Heng Long Tiger Pro - need advice

Hi all,

I'm not big into Armour, don't know my tanks well so would like some advise and what you think to this idea.

Firstly, I would like an R/C Tiger tank, on a budget, I know this does not bode well, but hear me out....

The R/C is not to go blasting everywhere but more as a novelty (it will sit in my display case most of the time), the Tiger has to look like a Tiger (so long as it looks OK, it does not have to be rivit correct), It HAS to be a Tiger, early or mid. King etc is no good, it's an Tiger early or mid or nothing. But most importantly I do not have an endless budget, less than £200 is my total budget.

Soooo, my thoughts....

Purchase a Heng Long Pro Tiger 1 (with the metal tracks), more for sturdiness, then purchase a Taigen Tiger 1 upper hull.

Add or rework any areas that I can, add a few scratch built bits

Re-Spray the whole thing.

Total purchase price will be in the order of...

£109 for the Tiger

£59.49 for the upper works.

What are your thoughts? Can I make a decent looking Tiger out of this? As I say it is novelty factor for the R/c so it's not the biggest part of the project so the fact it is not scale speed etc is no matter, not that the gears clank etc etc.

TANK2_zpszv748ozl.jpg

TANK1_zpshf6jz5at.jpg

Perhaps consider the one with the metal lower too... I think you can get those off-the-shelf, or could when I was looking. :)

Try Welsh Dragon Models if you've not found them already. Very handy for parts, and he's well clued up on what's good & what isn't so could probably answer your questions with a view to a purchase ;)

Hi, Pittnuma.

Just in case you've not tried this already..... It would be worth you keeping an eye on E-Bay for 1/16th scale tank parts. To give you an example, I recently bought a 1/16 Sherman turret for less than 10 quid on the 'Bay (looks to be in new condition). It could prove a cheaper source of the bits that you're looking for. If I remember correctly, there was a King Tiger upper hull on recently for less than 20 quid.

Cheers.

Chris.

I emailed Welshdragons, the top I would be getting from there but they were advising an upper, lower, new tracks, wheels and running gear, it was getting well over 300 all told. Well outside my budget.

I was wondering about the lower. However, I was thinking, with a bit of work I'm sure I could get a decent finish/work on the std? and as Chris points out they are available on ebay reasonably cheaply.

Has anybody just taken 1 of the std kits and reworked that? Did you get a satisfactory model? I'm no rivet counter so for me it does not have to be perfect down to the last rivet.

IIRC there's an issue with the HL tiger upper Hull and the turret ring being in the wrong place/size. Do a little research Road that, and check whether any prospective new upper resolves that, as there's not much point otherwise. :(

IIRC there's an issue with the HL tiger upper Hull and the turret ring being in the wrong place/size. Do a little research Road that, and check whether any prospective new upper resolves that, as there's not much point otherwise. :(

Quite correct Mike.

IIRC,it was one of the things HL did to avoid copyright issues with Tamiya and to give room

to fit the airsoft gun in.

Here's the fix:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11512917-hl-tiger-1-turret-center-point.html

Edited by Miggers

Thanks gents, great link Miggers, have you done any upgrades to your HL Tiger or is that stock? Presuming you have done the alteration to the turret.

So, up shot is, as I intend to respray there is NO benefit from getting the Taigen upper.

I shall purchase the Pro (with metal tracks etc), so far cheapest I have found is £109 inc P&P, strip it down, fix the turret and respray, adding any small bits etc that I fancy along the way.

Edited by pittnuma

All I've done is the usual corrections to bring back to where it should be.

Not touched the turret positioning at all.

It still has it's plastic hull and suspension,still runs HL all plastic gearboxes,though

they've been modified to give a lower 3:1 drive ratio and it now runs Tamiya tracks.

They're much less prone to jumping and being thrown than the stock HL ones.

Internally,it has some extra bracing fitted to make the hull stiffer,a big heatsink fitted to the

original Rx13 board,and a homegrown muzzle flash and recoil unit.

The Tx has been modified so that you have FWD/REV/speed control on the left stick

and steering on the right.

Coupled with it's 3:1 ratio gearboxes,that set-up makes it much easier,smoother and more realistic to drive.

It's had a repaint too,but other than those simple modifications,it's just a basic OOB

7 year old Tiger 1

Edited by Miggers

They can be made to look good, I would go with the metal lower hull and track as it rides more realistic over rough ground, you may want to replace the wheels with asiatam ones with the bearings in them, trouble is the cost tends to start to creep up.

Have a look on ebay as they come up quite often second hand, if your planning on doing a repaint etc might be a better way to go.

My one

IMG_2877_zps33a921ec.jpg

IMG_2876_zps80eac237.jpg