++ completed ++ Fantastic Plastic 1/72 Caprica Air Force Jet Viper

trickyrich

It was a hard choice deciding what to build for this one as I wanted something nice and simple....for a change. This was just such a cool model I knew I had to build it as soon as I found it, just wish it was 1/48th, but at least it is resin!

DSCF2051_zps055339d4.jpg

This model was originally meant suppose to be the Caprica Air Force fighter jet but due to changes in the show, it was only ever seen as a virtual world fighter!

This is a nice simple model so hopefully I can get it out of the way fairly quickly, it will be a straight from the box build.

DSCF2052_zps8870e3c0.jpg

DSCF2053_zps20e85d9f.jpg

The resin moulding is very nice so it shouldn’t take a lot of work to clean up.

I can’t wait to start this one, it should be lots of fun.

Here are some shots of the Viper from the artist who created it website.

http://www.pierre-drolet-sci-fi-museum.com/viper-air-force

• Like 2

I need to say that that is a nice looking kit. although the intercepted one is looking very nice as well. :coolio:

Cheers,

I thought you had something planned for this one?

I've had a bit of a closer look at it today while the Boomerang is sitting to one side.

The mouldings are just so crisp and clean, there will be very little clean up required. The only issue I can see so far is that the canopy is too small, as if it has shrunken quite a lot! Plus the cockpit is a bit bare, so will do a few mods their, I'll build a mod free model one day.

The rockets are a bit small and wuzzie so they're going to be replaced....have raided a Typhoon model for them!! :D

Am really looking forward to this one, will be lots of fun!

ok time to make a start on this while "Kermit" the Boomerang's paint is drying.

Well there is not a lot to this model but what is there is pure resin joy! It’s moulded in a lovely cream resin with nice crisp details, no flash and best of all no bubbles......some pro-resin casting!

DSCF2203_zps104bujlh.jpg

As you can see the details are quite nice.

DSCF2204_zpst4kijasg.jpg

Captain Scarlet is along for the build due to a slight mishap in the SPV!!!

Ok two things that do needs to be fixed though...

1, the weapons supplied wouldn’t scare anyone!!! They look so under scaled for 1/72nd and pretty lame as well! So a couple of bit from the spares box and now we have something a bit more appropriate!

DSCF2207_zpsrvcmniux.jpg

2, the cockpit & canopy, some work is going to be required here. First off the canopy is moulded resin which isn’t that bad, it’s just not very clear. I should vacform a new one, but I’m not too sure at the moment. But the main issue is that the canopy is too small for the cockpit opening! This will require a wee bit of work, at the moment I’m planning to move the canopy slightly forward and rebuild the back section. I want to maintain the correct profile so this seems the best way, plus I will need to do some detailing of the cockpit itself as it is a bit bare!

cockpit%20issue_zpsyzn6gz18.jpg

The main fuselage components have been glued together with nice clean joins just a quick touch-up with file/sandpaper required, plus a couple of bit of filler require in a couple of spots.

fuselage_zps03phrb38.jpg

I like the look of this and can’t wait to spend more time on it.......just have to get the Boomerang out of the way first.

DSCF2210_zpscwwwjkr7.jpg

DSCF2211_zpsaxqijh4a.jpg

I know I wasn't planning to do any mods but.......I couldn't help myself!

First up there are a couple of small circle things on each side of the fuselage, don’t know what they are meant to be but they weren't round so I decided to replace them.

moulded%20circle_zpszzusg2wq.jpg

A wee bit later and they look much better...still don’t know what they are though? :unsure:

Behind the nose intake there is a moulded cowling which didn't look that great, so out with some thin brass sheet and they were replaced. Looks much better, just need to be cleaned up.

front%20cowling%20louves_zpsgojrmuih.jpg

The canopy as mentioned is too small. I wasn't sure how I was going to fix this. In the end I thought I’d try making my own. So using the original as the plug I vacformed a new one over it. It actually isn't too bad at all and is now the right size as well. This is only the second time I have ever tried this, the first time was the first attempt (plastic wasn't quite hot enough). Now I just that to sort out the rear framework for the canopy which should give it some extra strength.

DSCF2226_zpsznmpjcwa.jpg

Next the cockpit, which was quite bare. With the new canopy I could raise the seat up which it needed as it was too low. I boxed in the rear section of the cockpit plus made a back for the ejector seat. Plus did a bit of panel work in the front section, now it looks much better. Just need to now add some seatbelts, control stick, and gun sight before painting can start (seat and rear body work can just slip out to make painting easier.

DSCF2223_zpsect7sqf9.jpg

DSCF2222_zps5amvj3nf.jpg

The main air intakes had a slight gap and sat in a bit too much so some plastic sheet sorted them out.

DSCF2228_zpspldcilj0.jpg

Looking even better now! Just a wee bit of filling required and some tiding up, especially around the new cowling section and the body will be complete.

DSCF2229_zpsmadoxpka.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good.

DId you get that kit in the UK (assuming you live in this green, wet and pleasant land) or import it?

Noooo, I'm from down-under in God's-own!!

Got this from an American web site, Monsters in Motion. They have a fantastic range of SciFi stuff.

• Like 1

mmm they're not cheap, but I have a thing for resin stuff and loved the look of this. Though I did think it may be a little bigger than it actually is!

wow - that is some beautiful resin casting right there! So nice crisp and clean. And a very cool looking subject. You've captured the right angles in your photos - the box art doesn't do it any favors IMO. I eyed this up on Fantastic Plastic a while back and thought about it briefly before moving on, but it's great to see one of these being made up. Is the body solid cast or hollow?

wow - that is some beautiful resin casting right there! So nice crisp and clean. And a very cool looking subject. You've captured the right angles in your photos - the box art doesn't do it any favors IMO. I eyed this up on Fantastic Plastic a while back and thought about it briefly before moving on, but it's great to see one of these being made up. Is the body solid cast or hollow?

the body is hollow cast but the walls are nice and thick. The casting is almost up there with the stuff produced by Fisher Models & Patten and if you know there stuff it's truly amazing (have an 1/32 RB-51 that I need to finish one day!). As mentioned the casting is by Anigrand which is some of the best I've seen by them!!

It's a bit expensive but if you're into resin (like me) or this type of model then it's worth a look.

• 4 weeks later...

gosh I am lagging right at the bottom of this build!

Ok I really haven't that much to update on this one, I had to finish off the Boomerang, which I did! Then got side tracked on all sorts of goodies I bought last shift, some Dust Models 1/35 beasts, a 1/35 Master Piece Models Hellcat, and a 1/35 Trumpeter E-100 Jagdpanzer! Believe it or not they are all for two dioramas I have plans for!

Ok back to this wee beast. The fuselage needed a little bit of filling around the engine intakes and nose intake, once dried this was sanded but. I will need to re-scribe a couple of bits but no big issue.

The rest of the time spent was again on the cockpit area, the canopy still didn't quite fit right and was a little bit short. So to fix both of these I cut the rear deck section off the canopy and made a new section from card. This will allow me to move the canopy forward a wee bit which will help with the fit and give me a bit more support for the canopy. If I can't get it right I may mount the canopy in the open position, seeing as I am doing so much work in this area it may be the way to go?

Sorry no photos this time...I forgot.

Once I get this canopy/cockpit sorted then the rest will be smooth sailing and pretty quick to complete.....I hope so as I have the P-38 STGB next on the bench!!

• 4 weeks later...

WHAT!!!! :gobsmacked:

I did think it was till later in the year.....and i'm the HOST!!! :yikes::frantic::frantic:

OH DEAR......

well I have been trying to make a start on the Lightning, have decided to have the cockpit open. This will save a lot of time fiddling around getting the new canopy to fit. So will try to get the cockpit painted and completed, that done and the rest is easy.

Hmmm will I finish in time........maybe! :whistle:

Thanks Arnold! :P

• Like 2

There are too many great GBs all at the same time - I have still to finish my Char 2c for the Achtung Panzer, then there is my 6 wheel Tyrell for French Fancies and next week we have non-injection moulded and Phantom II, plus there are more Sci Fi things to build - AGH!!!! :)

However, I'm not complaining - I'm enjoying building them all!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well after what seems like forever and probably was, an update!

With my crazy work life and other projects this one has been pushed to one side, but have had some free time while waiting for bit on the Lightning to cure/dry.

There are still a couple of issues with the new canopy fitting but I think I have a cunning plan to fix those……I will have the canopy open! This should save me some fit issues plus I still had to make the canopy a bit longer to fit, so opening it should do the trick. Plus with the cockpit detail in modules it will mean it will be easier to paint and I don’t have to fit it until towards the end which will be nice!

DSCF2292_zps45fammhb.jpg

DSCF2293_zpskrafxbky.jpg

The wings and tail have been fitted, again the fit was almost perfect so just a couple of dabs of filler and that was sorted. I’m very much to the stage that I can start painting. The original scheme was a bit bland but I will stick with it an just make a couple of alterations that should give it a bit more life.

DSCF2291_zpsln2mypum.jpg

DSCF2295_zpsuswpryuh.jpg

DSCF2294_zpssduqzec8.jpg

Just stuck the bits of to see how she is looking, I do like this model a lot!!! I wish someone would do a 1/48 or 1/32 version, would buy that in a flash!

DSCF2296_zpsh5sry8dk.jpg

DSCF2298_zpstkkweomx.jpg

DSCF2299_zpscogqwedp.jpg

The instrument panel has tipped over in this photo!

Though there isn’t much to do I’m very worried I won’t make the finish line with this one, it’ll be close, but the Lightning has priority, I’ll do little bits and pieces as I can. But not to worry I’ll be finishing this one for sure!

• Like 2

That looks superb! Great work on the opening mechanism.

I have left poor fitting canopys open before too, got an aftermarket kit for my evangelion f22 - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978480-evangelion-148-f-22-raptor/?hl=evangelion- fit was horrendous, so I just thought 'oh well, gear down canopy open it is then!'

I'm now half thinking of finishing this with the gear up as the U/C is pretty crap and it looks really good posed in-flight per the last photo.

Plus it will then fit of the shelf, I'm fast running out of room....best not let SWMBO know that!!

• Like 2