WIP: Zvezda Yak-3 1/48

ronnierex

Sorry to switch things up again but I have repainted the blue arrow in silver. I just wasn't digging the blue. :/

photo1_zpsaca823ed.jpg

I also started the lower color. Let me say again how much I enjoy spraying AKAN paints!

photo1_zps4d839480.jpg

Thanks

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I am not the only one who wants to ask - what do you think of the Montex paint masks? They don't have a good reputation from what little I have read on other reviews, yet I don't see any adverse comment from you about them, other than the worry that you hadn't got them on straight. Most other comments I have seen tend to indicate poor fit, difficulty in getting them to conform and adhere and lifting at unwanted moments

You seem to have got on OK, so any feedback gratefully received!

Cheers

Les

• Like 1

I'm sure I am not the only one who wants to ask - what do you think of the Montex paint masks? They don't have a good reputation from what little I have read on other reviews, yet I don't see any adverse comment from you about them, other than the worry that you hadn't got them on straight. Most other comments I have seen tend to indicate poor fit, difficulty in getting them to conform and adhere and lifting at unwanted moments

You seem to have got on OK, so any feedback gratefully received!

Cheers

Les

Thanks Les, so far so good I say with the masks. This is the only set of masks I've ever used. Granted, I've used Eduard copy masks, but I feel like those are a bit different.

I don't really know what to expect from a set of vinyl masks. I haven't had any lifting, but I have had some sizing issues on the stars. In my case, it seems like the thinner or smaller the piece, the more it had "shrunk" or didn't fill it's spot in the mask. This could just be based on user error. I've already decided that next time I'll do the masks after painting the camo for simplicity sake. I do have two other sets of Montex masks, but they will be used for much simpler items like the later single color Luftwaffe crosses and single color numbers. I have yet to life the upper stars, numbers, and arrows, so I know there will be much more coming.

So all that to say, I like them. I don't love them, but I do really enjoy the painted on markings. So whether or not I use Montex again, I'll use masks whenever possible. Of course, I will say that I'd love masks to be cut on the amazing yellow kubiki tape (I think that's what it's called) we all love.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

AMT-11 and AMT-12!

Again, let me say how much I enjoy these AKAN paints. They spray straight from the bottle, forgiving, and the colors look great.

photo1_zps3a339a27.jpg

photo2_zps9c8d8826.jpg

photo3_zps32c37499.jpg

photo1_zps69116e3a.jpg

photo2_zps4121e50e.jpg

photo3_zps92f33db7.jpg

I'll have more pics as I pull the masks off.

thanks for looking!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If your'e trying to depict your model close to the real thing I would suggest you to restrain from making it look so war weary. Those machines weren't built to last and the latest ressearch suggests that VVS ground crews were kinda proud of their airplanes and were under orders to keep them clean and well mantained. And since YAK-3 was their newest and ablest...

But of course it's up to your personal prefference or artistic freedom.

Keep up the good work!

Josip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Yak lives! It's approaching the flight line. Modeling time is at a premium with the new baby. School is out for the summer so I have a little more time.

I've been learning about filters on my Panzer III build, so I applied it to the Yak as well. I guess I've heard it called a dot filter. I've seen some stunning results and have never had the guts to try it. It's a subtle thing, but now that I've got some layers I can see a difference in the tone and blending of the paint and painted markings.

photo1_zps80c3fe6b.jpg

photo2_zpsa92c48fd.jpg

photo3_zpsf0df68c0.jpg

photo4_zps8f555872.jpg

I also used some ammo streaking and wash products to get the stains. I borrowed them from the panzer, so the colors aren't what I wanted, but they are very nice products to use. Easy to get a good look.

I should have more soon!

thanks,

• Like 1

Hi!

I hope this link help You with pictures. This repost from Russian web about planes

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/yak3.html

http://www.airwar.ru/photo/yak3-1.html

Чертеж (рус) - it is mean draft

Good luck!

those are excellent, thank you! Great pics, especially in the second link.

If your'e trying to depict your model close to the real thing I would suggest you to restrain from making it look so war weary. Those machines weren't built to last and the latest ressearch suggests that VVS ground crews were kinda proud of their airplanes and were under orders to keep them clean and well mantained. And since YAK-3 was their newest and ablest...

But of course it's up to your personal prefference or artistic freedom.

Keep up the good work!

Josip

Thanks for the advice Josip. I will try to keep it down. That is always where I can improve, I tend to go overboard a little with weathering.

Beautiful!These Zvezda kits are outstanding......can't wait to see the Gustav!

Cheers

Manu

Agreed, that Gustav should be fun! I'm also interested to see Eduard's reworked gustav too. Not holding breathe of course, it's just a kit. :) ha!

• 2 weeks later...