P-40M, Academy Minicraft 1/72, 44th FS - FINISHED (+new photos 3/18/2015)

Looking good!

21 hours of modelling, oh I dream...

Exile is not to bad, (who am I kidding), lots of colourful birds, reptiles and animals, just the local population... Another G & T?

• Like 1

Thanks guys to all of you for nice comments realy, it helps me to keep up the focus :)

V-P i think you are too kind to me and too rough to yourself :) trust me, what i am doing is not rocket science or anything too hard :) As i always say, if i can do it, anyone can :) I just like to browse around and see how those realy good modellers are doing their stuff (Jamie Haggo, Olivier Soulleys for example, but trust me, here are many and many GREAT modellers here on BM, i m still learning from anyone around :) ) and then try it myself on my kits. Ye, sometimes it is disaster.. sometimes im lucky enough and it goes ok :D Right now i m in the phase, where i can never tell what my next finish ll be, disaster or okish.. :D

I´m not rough to myself, just to the kits :coolio: ! But I am having fun doing it, and the Britmodeller is a very forgiving community that lets people do things on their own levels. So glad to be here, thanks! V-P

Edited by vppelt68
  • Like 3

Hi Wolwe. Well it sounds and looks like you had a really busy day! That's some seriously good progress there. The flap areas with the PE, now painted, really look the part. And I'm always amazed by the chipping effects you achieve - when I'm feeling brave I must have a go at some - I think I'll try some Maskol at some point. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Your weathering is really good, I aspire to such a level. No, I aspire to produce the look you are getting. Many guys produce a very high standard but it's not the same appearance I aim for, not what satisfies my own impression of 'realism' (which is of course subjective). But to me your model looks realistic and superbly done. G&Ts all round!

ThJWt3K.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Stix, big thanks :)

To the chipping - i think mascol is not the best idea for chipping, maybe at larger scales (1/48 but better 1/32 i guess) or for some realy heavy chips, but overall i think better results are done by the hairspray method (or by using original chipping fluid from ammo/mig/AK), because there you realy peel the paint off manualy so it is all about following photos and try to achieve something similar on the kit. While the mascol/salt technique for chipping might be a bit easier to do, it never gives you such a control like the hairspray chipping does :)

I m using salt or mascol (from now on it ll be mascol, i just have to find out how to remove it! ;) )for colour weathering, because if you look at old photos, you can see patches on the paint, which are darker or brighter and mainly (and that i want to achieve one day, but need to find some way, other than manualy painting it with varnish...), the patches have diferent shine from the original or weathered paint. For these patches, the mascol applied by half dry sponge is great i think :)

(6:14 for example :) )
  • Like 1

Looking lovely.

I think those darker edges to the white stripes on the NZ P-40 may well be due to where the masking was applied. When removed, it left the fresher OD and probably overspray on the other side of the masking. Its been known to be the case on other aircraft elsewherein the conflict.

• Like 1

Thanks Peter, i m happy for anyone who likes my weathering style :) I m still not satisfied with it yet, i m trying to learn from Jamie Haggo mainly (http://haggismodels.blogspot.cz/ link to his blog, realy great weathering and soooo lifelike..), but it ll take years and years to get on half way to his skill.. :D

And thanks Paul, i did read such a theory too (about the masking tape), i might try and do it with the darker OD :)

aaaand i see, this G&T i like ;)

Edited by Wolwe82

Another masterpiece Wolwe! Your finishes are my favorite, and inspired much of the experimentation in my builds. The mascol technique for paint variation is going on the list!

Don't worry V-P, I've been studying Wolwe's builds with utmost care ever since I joined BM, and he is very generous at sharing his techniques, but I've also come to the conclusion that he is magic. The same way that Stew Dapple is in painting his 1/72 pilot figures. We can follow the exact same steps, and the results are not the same, but it sure is fun!

• Like 1

Lat two days i did not have much time, so i was mainly thinking about how do i make the masks for the roundels. Well, i cant cut such a small circles good enough :( And i do not want to use the PrintScale decals, as they are using the red central dots on wings too (+ there are not roundels for underside of wings...) So i m going to change the subject, i m sorry guys :(

So, i need to find some nice OD/light grey camouflaged P-40M/N-1. So far i m thinking about 3 options :

RAAF SV-M "Little Audrey" A29-347 (but there is discussion if it was OD on top or brown/green)

VVS (russian) P-40M

USAF, one of the "Burma Banshees" with skull on cowling

Or something else.. if anyone has some nice camouflage on mind, let me know :)

Lat two days i did not have much time, so i was mainly thinking about how do i make the masks for the roundels. Well, i cant cut such a small circles good enough :( And i do not want to use the PrintScale decals, as they are using the red central dots on wings too (+ there are not roundels for underside of wings...) So i m going to change the subject, i m sorry guys :(

So, i need to find some nice OD/light grey camouflaged P-40M/N-1. So far i m thinking about 3 options :

RAAF SV-M "Little Audrey" A29-347 (but there is discussion if it was OD on top or brown/green)

VVS (russian) P-40M

USAF, one of the "Burma Banshees" with skull on cowling

Or something else.. if anyone has some nice camouflage on mind, let me know :)

All may not be lost in doing an RNZAF P 40M, especially NZ3072 Wairarapa Wildcat

Ventura Decals do a set of Pacific Roundels with a Pacific Roundel for the fuselage the wing roundel just cut off the white bars.

All you would need to do with the fuselage roundel, is paint out the blue inner circle in white and the 1inch red centre dot equals to 0.35mm in 1/72 scale (basically a tooth pick pointed end). The set you want is V7207

http://www.venturapublications.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=254

Of Note, It doesn't have the black "19" or wildcat though or the serial for NZ3072 which you could do with 1/72 black letters/numbers?

Hope that gives you more latitude to build per your original plan?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks Alan, i did check local hobby shops for RNZAF decals or some 1/72 roundel masks, but no luck.. :( and ordering from another country would cost a lot (postage...:( ). Well, this is for sure not my last P-40M, so i decided to put the Wairarapa Wildcat aside and build some P-40M from 44th FS USAAF, operating from New Georgia at 1943. There were some planes with white tail and similar white stripes like the RNZAF planes used to have and i can use US decals for it :)

ye well, i m not saying it is impossible..:) but i need the small circles being useable later again for masking the colour once again.. this wont make it like that. Or make the inbetweencircle. Also i do not have such a tool anyway :(

Wolwe, I have been mulling for several weeks exactly the same problem. I am going to try to make decals, starting with a sheet that is just one big rectangle of white decal ink, then find a tiny disc that will mask the white part of the fuselage roundel, then paint some blue around that. In fact, I need to do those measurements this weekend and start looking for the washer, button, or other object that can serve as a mask.

Yes, indeed, it is a big pain to make these roundels, so no one could blame you if you change your plan.

Mr. Lloyd, I think you have made a sale of some punches. I've needed some very sharp ones for a long time and may use them as Plan B.

• Like 2

Thanks for support guys. I had few ideas in mind, how could i "cheat" the masking (use some wheel masks or so.. though i did not have the right sizes :( ), but nothing has worked. So atm the plane got sprayed the white tail and stripes on wings and fuselage and it ll be P-40M from 44th FS. At this moment the paint is drying, i ll aply the US markings from decals tonight and prepare the plane for oils weathering :)