Frog 1/72 - Westland Wyvern

Westland Wyvern S.4 No. 830 Squadron FAA H.M.S Eagle, Suez Campaign 1956, Operation Buccaneer

Frog 1/72 kit (~45 years old)

Built pretty much OOB, sanded off and rescribed most of the raised panel lines, drilled out the exhausts and replaced with modified "drinking straws, boxed in the undercart openings. Drilled out the fuselage "camera ports" (?) and created windows with Klearfix. Overall fit was excellent, and original decals performed flawlessly, although had to double up the wing roundels as they were somewhat translucent. Painted entirely with Humbrol paints (Sky, EDSG) and final Vallejo Model Air matt coat.

Thoroughly enjoyable build.

P1090903_zpsepglfyvn.jpg

P1090886_zps5zh41w84.jpg

P1090885_zps1kb9wjtp.jpg

Edited by Garethster
  • Like 34

I absolutely love Frog kits. I know they have their shortcomings, but they have a certain chunky charm I just can't explain. Undercarriage doors that are a foot thick at scale etc. and this one is lovely, really nice work. Well done Garethster!

Great job indeed!

Frog kits are great and they were, in my eyes, the only company that printed beautiful decals with the right colours! I always found their British roundels spot on when everybody else printed them in garish tones! And yes, most of them still perform very well.This Wyvern was an excellent choice.

Well done

JR

Grumble, grumble... now I'll have to finish my Trumpeter ones.

Stunning work Gareth. Just goes to show that you don't always need the latest and greatest. And to the heretic who said 'unlovely', fie on you, sir, fie! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing my long standing affair with Frog, here's Westland Wyvern S.4 WN325 wearing the "plums and custard" livery of 830 Squadron while aboard H.M.S. Eagle during Operation Musketeer in 1956.

107koqv.jpg

mbl64l.jpg

33udel5.jpg

hu3d3k.jpg

2w6s36r.jpg

Beautifully ugly? if there is such a thing, Wyvern's 'it'! ! Perhaps I should finish mine, given these as superb examples. It's waited unpainted since 1968. Don't keep on at me ! I will do it! I just haven't had time!