WIP: Zvezda Yak-3 1/48

ronnierex

Happy Weekend,

Here is one of my current projects, a Zvezda Yak. I've had this kit for a little while and have had it near the front of the queue for some time. Other projects have shuffled past it several times. Now it's on the bench.

Great little kit with good fit. I understand it may not be perfect, but I've enjoyed it a lot so far. I especially like how Zvezda has provided for a full engine or not. If you choose to display the plane closed and sleek, then you don't need to bother with the engine, framing, or cowlings at all! There are three large pieces provided for the front that fit well and aren't trouble at all. It seems to take away the fiddly-ness of a fully engined kit. I ALMOST built it open, just for something different. Maybe the next one. I've opted for the speedier build. Too many other projects competing for bench time. :)

Paints are AKAN, and I'll be using montex masks for the first time. (fingers crossed) I am also using a vector prop and an Eduard PE set for the eduard yak-3.

Cockpit:

not my best, but not my worst. :)

photo3_zpscdfc07b2.jpg

photo5_zps16e3f297.jpg

photo1_zps9671db9f.jpg

photo4_zps04792f25.jpg

photo2_zpseeef204e.jpg

Some basic scratch build on the rear deck for interest. I actually don't know what that's supposed to look like. I guessed.

photo_zpsbe8af887.jpg

Gear bays:

photo3_zps2d5e98e4.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by ronnierex
  • Like 6

Here is some shots of the engine that I'm not installing. I am planning to build it and put it on a display stand to have next to the finished model.

photo3_zps9dec7c86.jpg

photo1_zps67f83900.jpg

I'm going to paint it up as Yellow 24. I have yet to use masks for finishing (besides canopies of course) and I'm excited to get to try them. But I'm also a little nervous.

5281DA62-ABEC-40E8-989C-E36B6F0CC886_zps

So far so good.

photo2_zpsf6cf8d8c.jpg

Thanks!

• Like 7

I see that you've got a replacement spinner. Is it from Eduard kit?

It is the only real flaw in this kit.

Josip

Josip,

I'm using the vector resin prop. It was made for the Zvezda and Eduard kit. At least that's what is says on the packaging. I got mine state side from spruebrothers.com.

I really like it. There might be a slight size diff from the front and rear sections of the hub. The pieces were so easy to remove from the pour stubs! I like that.

thanks,

Thank you for the kind words!

looks fantastic to me. I really love Zyvezda kits they are always fun and fit well.

I've been surprised! I didn't really know much about Zvezda kits till this one. Someone told me some good things about this kit and I got one. Now I'm interested in trying some of their other kits. Especially the La-5 kits they did. I've also heard they are coming out with a 109G kit, so that will be one I might add to the stash. Which ones have you built robvulcan?

Nice work on the interior - the cockpit colour looks good.

Regards,

Jason

Thank you Jason. I was going to use Tamiya's RLM gray for the interior color as I really didn't have a clue what color it should be. Since then, my friend let me borrow his AKAN VVS colors for this bird including the interior color. I think it's called Steel gray. I like it. I hope to build more VVS subjects in the future so I'll be grabbing these paint sets for myself soon.

Edited by ronnierex
  • Like 2

You're welcome and you're correct; the name was A-14 Steel Grey. RLM 02 Gray is too greenish; the real Soviet colour was a very neutral grey. I use Testors Model Master Neutral Grey - it's probably a bit lighter than the AKAN colour, but I think it's pretty close to samples I've seen (and have) of A-14.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words!

I've been surprised! I didn't really know much about Zvezda kits till this one. Someone told me some good things about this kit and I got one. Now I'm interested in trying some of their other kits. Especially the La-5 kits they did. I've also heard they are coming out with a 109G kit, so that will be one I might add to the stash. Which ones have you built.

Hi I have the tiny 1/200th LI-2 which was my introduction I could not resist something cute like that and was blown away by the quality and since read great praise for the kits and I have bought the 747-8 the 767 and though not finished test fitting shows the quality is there and I am now back on eBay looking at the little kits they make like the hurricane. There is just something about their kits that I like including the very reasonable price and interesting subjects. I don't know if they are super accurate but they look right to me and. Are fun to build. Their glazing plastic has a nice quality that is unique in my expirience too.

Cheers Rob :)

Nice job on the cockpit and I'm very interested to see how those masks work out for you. I'm working on the Zvezda Yak-3 in 1/72, the snap-fit version, where the instructions would have you paint the interior in 'zinc chromate green'. It sounded believable enough, unlike the suggested camo-pattern in 'steel' and 'european green'. Otherwise, it's a rather nicely detailed and very well-engineered kit for its price and scale.

• Like 1

Nice job on the cockpit and I'm very interested to see how those masks work out for you. I'm working on the Zvezda Yak-3 in 1/72, the snap-fit version, where the instructions would have you paint the interior in 'zinc chromate green'. It sounded believable enough, unlike the suggested camo-pattern in 'steel' and 'european green'. Otherwise, it's a rather nicely detailed and very well-engineered kit for its price and scale.

This page is the best I've seen regarding Soviet VVS colours; the primers are at the bottom: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/color-table.html Frankly, I have no idea what Zvezda are talking about with a camouflage pattern of steel and European green - the scheme should be AMT-12 Dark Grey and AMT-11 Grey-Blue over AMT-7 Blue.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

This page is the best I've seen regarding Soviet VVS colours; the primers are at the bottom: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/color-table.html Frankly, I have no idea what Zvezda are talking about with a camouflage pattern of steel and European green - the scheme should be AMT-12 Dark Grey and AMT-11 Grey-Blue over AMT-7 Blue.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks for that link. I will be using the AMT-12, 11, and 7 for this Yak. All from AKAN.

Nice build. I like the Zvezda kits and have the Yak as well as the MEs and can't wait for them to release the 109 G6 this year.

I will be building one as well. I'm also excited to see what Eduard is doing to their G6 as well. The race is on for the best 109G. Meanwhile, this Yak is fun!

Here is a small update. I dipped the canopies in future and masked them. Post worthy because this is my least favorite step. :)

photo2_zps2a1c661f.jpg

Should be ready for paint soon. :) Well, at least primer. :)

Thanks again for the kind words

• Like 1

I love the Yak-3, probably my favourite WW2 Soviet Bird. I didn't realise how small it was until I sat my completed 1/72 Zvezda kit next to an Airfix Hawker Hurricane. Fantastic work on the interior there and you'll have no issues with the AKAN paints and colour matching, I really do need to get myself some

Edited by Dynamo11
  • Like 1

Masks!

Um... how do you know if you got them straight!?!?!??! We'll find out when it's all done as to how straight I got them. Well, I'll make up some story about a drunk ground crewman applying paint.... ah...

Here are the red of the stars. Fun so far. :)

photo1_zps17ec790b.jpg

photo2_zps5547d913.jpg

photo3_zps2c9578ca.jpg

I tried to do some variation, but as you can see, it got lost in the multiple layers of red.

thanks for looking!

I'm going to paint it up as Yellow 24. I have yet to use masks for finishing (besides canopies of course) and I'm excited to get to try them. But I'm also a little nervous.

5281DA62-ABEC-40E8-989C-E36B6F0CC886_zps

So far so good.

Thanks!

It's late, and I'm not going to go doing too much digging, but I'd ask if this really is Yellow.

Yellow was not commonly used in VVS markings, as it was the Axis theatre marking,

Fw_0020_190_0020_A_0020_JG54_W11_0020_fa

Specified colours were white and silver

the Yak-3 under restoration at Le Bourget, note the different numbers applied at different times, there is a thread somewhere on this restoration

p9221210.jpg

http://forum.aviation-ancienne.fr/t7564-yak-3-roland-de-la-poype-normandie-niemen

I'll try to think if there is more information on this plane.

OK, remembered

http://airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-3/yak-3_color.html

incredible site , maybe 20 pages of Yak profiles, but if the profile has

" фото" means photo, there are photos for the profile.

all from the same unit, 18 Gv IAP, 303 IAD.

photo_yak-3_10.jpg

#24, arrow and number same tone? Number maybe lighter? , possibly coloured fin tip,

I'd be inclined to go with red, but field applied, note star centres,

photo_yak-3_11.jpg

Note, #12 the arrow number are a very close tonal match to star outline, number appears lighter though, duller star outlines may well be silver.

photo_yak-3_03.jpg

maybe white number and arrow, maybe silver.

Judging colours from B/W is a tricky business, and these are spring 1945, yellow has been reported late on in the war.

• Like 3

Troy Smith

Thank you! You have excellent timing. I have been wondering about the color of the 24 and the arrow. This is the first VVS plane I've built, so I'm very much a beginner (in many ways) in color selection.

I will be checking out those links

thanks

Regarding blue, that was an approved colour, so it's a possibility. It was used for the numbers on some Lavochkin fighters, for example, and it was used on spinners on the Il-2.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. I know you meant it as a joke, of course, but if a crewman had actually painted an official symbol of the Soviet Union like the red star drunk, he would have soon found himself in a punishment battalion at the front!

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2