pollished and ready for painting at the exterieur, before further parts will be mounted to it.

The painted framework:

hljnky89h2h7.jpg

w7rmiaxc6eej.jpg

The painted parts of the nozzles:

iqnwjg8xuf34.jpg

8xycy5div1rp.jpg

u8d1vxg9467q.jpg

The nozzles mounted and testfitted in the framework:

yszjt3xd9lt.jpg

q2767fp7guj.jpg

Next steps - outside of the nozzles painting (Silver, black, grey/green), then further details adding at the nozzles.

Best regards,

Michael

• Like 4

The engines were airbrush painted in silver / black / green from the outside.

Also all small stuff is painted in its colors, before all parts were mounted to the engines.

gdx3ypzi4ja.jpg

s51o7cghttn4.jpg

km1cwp1tef8w.jpg

ajplpp2gtv9s.jpg

heahjre6lsc.jpg

Next steps: Weathering of the engines, installing of the engines in the framework, weathering of the framework.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 3

I am thinking about the final decision of its exterieur color.... I have several ideas, but I am absolutly not shure, which one I prefer..... what do you think:

- light grey / dark grey camo, with red stripe at the back with the svastika inside

- grey / greed camo with the stripes on the back (as on the package)

- full one color silver/grey with one wing painted in red from upper and lower side with the svastika inside

- wooden color with silver

What do you think?

Cheers
Michael

Good question, it was never used in combat, or was in production. Build years back the Revell kit in 1/72 and used a standard three tone scheme, with the shades on RLM 82/81 and RLM 76 on the undersides.

I like the two tone grey idea.

I also like a USAAF scheme.

Or, even a Reno racer!

It never flew so why not?

But at the end of the day,

It is your model & you have to

look at it forever. We, on the other

hand, just see the finished pictures

and tell you how wonderful it is.

• Like 1

Hi...

thanks a lot for your help :)

My favorites are ...

355899_Gotha-Go-229_Horten-Ho-IX_Nurflgl(http://st.gdefon.com/wallpapers_original/355899_Gotha-Go-229_Horten-Ho-IX_Nurflgler_Luftwaffe_1680x1050_www.Gde-Fon.com.jpg)

ggho9-2.jpg

(http://www.luft46.com/ggart/ggho9-2.jpg)

(I hope that it is allowed to add these pictures here) :)

BR
Michael

• Like 1

Hi Bernd,
I think the same... light grey / dark grey camo..... :)
Next...
The finished nozzles were installed in the frame work, the upper part added and all washed with black and brown oil colors.
Next - the cockpit frame work is installed and drybrushed with dark grey and silver, after being painted in black.
The dashboard is a clear plastic part, the decal is cut out and glued on the back and painted in black. The displays were masked with maskol before the painting.
dp8ng6wmmg8v.jpg
peoeiq8amus2.jpg
6a7x969lk2h.jpg
i1dkxjbxu2h6.jpg
lxz69b9g3lm.jpg
7qymfyfvx8j.jpg
Next step - the landing gear... painting, mounting, installing, weathering. White metal parts and resin-wheels.
Cheers
Michael
  • Like 3

Can you imagine the noise in that thing?

"How was the flight, Herr Kapitan?"

"Eh?"

Not to mention the need for a fairly tough casing. Throwing a compressor blade could really ruin the pilot's day.

Amazing model though, isn't it? I love the complete lunacy of modelling stator blades. It's actually a shame to put the thing together!!

Kirk

• Like 1