Matchbox 1/72 Wellington. Nice relaxing oob build

From a time when etched brass , resin , and detail sets in general were unheard of , comes the old 3 colour Matchbox Wellington. I loved the Matchbox kits when i was a kid. I must have built and "crashed" most of them! Roy Huxley's artwork was always very inspiring to a young model maker. I probably built about 3 Wellingtons , but i always did the coastal command one. This time i will be building the Mk.X.

I am really looking forward to this , no extra details , nofancy pre shading etc , I may not even use the airbrush. Well here we go.

Heres that fantastic artwork

welly1_zps356773e0.jpg

And the back , complete with little window to see the contents

welly2_zpsfa6f633a.jpg

The 3 colour parts!

welly3_zps70f8a964.jpg

And a stand , yes a stand! Why do we not get some of these things in todays kits?

welly4_zps403e1bf8.jpg

Edited by gunpowder17
  • Like 6

I loved Matchbox kits. They produced some real gems. Good luck, and enjoy yourself. :)

• Like 1

There were a few that i never built. The HE-111 , the privateer , B-25 and B-26. Were they just as "good"?

I never made any of those, I made their biplanes mainly. I also made the Skyservant, Twin Otter & Sea Fox to name a few.

I never made any of those, I made their biplanes mainly. I also made the Skyservant, Twin Otter & Sea Fox to name a few.

Oh yes the Sea Fox. That was a good one. I think the Stranraer was another of my Favourites. I have the Revell boxings of the Walrus and twin otter. My Dad loved the Siskin , Fury and 1/32 Tiger moths i built.

Great stuff! looking forward to this,look at that box,no wonder we lapped these kits up when we first saw them!

Funny isnt it. I have an Airfix 1/24 Typhoon and the HK B-25 to finish , and i have been more excited about this kit!

Mike Silk of Modeldecals told me, the money Matchbox made from their early biplane kits paid for the tooling of their 1/72nd Flower Class Corvette.

Heres the highly detailed Cockpit!

It has to have the men in it if its using the stand.

welly5_zpsb57a638d.jpg

Ahh the joy!

I love the old Matchbox stuff, I developed my skills on these early kits. I always loved the little preview window on the back of the box.

It builds up well

frontquarter.jpg

IM000036.jpg

looking forward to seeing how yours comes out,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3

I love Matchbox!

Have done since I was a kid and rode down to the local variety shop with my pocket money

Built nearly all of them just about! There's an unofficial but really nice Matchbox site here http://www.matchboxkits.org/ which shows all the kits in the colour ranges and years released.

It's worth a look just to go through every one of them and say...."yep built that , built that one, wow forgot I built that, yep built that one, built that"......LOL :analintruder:

I made all of the 1:32 Matchbox in the day....did a great Dauntless and Lysander. All dispatched by the family cat when I was about 15 or so!

I have recently purchased an original 1:32 Matchbox Lysander which I look forward to building once I work through some of my stash from other manufacturers.

Here's the Lysander in the stash

10636595_324225507739247_234330608456015

Really looking forward to this Wellington build....It was one of my favourites of the larger boxed 1:72's from Matchbox....that and the Privateer.

Quite amazingly my Mum kept some of the old builds after I left home all that time ago and about 18months ago gave them to me when she realised I was starting to build kits again with my 5 year old son

Without hijacking the thread here's a few photo's of some authentic Matchbox builds from the mid to late 70's made by me back in the day.

Good luck with the Wimpy!

Cheers

Bruce

1495904_254157731412692_789550948_o.jpg

1496507_254159201412545_1206684653_o.jpg

1531935_254159421412523_731114874_o.jpg

1618124_254160031412462_1494286679_o.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 4

This is going to be fun! I have been on the cusp of building this kit myself a few times recently. I also feel that this kit, along with Matchbox's Wellesley, still has the best representation of geodetics going.

Martin

• Like 2

Great photos. I always feel kind of sad when i see boxes of built damaged kits at shows. Its knowing they may have bene built back in the day by some excited kid. Maybe i should rescue one one day

Heres the cockpit finished. I didnt want to go to town on the pilot figures so i just did basic painting

welly7_zpsfd802d6f.jpg

I painted the frames the same way i used to. Paint them as best you can , then thanks to the raised matchbox frames , run a cocktail stick around them to removes excess paint from the glass part.

welly6_zps56a6729f.jpg

• Like 1

Those frames have come out really well. The cocktail stick is an under-appreciated modelling tool! Having recently done the MPM kit, it's nice to see that there's no moulded internal framework to entice you to spend hours painting internal geodesics that nobody will ever see...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Looking good. These Matchbox kits always went together well. I remember doing the 109E, Me 262, and the He115 float plane, thats currently in the Revell range. Always low on internal details like old Airfix, they were always good in outline. Keep up the good work :goodjob:

Thanks Chaps. The wings were a bit drooped. I tried to straighten one and it snapped! No big deal , just joined it back together. All of the main assemblies are now together , and they went together very well. I will post photos later.