Frog Spitfire XIV and Flying Bomb 1:72

CedB

Having seen Fatboydim's RFI post of the Tamiya Meteor and Doodlebug I recently became fetishistic about a 1:72 flying bomb / Spitfire tipping pair, documented here. I had very little luck finding a 1:72 V1 until, at the Fleet Air Arm model show yesterday I found this:

D399AE77-24A8-41E3-B457-B7AB01F99172_zps

When I suggested doing a WIP Procopius posted "I hope you do, especially if you build the Spitfire XIV; it's one of those kits that "everyone knows", so we never see it being built.". So here you go.

A few starter photos to edit in Photobucket while listening to the Arcers omnibus so I'll post this and come back soon.

• Like 12

Not sure if anyone's read post 1 so I won't edit it... don't want you to miss any of this drivel.

First the now obligatory pics of my 'workspace'. it's actually a room in the house we used to call 'the Office'. I have a small business and work from home so a mixed environment.

B31C0EE9-1680-4145-A945-22AFDF3EECB2_zps

Zoom in on the build station.

E205DAED-5805-48EF-A989-8A67AC886E5A_zps

You can see here how the last year or so has progressed and that the shopping (and BM browsing) has probably taken more of my time than the actual modelling. Lots of stuff here:

- Swann Morton scalpels, two size 3 retractables with 10a (general slicing) and No 6 blades (canopy masking) and a size 4 No 23 blade for bigger stuff

- Paint storage rack for the Humbrols. I naturally gravitated to these from genetic conditioning

- Tamiya extra thin and Humbrol liquid poly and precision poly. And the old stuff in the tubes (mainly for sticking pilots down now - I like the 'wiggle') and SuperGlue.

- loads of brushes. Still deciding on my favourites.

This is where 'the real work' happens (ignore the joystick, I haven't used that for ages), overseen by the Germans. Especially the Stuka bombing my current efforts.

3B706797-3A0C-4F95-A378-854C78C3F7F1_zps

And the spraying station:

90234FA4-1C9E-4E5A-AA1A-E3D25C7EDFC6_zps

Loads of stuff to write about this, mostly thanking Paul at Modelling Tools for all his help. Note the Vallejo presence. It's the marketing. I now know that the really nicely packaged sets (I have RAF WWII and Luftwaffe WWII) contain probably 3 or 4 useful colours and others that I'll probably never use. Ah well, I can pretend I'll use them for testing.

Do you want some personal history too? I went to the battle of Britain memorial in June 2013 and, by luck, they had an open day, including the Airfix team. "I used to enjoy that" I thought. And the rest is history. Bought the BoB flight starter set (see top right of ceiling). Joined BM in September '13 and only done one WIP before, here.

I really enjoy 1/72 modelling, all aircraft and mostly WWII. I really enjoy BM too and the advice and experience is, IMHO, unrivalled. (What a creep).

Right, Archers over. Obviously he wasn't going to leave Brookfield, we all knew that. But Kenton's spent his share already. There's going to be tears.

Where was I. Ah, a model. Better start another post methinks.

• Like 11

Didn't Frog also have a version which had a photo frame that you could mount the dogfight on?

Patience mon brave. (See sprue shots below)

Back of the box:

E2851239-38B0-4050-9DE6-D6B7CE42DE9F_zps

The first picture in this thread shows that the box was sealed in what looked like the original plastic - good news.

Notice the '3-40' in pencil here on the left, written through a tear in the cover. Doesn't match the £9 sticker on the back - bad news. But this is a 'rare' kit and I had to have it (see V1 fetish notes above).

Not very happy with the 'colour painting guide', especially for the V1. Found a useful link on BM (of course) here so I may need some help choosing the right colours. Or I can just use the guide that came with my Vallejo sets (ha ha, lol etc, sometimes I just think funny things (quote from "Arthur")). I may suffer some 'analysis paralysis' on this: already spent loads of think time last night about printing photos, rescaling and cutting masks... or free hand? Hmmm.

Obviously I'm going for the 'Punjab' Squadron scheme as that was in Belgium and the other is Hong Kong. Is 'Punjab' in Belgium? Methinks not. Did they have V1s in Hong Kong? Ditto. Not going for historical accuracy then.

The model. Concentrate Ced. Firstly the 'Skybase' - this may be what Low Flyer was asking about (but there's another stand too!!)

35A19CE7-C58F-431A-9C51-5BD4E7FBAD90_zps

You can stick this on the wall (there's a sticky pad provided) but I think I'll pass.

Instructions:

68F26924-6CA8-437C-9585-8CF622633F39_zps

i don't think this is going to be too hard (famous last words). Step 1 is building the V1 (yeessss!) and step 9 is the stand assembly (this one Low Flyer?).

There's also, on the back, '10 Top Model Tips':

3A09728A-F187-4AEA-8B34-BC0A55381B71_zps

1 - Paint the pilot on the sprue (OK)

2 - Cut the tyres off the sprue

3 - Don't use lots of cement

4 - Find a matchbox from somewhere

5 - Use masking tape for the stripes (what stripes?!)

6 - Use a pin to drop stuff in the prop

7 - Tweezers, got it

8 - Pencil in the camo - Aha! So that's the top tip. Throw away those masks guys

9 - Cut your brushes up for stippling

10 - Um, er, something to do with decals.

This is not going to replace BM for advice and guidance, is it.

OK, here are the four main sprues:

B6F80BE2-77A0-4054-9513-590EAFE4BE69_zps

BCE318AE-DCB3-4712-A7F9-A40F9DB44A2F_zps

You can see that the V1 (yeeesss!) and the stand take up most room. Surface detail looks nice on the wings but pretty basic elsewhere. What were you expecting?

And the pilot has no cockpit detail to look at but he's small anyway. Tiny in fact. Are the Airfix ones to scale, or the Frog? Perhaps that's why Stew Dapple is having a squash in his Do17s?

And this was also in the box:

3AF052CB-D3CE-4DD5-B6D9-BA8F9FD32BE3_zps

Not a very good focus (sorry) - it's only an iPhone and I kept wretching. There are two options for the canopies - bad and worse? Once I clean this up we'll have some more thinks.

OK, let's build a V1!

• Like 10

Cool! :coolio: Love your workspace! I built this old chestnut a couple of years back. A really nice little kit theres a display stand with it although it only allows the Spit to chase the V1. Have fun with this one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tour! I get the sense you really enjoy your hobby. What is the model directly above the white lamp with your goggles hanging off it in the first pic?

Quick zoom in for you:

C6701E67-5184-4497-9E7F-1D36E2640E60_zps

Clockwise from top left:

- Frog Gloster Whittle E28/39 Pioneer (another show purchase. Probably won't buy anymore 'vintage' models as they're often disappointing compared to new tools)

- Airfix TSR2

- Airfix Lightning F.2A (first real NMF with Alclad and AK metal)

- Airfix Whirlwind WIP, paused for this trail

- box for the Skytrain in my D Day set (WIP here)

- two P-51s in here waiting for the Memphis Belle in my stash (scary). I used these for the NMF tests for the F.2A, posted here.

The first three are just waiting to go on the ceiling.

• Like 4

I built one of these donkeys' years ago. I seem recall that both have accuracy issues, but to my low-capabilty eyeball they look like a Spitfire and a Flying Bomb. Looking forward to this.

• Like 1

My Father bought me this kit when he first took me to the RAF Museum shortly after it first opened. It was an almost perfect day for this small boy, one which I will remember for the rest of my life. As such I will be taking a great interest in this build. :popcorn:

Martin

• Like 4

I too remeber this kit, maybe form my early teen, has to be one of Frogs better box arts for the day. As has been mentioned elsewhere on BM, nothing you can't achive with a Frog kit...

Colin

• Like 2

Ahh thanks! I didn't see those on your shelf first pass, but I was wondering about the hanging bunch? Is that a B-17?

Obviously I'm going for the 'Punjab' Squadron scheme as that was in Belgium and the other is Hong Kong. Is 'Punjab' in Belgium? Methinks not. Did they have V1s in Hong Kong? Ditto. Not going for historical accuracy then.

Aww, too bad, both schemes float my boat. I have a few XIV's hanging around so there is a virtual battle for scheme assignment. I am digging the SEAC's lately thanks largely to a generous donation of decals from Procopius! ...but that Belgian base aircraft looks nice too. I'm a sucker for stripes.

There's also, on the back, '10 Top Model Tips':

1 - Paint the pilot on the sprue (OK)

2 - Cut the tyres off the sprue

3 - Don't use lots of cement

4 - Find a matchbox from somewhere

5 - Use masking tape for the stripes (what stripes?!)

6 - Use a pin to drop stuff in the prop

7 - Tweezers, got it

8 - Pencil in the camo - Aha! So that's the top tip. Throw away those masks guys

9 - Cut your brushes up for stippling

10 - Um, er, something to do with decals.

This is not going to replace BM for advice and guidance, is it.

OK, let's build a V1!

Seeing those tips made me a bit wistful, you see, I am a Technical Illustrator by discipline and it would have been excellent to have worked on these instructions back in the day. Sadly CAD has reduced this to rendered outputs.

• Like 3

Good luck with this project. I was at the FAA model show yesterday. It was a good day with some great bargains. Also, having a chat with a few old faces that you only see at shows. Looking forward to seeing your finished models :)

• Like 1

Bit of confusion until I realised that this kit has the part numbers on the parts, not the sprue. Start with No 51:

D156ADEC-D8BD-4655-B3A7-5905D54379C1_zps

Push fit looks good so I'll be using the Tamiya Extra Thin to get that nice join for quick sanding (hopefully);

3DC64B26-486B-4A82-97A7-FB661884FBC1_zps

1F7D9512-4F15-44B2-B4CF-CA5C2536A003_zps

Well, that was quick. Like the actuality of most fetishistic fantasies I guess.

Time for some lunch while I wait for the glue to do its stuff.

• Like 2

Ahh thanks! I didn't see those on your shelf first pass, but I was wondering about the hanging bunch? Is that a B-17?

Ah, OK. All Brits - the one you're querying is a Airfix Short Stirling (A07002). My US area is yet to be started. Another look (full details in my scalemates here):

B31C0EE9-1680-4145-A945-22AFDF3EECB2_zps

From the left

- Trumpeter Wellington. Trying to instal the Eduard PE bomb bay in this nearly finished off my modelling career, document here.

- Airfix Victoria Cross set (Hamden, Hurricane, Fairy Battle and Blenheim) with a 'vintage' Lizzie underneath. This had awful decals and trying to make new ones drove me mad.

- Airfix Spit Mk1 (new tool) - lovely build

- The Stirling

- Airfix BBMF (A50116 old set); my first three models this time around and

- last but not least, Airfix Mossie.

• Like 5

I don't know where to start!

The build is awesome but that office/workspace/funzone/cracking awesome room takes me back to my happy days at home with the folks with the builds all hanging from the ceiling!

and I have to say....and I don't know if anyone noticed...(but they will all go back and have a look now.. :winkgrin: ) ....there's a bomb just released hanging at just the right angle below the diving Stuka.

A clear masterstroke :coolio:

Can't wait to see more.

Chocks away!!!

• Like 3

Love it planes hanging form the ceiling and a teddy bear on the PC screen. Bliss. Thanks for the pics. I had a mobile I made up in Jo'burg with two of my egg planes attatched an RN Phantom and a Thuderbirds F-16. I must resurrect it.

Colin

• Like 2

I don't know where to start!

The build is awesome but that office/workspace/funzone/cracking awesome room takes me back to my happy days at home with the folks with the builds all hanging from the ceiling!

and I have to say....and I don't know if anyone noticed...(but they will all go back and have a look now.. :winkgrin: ) ....there's a bomb just released hanging at just the right angle below the diving Stuka.

A clear masterstroke :coolio:

Can't wait to see more.

Chocks away!!!

And so there is, that teddy is going to get it!!!!

Great office :)

• Like 3

I built one of these donkeys' years ago. I seem recall that both have accuracy issues, but to my low-capabilty eyeball they look like a Spitfire and a Flying Bomb. Looking forward to this.

Me too, converted mine to a PR19. It was the only readily available Griffon engined Spit at the time, mid '70s, came out OK but the model lacks the sculpted underwing fairings and looks very 'lean' around the nose.

• Like 2

Thanks guys! The 'teddy' is actually a Meerkat screen wiper. Not very realistic I'll admit. I like Meerkats. Us old blokes have most things we need and just buy stuff we want. I made the mistake of saying I liked Meerkats to friends and family. Now, when they don't know what to buy me for Xmas / birthdays, I get something to do with Meerkats. I won't bore you with the collection. It's big, and getting bigger.

Anyway, more build.

Thought it was going well until I spotted this ejection dent:

F1EFF778-6430-4FAB-898B-BC7B4FF39DF1_zps

Quick bit of Humbrol filler sorted it out. I like this stuff for this sort of problem because it's a bit 'hot', can be moulded and cut / shaved as it dries and it dries quickly. I also use the Vallejo plastic putty for gaps (smoothed with a wet cotton bud) great for wing root gaps and have just bought some 'Perfect Plastic Putty' as everyone here raves about it.

Out with the precision poly and the Lego 'jig' to make sure the tail is upright:

5C08A4D1-9971-47EB-9706-4DA10863798A_zps

I wasn't sure whether to airbrush or hairy brush this. There's sort of a pressure when you have the kit, so used the white tac sausage method to prepare for the AB like this:

DB8C2E21-9948-4031-BF16-B8810CD1582C_zps

As you can see in this picture this model is very small, not far away. (See posts in Mr P's thread referenced at the top for explanation of this 'joke'.)

Not too pleased with the results of the sausages - not wavy enough - obviously too small for this technique. Also had problems with the Vallejo Model Air again. I find the stuff starts well but then starts clogging (forgot the enhancer) and, when you pull back, suddenly clears and spurts out. Must remember the flow improver next time.

So out with the hairy brush and some Revel acrylic. This had gone gunky (technical term) so thinners and flow improver to the rescue. And here's the result so far after today's efforts:

41D9752D-E984-4015-87FC-2598E21DD054_zps

Needs a bit of TLC when fully dry but, as the reference material shows, I don't think they spent much time tarting these things up before they sent them across the channel.

Quite pleased so far. When looking for reference material came across this:

_58_zpsee6b58b9.jpg

From Oxford diecast. Not impressed - poor came scheme IMHO and look at those gaps!

Next is the Spit (you've been very patient Mr P) and the first job is painting the pilot (see top tip number 1). As I've said before I thought he was tiny, so I got out the new tool Airfix Blenheim Mk 1 for comparison. What the??!! So got out the Do17 that Stew's been having trouble with and found this:

0B275BE5-2269-4E4B-B047-A2AC93AD85CA_zps

Dark colour is the Frog Spit pilot, then to the right the Blenheim pilot between two Do 17 guys (the ones with only one arm). I think the Frog / Blenheim guys look small but you can see why the Do 17 'fatties' are causing problems, even without their arms fitted!!

That's enough for today I think. More on the Spitfire soon(ish).

Thanks for looking.

• Like 11

When I suggested doing a WIP Procopius posted "I hope you do, especially if you build the Spitfire XIV; it's one of those kits that "everyone knows", so we never see it being built.". So here you go.

I had a really long post that included two rather clever jokes about Wilson and Heath building the Frog Spitfire, but the board has consumed them, it devoured it all before my eyes. In any case, a splendid thread. Those top tips will prove most useful.

Thanks guys! The 'teddy' is actually a Meerkat screen wiper. Not very realistic I'll admit. I like Meerkats. Us old blokes have most things we need and just buy stuff we want. I made the mistake of saying I liked Meerkats to friends and family. Now, when they don't know what to buy me for Xmas / birthdays, I get something to do with Meerkats. I won't bore you with the collection. It's big, and getting bigger.

Something very similar happened to me with hedgehogs.

• Like 1

I had a really long post that included two rather clever jokes about Wilson and Heath building the Frog Spitfire, but the board has consumed them, it devoured it all before my eyes. In any case, a splendid thread. Those top tips will prove most useful.

Thanks Mr P and I'm sorry we're going to miss the joke!