Ju 88 STGB chat

One thing I've noticed on the A-14, is that the kit has a clear part that goes underneath the fuselage, aft of the bomb bay. The instructions call it an antenna cover, should this be clear or painted RLM65?

thanks

Mike

The dragon G-6 has this as well so i too am interested on this question .

Any ideas anyone?

thanks

Mike

That translates as semi transparent, so we're getting somewhere but what does it actually mean by semi transparent?

thanks

Mike

It looks to be transparent, but not a propper see through?! You can still see parts of the antenna. I think it was used as a aerodinamic device?!

Cheers,

I've just remembered I'm actually supposed to be building something here.....I'd particularly like to build a JU.88A-1 from my 1/72 Zvezda A4 kit, but when I last checked this was not possible due to the lack of a suitable rear cockpit transparency.....Is this still the case or is it now possible to build an A-1? :shrug:

Here's my reason: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/herefordandworcester/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_9040000/9040629.stm

Dilip Sarkar, our local WWII historian provided me with the following:

"We don't know for sure which unit was responsible for the raid, except to say that it wasn't from Luftflotte 2 (Pas-de-Calais). The reason we know that is because those German records survive - those from Luftflotte 3 (Cherbourg/Paris) were destroyed in 1945. The Storflug raids in the Midlands were largely carried out by Ju 88s of KG 51 Edelweiss, based at Paris/Orly in Luftflotte 3, so my money is that the MECO got hit by a machine from that unit. KG51 was active over England that day, so this circumstantial evidence all fits - but, because the records were destroyed, we will never know for sure."

My father's family lived not far from the MECO and several relatives were witnesses to the raid.....My Great-Auntie Phyll was adamant they were after her, personally! :lol:

• Like 1

I've just remembered I'm actually supposed to be building something here.....I'd particularly like to build a JU.88A-1 from my 1/72 Zvezda A4 kit, but when I last checked this was not possible due to the lack of a suitable rear cockpit transparency.....Is this still the case or is it now possible to build an A-1? :shrug:...

Depends on how much work you want to do Andy, the Zvezda A-5/A-17 kit contains virtually everything you need to convert to an A-1, with the exception of a decent set of plans to enable you to clip the wings and the single-gun unarmoured rear canopy (that is available as a vac-form in the Falcon set)... however my understanding is that at least some A-1s were retrofitted with the A-5 style unarmoured twin-MG rear canopy, so you could do what I did and plead ignorance :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I think we should all use Realistic Ignorance (Now referred to as R.I ) as a mental Putty to fill the gaps in .

Yes i,m sure i over heard someone say that they were surprised how many A-1's were retroffited to be almost identical to the Zvezda A-5/A-17 kit :pilot:

• Like 1

Haha, ignorance is indeed bliss :lol:

One of the problems/opportunities* is that most of the A-1 or A-5's that crashed in the UK (in a condition to be recognisable in photos) had the rear canopy ejected on or before the landing, so even where good pictures of the aircraft exist they rarely have the rear canopy anywhere to be seen.

Cheers,

Stew

* delete as applicable

Hmmm.....Sounds like I need to swap my A-4 for an A-5/17? Don't suppose I'd find any takers in this thread at all (particularly ones who wouldn't mind if I nicked the A-4's pilot figures first, 'cos they're ace)? :hmmm:

Lousy deals.....Get 'em while they're tepid! :thumbsup:

Planning on 1/72 Hasegawa Ju88R as PJ876 (have a thing for the rafwaffe) can't find enough pictures that show me the camouflage. Thinking instead I'll build hm509 (ju88a-5) if I can't find better reference pics of pj876

• Like 2

Planning on 1/72 Hasegawa Ju88R as PJ876 (have a thing for the rafwaffe) can't find enough pictures that show me the camouflage. Thinking instead I'll build hm509 (ju88a-5) if I can't find better reference pics of pj876

The camouflage seems to be the standard day bomber camo. RLM 70/71/65. exept 65 was changed to 76 (according to a aims decal sheet) http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Decals/AIMS/AIMS_48D007_Ju88_BMW.html

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Thanks very helpful! I'm dithering as one reference I have (the airframe history PDF) from the raf museum "at RAE in Luftwaffe c/s (black-green upper surfaces and light blue under surfaces) and minus radar antennae: Captive Luftwaffe (009336) p.75.

Flown to RAF Collyweston by Flt Lt H J King to join No.1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight, remaining with that unit until its disbandment. radar removed by this time and flying with dark earth/dark green upper surfaces, yellow underside and yellow `prototype' `P' on the fuselage sides"

So I'm a little confused whether pictures I have show the standard camouflage Over painted DE/DG/ yellow or whether in normal camo. On a side note I've found video and pictures showing A-5 HM509 well... Have both kits and looking at them may end up doing HM509 (though I can do pj876 in luftwaffe camo with roundels ala pics from its time at RAE...)

• 1 month later...

I think it's interesting that the first two entries in the Gallery have chosen the more difficult colour scheme. :thumbsup:

Don't worry Enzo, there will be more. :wicked:

Cheers,

Admitting defeat...Another group build that has gotten away from me not going to get this done (didn't even get a chance to start dueto work getting in the way)bugger...

Edited by Rafwaffe

Many thanks vppelt68 & smuts for hosting this G/B . I managed to finish two 88's with 10 days to spare . I think that if this g/b had taken place during the winter months then i would have attempted my 1/32 Aims conversion , as it was i had too much to do with other work so didnt want to start and get over the 20% preventing me using it for a future night fighter build .

I look forward to now starting my Fw190 and continuing with my crashing B-17 in the vignette g/b

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 2

Well, just a few detail bits to do on mine before it gets a matte coat and I can call it done.

Might be finally able to get my GPW entry started and get involved the the Vignette GB I'm supposedly co-hosting :S

• Like 1

Request to the hosts

Any chance that this g/b could be extended by a week to give some of the exceptional entries a good chance of being finished with out having to rush the final stages

thanks

Alistair

• Like 3

Request to the hosts

Any chance that this g/b could be extended by a week to give some of the exceptional entries a good chance of being finished with out having to rush the final stages

thanks

Alistair

Thanks indeed for the suggestion, Alistair! If it's only up to me and Andy, I'd dare to say "yes, of course" immediately. Not because my builds are lagging but would be finished during that extra week, but as you say there are "exceptional builds" that deserve to be finished and added to the gallery! So yes, if Enzo approves the suggestion.

Regards, V-P

• Like 2