1/72 Airfix Fabric Wing Hurricane

My first WIP entry so lets see if I can be a bit more disciplined with this, my second model :doh: Quite a few of these fabric winged Hurricanes have had WIP threads, so hope you don't mind another one!

The spitfire was built with no accessories, but I have a few for this build...

20150219_161043_zpsluilamuv.jpg

Resin Control surfaces, armaments, 5 spoke wheels and replacement exhausts. A printed instrument panel from Yahu Models, camouflage masks from AML and canopy masks from Peewit. I will be building a three blade prop version from the Xtradecal set X72193 for the MK1 fabric wing Hurricane. The aircraft will be from 85 Sqn flown by Sgt G 'Sammy' Allard.

First decision is what control surfaces to show in a different position? Plenty of photos show the elevators in the up or down position when on the ground, so I will show that. The other control surfaces though are mostly shown centralised. As a lad, magazines (no internet!) showed just about every control surface moved, flaps down, gun panels off etc. I have seen photos with the flaps down, so I think I'll model mine down. I will show one wing with the gun panels removed and the other with them in place. Maybe the ailerons slightly offset? I don't want the model to look too overdone.

Model No.2 :-)

Edited by MrBitsyModeller
  • Like 4

This should prove interesting! :popcorn: One thing I would suggest is that as this is your second model and you are doing quite a bit of modification to it, please take your time and if you are unsure about anything feel free to ask the guys here. Other than that you should end up with a very nice little model indeed.

Martin

• Like 1

Never worry about another Hurricane! good luck with this one,watch out for the upper/lower wing construction,dry fit it to see if theres a small

size difference,I,ve built 5 but the last one was perfect so it may be restricted to early issues.

• Like 1

Not doing things in halves, very honorable. You'll have heaps of support so don't hesitate to ask the chaps if you're unsure. I've used the similar exhausts for the Spitfire Mk.I and they're a real nice touch. I glued each one mine to the end of a toothpick with a small dab of superglue. This helped to hold them during painting & weathering. don't get them mised up though.

• Like 1

This should prove interesting! :popcorn:

Martin

Lol, love the popcorn chappy! I'll take this one slow and will gratefully take advice :-)

• Like 1

Not doing things in halves, very honorable. You'll have heaps of support so don't hesitate to ask the chaps if you're unsure. I've used the similar exhausts for the Spitfire Mk.I and they're a real nice touch. I glued each one mine to the end of a toothpick with a small dab of superglue. This helped to hold them during painting & weathering. don't get them mised up though.

Kiddie in a sweet shop I was looking at all the accessories! My first modelling spell as a teenager was all out the box so this time round I want to put some more effort in :-) Do resin parts react badly to superglue like canopies?

Edit - I read that as MIST up rather than MESSED up, so my comment about the superglue may be daft!

• Like 1

Right, starting with the wings. Removed them from the sprue and did some clean up. I must say this Airfix kit has very soft plastic - a little harder than cheddar maybe :-)

The fit is maybe not as bad as some I have seen in other threads. Mostly everything lines up, but the wingtips are the worst.

2015-02-19%2022.33.30_zpsqradfv6i.jpg

2015-02-19%2022.34.07_zpsgpucun1t.jpg

The trailing edge is very over scale, but I am fitting resin flaps and ailerons, so not such a big problem for me. I'll cut out the flaps, ailerons and port gun ports next.

• Like 2

No going back now! Both ailerons removed from upper wing, flaps and aileron from port lower wing and port wing gun bay cut out. Fit of the resin gun bay is pretty good.

Fabric effect behind gun bays are filled.

20150220_012742_zpsmu1idqp1.jpg

Bed time :-)

• Like 4

A little update. Following advice about dry fitting, I have spent a bit of time over the weekend tidying up after cutting out the flaps, ailerons and gun covers.

20150222_123920_zps8kq7n9ax.jpg

20150222_123934_zpsrusjowtq.jpg

Fit of the flap inserts is pretty good, but notice the gap for the ailerons is being forced open by the resin flap inserts.

2015-02-22%2012.44.09_zpspknzsk8p.jpg

The rear of the flap insert has a block which I thought was there to aid alignment, but looks like i'll have to cut/file that off.

The resin gun bay fits nicely (to my inexperienced eyes!), but I have to decide how to clean the area up.

2015-02-22%2012.43.32_zpskosvhaml.jpg

Do I file away the resin block itself, so I can push the resin gun bay up to be flush with the wing, then fill & sand the gaps, or do I sand the wing surface to be flush with the gun bay then fill & sand?

I used Revell' Plasto' to fill the fabric effect area behind and in front of the gun bay - I didn't like it at all! Horrid smell and it goes stringy very quickly. Sanded that off then used Vallejo 'Masilla Plastica'. MUCH better to use and sand! I then brushed on some Mr.Surfacer 500 and sanded back - much better finish than the Revell Plasto. I guess though there will be modellers that get on fine with it as we all have our own preferences with products!

20150222_130725_zpsthvbrjfo.jpg

Thats it for now. I must admit to feeling a little nervous at all this stuff new to me. Hoping at some point I don't get overwhelmed and my skill runs out!

Off to work :-(

• Like 6

MBM!!!!

Bring it on!

I'm loving the build.

Wow.....I'm so lazy I don't do anything like what you're having a crack at.....

But that's me so get the resin, get the decals, get every damn thing you can and have a cracking good time of it......and.....

of course....

post all the photos here so we can join in!

Cheers and good luck......

Oh!...and Steve will tell you too.....

You never... ever.... have to apologise for putting up a Hurri! LOL :thumbsup::analintruder::coolio:

More good work! As regards tidying up the gun bay, my approach would be to glue some plastic strip to the upper edges so that the strip stands just proud of the wing surface and carefully sand the strip back until it is flush.

Your work is still very neat and this will pay great dividends as the build progresses.

Martin

I have to admire you guys that do a bit of surgical modelling. I usually end up leaving ragged edges when cutting out, for example, Spitfire cockpit doors, so detaching areas of wings and things looks impressive to me. I'm enjoying your progress - good luck :popcorn:

MBM, is that 'man buggering up a model'? :-)

I can say 100%, if I hadn't discovered the work in progress

Thread on Britmodeller, I would not be attempting this so

Thanks for all the encouragement!

More good work! As regards tidying up the gun bay, my approach would be to glue some plastic strip to the upper edges so that the strip stands just proud of the wing surface and carefully sand the strip back until it is flush.

Your work is still very neat and this will pay great dividends as the build progresses.

Martin

Ah, not thought of this method! I had better order some in - can you recommend sizes of card for a starter set for 1/72?

MBM!!!!

Cheers and good luck......

Oh!...and Steve will tell you too.....

You never... ever.... have to apologise for putting up a Hurri! LOL :thumbsup::analintruder::coolio:

I LOVE the hurricane. Once this 1/72 is done I think I'll build a 1/48.

interesting, neat start.

I have seen photos with the flaps down, so I think I'll model mine down.

But flaps, they were up on the ground. Same with Spitfire, you got fined a round of drinks at the mess for the mistake of forgetting to raise them.

Put it on a diorama base with an erk looking at them, they could be dropped for inspection, that gives it a reason and some sense. You could have another looking in the gun bay.

I have seen maybe two photos of Hurricanes on the ground with dropped flaps without some visible reason, eg damage or maintenance. And one of those was pre war, the other a Hawker factory shot, and I'm a Hurricane anorak with a good visual memory.

Have you gone though the Hurricane thread? note this on interior colours

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page-3#entry1682406

HTH

T

• Like 1

I'd get a guide coat of primer on the wings behind the gun bays asap - it's deceptive; when I did mine I thought they looked fine, but they looked terrible under coat of paint.

Might be a good idea to drastically thin the trailing edges and flap bays too.

Good luck!

interesting, neat start.

But flaps, they were up on the ground. Same with Spitfire, you got fined a round of drinks at the mess for the mistake of forgetting to raise them.

Put it on a diorama base with an erk looking at them, they could be dropped for inspection, that gives it a reason and some sense. You could have another looking in the gun bay.

I have seen maybe two photos of Hurricanes on the ground with dropped flaps without some visible reason, eg damage or maintenance. And one of those was pre war, the other a Hawker factory shot, and I'm a Hurricane anorak with a good visual memory.

Have you gone though the Hurricane thread? note this on interior colours

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page-3#entry1682406

HTH

T

I would like to have my Hurricane on a base with belts of ammunition running back over the wing and trailing down behind the flaps. I would like somebody kneeling over the gun bay. The photos I have in mind didn't have any crew around them with the flaps down but I do take your point though :-)

I'd get a guide coat of primer on the wings behind the gun bays asap - it's deceptive; when I did mine I thought they looked fine, but they looked terrible under coat of paint.

Might be a good idea to drastically thin the trailing edges and flap bays too.

Good luck!

Yes, I'll do that. I did the seam line over the engine on my spitfire. Squinted at it towards a bright light, felt it and thought it was good. Soon as the paint went on the seam appeared!

I thought I may get away without thinning the trailing edge by cutiing out the flaps, but just the top wing trailing edge by itself is too thick!

Ah, not thought of this method! I had better order some in - can you recommend sizes of card for a starter set for 1/72?

I would go for a pack each of the following: 0.20 x 0.20 , 0.30 x 0.30 and 0.40 x 0.40 'thou strip for starters. If, as it most assuredly will, the detailing bug bites you I would get in a pack each of all the smaller sizes of strip as you will end up needing all of them sooner or later.

Martin

I would go for a pack each of the following: 0.20 x 0.20 , 0.30 x 0.30 and 0.40 x 0.40 'thou strip for starters. If, as it most assuredly will, the detailing bug bites you I would get in a pack each of all the smaller sizes of strip as you will end up needing all of them sooner or later.

Martin

Thanks Martin. Get that order in tonight. I'll get some brass tubing as well as nearly every WIP thread has some :-)