VEB Tupolev TU-114 Aeroflot

Finally its done.

That was probably the most demanding build I ever did so far.

A lot of correction work was needed to turn this piece of plastic into at least a half decent airliner model.Way out of proportions like the too short fuselage and the way too big wingspan and other size discrepancies as well as a very brittle plastic gave me more than once nightmares.

The tail is also very badly warped.I couldn't correct it,but if its looked from the side its not noticeable.

The instruction sheet was no help to the build,so if there are errors I appologize.

I added some details to make it more lively as the kit is very basic.It may be not completely true to the original but it helps to make it look more interesting.

The doors for example are wrong in shape but I couldn't find anything else to fit in my spare parts box.It looks good enough though.

The polished parts on the engines were done with bare metal foil to add some structure to the rather dull looking engines.The cabin windows were filled with Micro Scale's Kristal Klear and the cockpit windows are from a TU-104 decal set that I ordered for my other ongoing VEB build.The TU-104 in 1980's Aeroflot markings.The set provided two cockpit windows so this was a great help.

But after all these obstacles were overcome,it turned into the elegant airliner the TU-114 is.

As the VEB kit is the only plastic moulded kit available,or better,was available of the TU-114,its anyway a very nice addition to my collection of vintage airliners and its a great addition to my ever growing VEB airliner fleet.

Dispite its many flaws I am happy to have taken the task of building it but its also very likely to be my only one VEB TU-114 as I wont have the nerves of building another one.

So now here she is...enjoy the russian lady

2015-02-22%2017.23.34_zps1kskmxra.jpg

2015-02-22%2017.23.44_zpsesaii0jb.jpg

2015-02-22%2017.24.09_zpsedrduxgu.jpg

2015-02-22%2017.24.46_zpslytpfpwq.jpg

2015-02-22%2017.25.02_zpskbofbmpj.jpg

2015-02-22%2017.25.30_zpsvrp3t0vm.jpg

2015-02-22%2017.26.03_zpsc7g8rwk6.jpg

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 17

Not usually a fan of airliners, but their is something about your builds, and this one in particular, that I like very much!
Great work! Very impressive looking model :goodjob:

Excelent build! And a pure nostalgy kit. My dad made it OOB about 50 years ago for my brother, and it still exists somwhere in dad's flat. Dad is 85 now...

Cheers

J-W

JFYI - VEB is not a name of the company, it means "People's Enterprise" - a form of public ownership in East Germany. The name of manufacturer is Plasticart or VEB plasticart for full (just like Revell GmbH is simply Revell but definitely not GmbH)

Lovely plane!

Edited by Pin

@26Decals,

Yes thats correct.The registration is wrong.Like I said in the thread I followed the instructions and there the picture shows the number on the left wing.I noticed the error after applying the decals but by then it was too late to change the whole thing.And as I had already so much trouble to get this thing together I left it as it is.Its in the correct order on the lower wing though...