Red Arrows Hawk with a bit of extra shine

Airfix 1/72 Hawk almost OOB with an LED in the nose, Painted with Humbrol 238 Red Arrows red. Stand is an acylic rod finished in Alclad and the base was painted with Humbrol gloss black and houses the battery. Only aftermarket is a Master Models pitot probe.

Work in progress thread

16423345690_cd4f8b8bb9_b.jpg16609736902_b741c1d10e_b.jpg15988195804_8d12c71d7a_b.jpg16424558389_e933f9a94a_b.jpg15988188264_363bb90b17_b.jpg16403079227_5042461b17_b.jpg16423358320_0295d853f6_b.jpg16423184788_4fff0dd662_b.jpg16609751452_5ebff8d696_b.jpg16423365800_0ec183c722_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

CT

• Like 47

Very nice Mark. Visually striking.

The red, chrome and black contrast beautifully.

Have you considered some kind of Red Arrow's logo on the base or perhaps a Diamond Nine type silhouette stencil in white?

The lit LED in the nose is definitely the icing on the cake.

Good job.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Very nice result - only 8 more to go?!

Nooooo! Sounds like hard work.

Have you considered some kind of Red Arrow's logo on the base or perhaps a Diamond Nine type silhouette stencil in white?

No not considered it...... yet, but that sounds like a good idea to me. I like that.

• Like 2

Looks great. I like the way you have offset the mount so you can display the aircraft banking. I see you have also included the arch support on the blast screen, nice touch that. The pilot finishes it of nicely. Well done.

• Like 1

I see you have also included the arch support on the blast screen, nice touch that.

The internal windscreen is included in the Airfix kit, but I think its in the wrong place as I think the top of the rear canopy is too long and the front not long enough.

The internal windscreen is included in the Airfix kit, but I think its in the wrong place as I think the top of the rear canopy is too long and the front not long enough.

I think I see what you mean. On Hawks, the internal windscreen is in line with the outer strap, which is then bolted to an inner arch. I thought that was what I was looking at. But on having another look, I think it's the edge of the inner windscreen I'm looking at, which I thought was the arch. Whatever it is, it's still a very good model you have made. If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try and explain better.

• Like 1

I think I see what you mean. On Hawks, the internal windscreen is in line with the outer strap, which is then bolted to an inner arch. I thought that was what I was looking at. But on having another look, I think it's the edge of the inner windscreen I'm looking at, which I thought was the arch. Whatever it is, it's still a very good model you have made. If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try and explain better.

Yes makes sense,

• Like 1

Beautiful result CT. Looks gorgeous. Lovely finish on the gloss red.

What's the outer strap? I thought that the white/cream arch visible around the inner screen was on the inside of the canopy and not the outside. Am I wrong about that? It's been a while......(and I'm a bit dimmer than Mark :))

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

What's the outer strap? I thought that the white/cream arch visible around the inner screen was on the inside of the canopy and not the outside. Am I wrong about that? It's been a while......

AFIK its on the inside, I intended to do this by painting the edge of the inner screen only but when the main canopy was fitted over it was evident that the canopy was a scale six inches thick, so painted it on the outside too.

• Like 1

Beautiful result CT. Looks gorgeous. Lovely finish on the gloss red.

What's the outer strap? I thought that the white/cream arch visible around the inner screen was on the inside of the canopy and not the outside. Am I wrong about that? It's been a while......(and I'm a bit dimmer than Mark :))

There is an inner and a outer strap. The inner strap is what first connects the front and rear mouldings together. An arch in then glued on top of the inner strap (it looks like a horse shoe with a flange round the outside). The inner windscreen is bolted to this. The outer strap is glued on the outside of the canopy to cover the joint. That's what you can see halfway along the canopy. Hope this helps explain what you want to know.

• Like 1

AFIK its on the inside, I intended to do this by painting the edge of the inner screen only but when the main canopy was fitted over it was evident that the canopy was a scale six inches thick, so painted it on the outside too.

It takes me so long to write something out, sorry. Painting the strap on the outside was the right thing to do.

There is an inner and a outer strap. The inner strap is what first connects the front and rear mouldings together. An arch in then glued on top of the inner strap (it looks like a horse shoe with a flange round the outside). The inner windscreen is bolted to this. The outer strap is glued on the outside of the canopy to cover the joint. That's what you can see halfway along the canopy. Hope this helps explain what you want to know.

Thought I knew what you meant earlier but now I definitely do, didn't realise it was two canopys, but two makes sense so that if one ejects and the other stays with it cracks from the shattered canopy doesn't propagate to the other.

It's all one canopy when completed, but constructed in two. The front moulding is 9.5mm and the rear is about 8mm. The inner windscreen is sometimes called a blast screen as it's job is to protect the rear seat occupant should the front seat occupant eject.

• Like 2