British Army green

phildagreek

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

While Vallejo do an extensive range of colours,  overall I don't trust them to match a stated colour "with both hands and a map"....

But, FWIW, there is list of Model Color here

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/paint_conversion.php/manufacturers_id/1/page/1

with approx matches, which maye give you an idea

From the comments and photos above, you want a medium olive green.   I'd have a look what's available in the shop, bear in mind they tend to dry a bit darker.

For example, these are ones I'd look at,  (they are colours i have)  

VAL888  Model Color - Olive Grey  888  

VAL889  Model Color - US Olive Drab      

VAL924  Model Color - Russian Uniform WWII 

Note the WW" SCC15 Olive Drab is 15 (Olive Drab)

1pt 70888 Olive Grey [92] + 1pt 70924 Russian Uniform WWII [094] 

This gives a quite green drab, 

VAL887  Model Color - Brown Violet  887    RAL7013

Despite the name, it's an olive drab, browner than 889 above,   924 will fade it quite easily. 

Given the Vallejo I quote are ones I have used in mixes for US OD and SCC15,, these may get you into something that looks reasonable, 

It's worth getting some spare bottles,  (i got some 10ml off ebay) and making up little batches of mixes you like for projects, so you have enough for touch ups.

finally,  most colour deck are expensive and  FS595 deck is  £250 or so... ,

but e-paint do a RAL fan deck for £17

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL-colour-guides.asp

Only 213 chips, but which at least gives you some kind of reference..  and means if you ask about a colour you can get a better idea of of what is being referred to. 

HTH

Looking at this bundled info, I'ld say adding a tad more 924 to the SCC15 mix might do the trick.
Although it is still perhaps not grey enough, a bit too saturated.

Edited by Steben
  • Thanks 1

Well this is an even bigger rabbit hole than I expected!

@Troy Smith I have noticed that WWII Russian uniform paint mentioned in a few different places now so I might invest in a bottle of that. 

I went ahead and bought that Vallejo set so I can always experiment with that, if only for the NATO primer I suppose.

Although the overriding impression I'm getting is that there is so much variation that there is no true exact match. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheEdge said:

Although the overriding impression I'm getting is that there is so much variation that there is no true exact match. 

Amen to that brother!  A comment that can be applied to pretty much all of the many "exact colour" debates when one takes into account batch and manufacturer variations, age and environmental weathering.  And lack of effective codification as we move further back in time and outside the major combatants.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not advocating a free-for-all or anything goes approach.  But the quest for precise exactitude can lead to endless arguments and the sucking-out of any joy our hobby has.  And arguing it out on screens with different colour perception, different corrective lenses (or none), different screen types, graphics cards and screen settings builds in inaccuracy.  Current manufacturers and colour websites aren't even consistent today against the same standard.

• Like 1