Merlin engined P-40.

I see, unless I can't see, that no one has entered a P-40F/L with a Merlin up front. Well providing I have time, I'll have a go at remedying this omission and build my ancient MPM kit. Pic to come once I find the kit in my stash!

• Like 4

Definitely overdue.

Hi Paul,

A belated welcome to the group-build and well done for being the first to model the most elegant version of the P-40 and for doing so with probably the worst kit of it!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

Hi all. Thanks for the encouragement for the Merlin P-40. I'll be starting on it next week. Too much going on with the Father in laws funeral on Monday at the moment. Any postings I make currently are from work.

Re the P-40, its now a matter of schemes. I have the Sky decals and it looks like it has markings for the airworthy one at Duxford wears so may do that..... or a French one....

• Like 1

Had a few moments to do a few pre build pics:

IMG_7332_zpshd34aste.jpg

The vac form canopy is going to be fun. It looks a bit too narrow.

IMG_7333_zpsk3armlte.jpg

Was thinking of using my remaining Aires resin set to improve the VERY basic MPM rendition of the cockpit! I know the parts are more for an M/N but in this size I ain't gonna worry.... and it will hardly be visible under the framed canopy.

IMG_7334_zpscuy4b1mz.jpg

On the left the kit etch and on the rght the Aires set. Note the differences!

IMG_7335_zpspmyzy3x3.jpg

Quite rough edges to the plastic in places! So some cleaning up to do. On studying the parts, there is strong resemblances to the "other" makers kit parts I've built in this GB. And, is a very old MPM tooling when compared to those of nowadays. Just have a look at those 'thunder thighs' u/cart legs!

• Like 2

Nothing that a modeler of your caliber can't deal with... :winkgrin:

I have several early MPM's in the stash and they can look quiet daunting in the box.

Not sure about scheme yet but will probaly be 'sandy'. Been having another look at the parts and the "interesting" vac form canopy, I think I may well scratch detail the cockpit rather than use the resin which will be a pattern for which bits I'll make as not much will be seen through the 'clear' part framing.

• Like 1

Didn't plan on making a start on this one just yet but I had some spare time last night and done this:

IMG_7336_zps8sz3r0wb.jpg

Rad front with the kit etch in place. Plus I cut out the one and only canopy in the kit with great care as there was no going back if the knife slipped!

IMG_7338_zpscmjzz41j.jpg

Joined the fuselage. I'll be adding my own sidewall detail from the opening below. Not much but just enough.

IMG_7341_zpsssppyr2i.jpg

Wings. The rectangular part is the roof of the wheel bays with a bit of 'crude' detail but I can live with it.

IMG_7340_zpsl7nt5szo.jpg

wing from below.

IMG_7344_zpseamspuge.jpg

Prop. A small dimple on the tip of the spinner but can be cured.

IMG_7346_zpswowm2mxu.jpg

Hmm. Nasty looking seat and tabless tailplanes.

IMG_7348_zpswbplrqpv.jpg

IMG_7349_zpswns4ofdf.jpg

Ah. The seat looks much better now. Tailplanes clean up OK, mainwheels copies of the Hasegawa mouldings but in halves hence the sprue tabs. Might use them but I do have spare "Hase" wheels in case. Exhausts clened up too. But the legs.... they will need sorting or most likely replaced!

IMG_7350_zpsvawqkjgz.jpg

Sub stages so far...

IMG_7351_zpsnxqdw2hk.jpg

Choices.... I went for the spare resin panel from my previous build here. The etch doesn't quite cut it for me.

IMG_7352_zpsqzi15dew.jpg

Here, you can just make out the perfectly fitting resin panel and a bit more 'comfort' for the driver in his seat... And the Aires resin set, well, it will be included in my for sale post.

TBC.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

IMG_7353_zpsehlqdxmd.jpg
Assembly now progressed. Side windows fitted with PVA(thats what that white stuff is making it look a bit...hmmm....)
But it did dry clear.
IMG_7355_zps9m3exwqo.jpg
Kit cockpit eventually used. I didn't have much luck in getting pics of scratch built sidewall detail but it is there!
IMG_7356_zpsxcuyzdsz.jpg
Floor and seat fitted.
IMG_7358_zpshdgsfoxz.jpg
Wings fitted. Not a very good match at the LE roots but a bit of careful fettling remedied this area. That sink mark in centre is also now gone!
IMG_7444_zpsilwb1kp1.jpg
From above.
IMG_7445_zpsxfmauxdb.jpg
All primed up and prop loosely fitted for picture pose. I used nearly all the etch provided in the kit, including the tiny linkages from the leg cover to the leg except the instrument panel.
I was unable to find suitable undercart legs to rplace the kit items and so tidied up as best I could the kit parts. The wheels I did replace with a pair of spares from a Hasegawa kit. The others you can see here are the kit ones joined up and ending up much too fat! Also the tidied up exhausts. Again these bear a strong resemblance to Hasegawa kit parts but a bit cruder and so needed a fair bit of cleaning up. Not sure though, if hye are right for a Merlin P-40. The canopy fitted well even though I though I'd trimmed too much from the vacform part. I'll try and get some paint on between now and the weekend.

Cheers for now.

• Like 4

That MPM kit has more than a little resemblance to the Hasegawa P-40E kit.

• Like 1

Final in progress pic. Exhausts yet to be fitted and painted ,meanwhile main painting done and ready for decals. Next pics of the finished build will be in the Gallery section later today.

IMG_7450_zps48o5jp8x.jpg

Incidentally, I mixed up the camo colours to try and represent the American equivalents of the colours using Xtracrylics Dark Earth and Mid stone by adding a touch of white to the midstone and Testors Earth red to the dark earth

• Like 4

Thanks all for comments and encouragement. This is my third and final entry. I do have a couple Airfix P-40B but won't have time to do either of these but will at some tie ahead. Got to prepare my entry for the French GB.