Hurricane Mk1 metal wing in 1/72

Meatbox8

I was hoping that Airfix may do a re-release of their excellent Hurricane I fabric wing with a new sprue for a metal winged version circa Battle of Britain. As this has not come to pass and as they seem to have withdrawn their older Hurricane I kit I wondered what fellow BMers thought would be the best way to build a Battle of Britain era Hurricane. All other manufacturers seem to produce only MkII onwards as far as I can tell.

As it's the 75th anniversary this year this seems as good a time as any to add one to the fleet.

Cheers, Tim

I`m having a go at grafting the outer wings from the older Airfix metal winged Hurricane Mk.I kit onto the new fabric winged kit,........but I agree that it would be great to have a new kit and I`m quite disappointed that one was not announced this year.

Cheers

Tony

Tim,if you can,t get the Hasegawa boxings have a crack at the airfix 1979/80 tooling,still makes a nice kit raised lines yes but quite refined,they

can be picked up for about £5-£7 from pre-owned dealers.I,ve done a few here,s one.

SDC10557_zpsab56f5ce.jpg

• Like 2

I`m having a go at grafting the outer wings from the older Airfix metal winged Hurricane Mk.I kit onto the new fabric winged kit,........but I agree that it would be great to have a new kit and I`m quite disappointed that one was not announced this year.

Cheers

Tony

I was thinking of doing something along those lines. How is it going?

I hadn't realised Hasegawa had ever done a mk1. Is it any good?

Tim,if you can,t get the Hasegawa boxings have a crack at the airfix 1979/80 tooling,still makes a nice kit raised lines yes but quite refined,they

can be picked up for about £5-£7 from pre-owned dealers.I,ve done a few here,s one.

SDC10557_zpsab56f5ce.jpg

Wasn't sure whether this kit still held up. I built it years ago as Stanford-Tucks DT-A, part of the old Airfix's Aces range. I can't remember much about the kit to be honest. I'm not a rivet counter but I do think a model has to look right, which Airfix's latest Hurricane IIC certainly doesn't. I recently picked one up boxed with their Swordfish, which is excellent I might add, but the Hurricane (actually with extra parts to build a Sea Hurricane) leaves much to be desired in terms of shape and 'orrible panel lines. I'm using it for airbrush practice.

I might look out for an old Mk1 by them though if you reckon it's any good. Cheers.

I thought we were already having this conversation! Yes, link here.

bob

Oh. Did a search before posting and nothing showed up!! Thanks.

having built the new ragwing and the old metal wing, have to say the old tool is not a bad little kit, raised panel lines but if your a rescriber or tolerant of that its not a big deal, have heard the nose is supposdly too pointy but didn't noticed that myself, will check once my out of the fairy power spray bath, one issue though is they forgot the pitot

whats wrong with the airfix iic Meatbox in your opinion, shapewise?

having built the new ragwing and the old metal wing, have to say the old tool is not a bad little kit, raised panel lines but if your a rescriber or tolerant of that its not a big deal, have heard the nose is supposdly too pointy but didn't noticed that myself, will check once my out of the fairy power spray bath, one issue though is they forgot the pitot

With the Airfix IIC there looks, to me at least, to be a couple of fairly stark errors. One being the chord of the tailplanes which is much to narrow, the other being the size of the propellor which looks under-scale. Neither of these are insurmountable issues of course but there is something else that I can't quite define as to overall shape. It just doesn't look right somehow. I think the wingtips are too pointed and the wings themselves taper too much. The upper rear fuselage from the radio mast to the fin appears to slant down in too straight a line. I think there should be a subtle curveture towards the rear. It gives the affect of making the rear fuselage look too 'chunky'. It has a rather clunky look to it expecially when I compare it to the Revell kit which I personally like. Combined with the very heavy panel lines as per a few of the re-born Airfix's earlier efforts it has a toy-like appearance.

Having said all that this is a thoroughly subjective view by someone who doesn't claim to be an expert on the type. I don't have any definitive plans to compare it to (if, indeed, any actually exist) so this all comes down to a general impression. I actually only bought it because I wanted the Swordfish kit and the Operation Torch boxing with both kits was cheaper than the Swordfish alone. Go figure.

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Like 1

P.S. In its defence you do get the choice of IIB of IIC wings plus tailhook in this edition. In theory the IIB wings could be altered to represent a Mk1 but I think the wings from the Revell kit might be a better option.

just realised I have the corgi version which was based on the same CAD files as the airfix and Ill be dammed all the points you mentioned come up in comparision to the revell one.....never noticed untill now

Oh no. I hope I haven't spoiled it for you!

... I do think a model has to look right, which Airfix's latest Hurricane IIC certainly doesn't. I recently picked one up boxed with their Swordfish, which is excellent I might add, but the Hurricane (actually with extra parts to build a Sea Hurricane) leaves much to be desired in terms of shape and 'orrible panel lines. I'm using it for airbrush practice.

Airgun practice is an alternative, though possibly a waste of good pellets.

Airgun practice is an alternative, though possibly a waste of good pellets.

Ha ha. Or stuff it full of cotton wool, set it on fire and chuck out of bedroom window - like the old days.

It's quite amusing this. When the "new" Airfix Mk I came out many moons ago and was generally praised everyone wanted fabric wings and a couple of aftermarket people provided them, Magna was one IIRC. Now the new Airfix Mk I has fabric wings everyone wants metal ones!

A Jo-Han approach is needed!

It's quite amusing this. When the "new" Airfix Mk I came out many moons ago and was generally praised everyone wanted fabric wings and a couple of aftermarket people provided them, Magna was one IIRC. Now the new Airfix Mk I has fabric wings everyone wants metal ones!

A Jo-Han approach is needed!

Yes, I remember thinking that myself. Perhaps they will re-pop it in the future with an extra sprue, like they did the the IIC/Sea Hurricane.

The Airfix Mk.IIc (and all previous Airfix Hurricanes, and a lot of others) does not have enough room in the nose for the forward pairs of cylinders - the Merlin as a V-12 requires a fair bit of width at the top immediately aft of the spinner. This is obvious on the Spitfire, less so on the Hurricane but it can be seen if you look and just HAS to be there. The first kit to get this right was the Hasegawa, then the most recent Revell (or very nearly, but a lot better), and all subsequent kits except that Airfix Mk.IIc! The new Airfix Mk.I is far superior in this respect.

The Airfix Mk.IIc (and all previous Airfix Hurricanes, and a lot of others) does not have enough room in the nose for the forward pairs of cylinders - the Merlin as a V-12 requires a fair bit of width at the top immediately aft of the spinner. This is obvious on the Spitfire, less so on the Hurricane but it can be seen if you look and just HAS to be there. The first kit to get this right was the Hasegawa, then the most recent Revell (or very nearly, but a lot better), and all subsequent kits except that Airfix Mk.IIc! The new Airfix Mk.I is far superior in this respect.

Yes, I think the nose on the Airfix IIC looks a little pinched and this is somehow exaggerated by the underscale spinner and prop. Not quite as bad as the old Defiant kit though. Got the new one the other day - what a beauty.

The Airfix IIC is based on the Corgi die cast, an is riddled with errors, in detail and shape. the shape is most likely due to this

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/page-2

Btw and also FWIW the rear cover of that book has a GA drawing of the Hurricane IIC that appears to be to 1/72 scale (although not annotated as such) and matches the new and much-maligned Airfix kit almost perfectly. The only differences are seriously undersized propeller blades in the kit and a fin leading edge which is not sufficiently curved. The same drawing reproduced inside the book identifies it to be "an authentic (i.e. not redrawn) 3-view GA of the Hurricane Mk2C taken from Hawker Aircraft Ltd Technical Publication Department archives".

Nick

Btw and also FWIW the rear cover of that book has a GA drawing of the Hurricane IIC that appears to be to 1/72 scale (although not annotated as such) and matches the new and much-maligned Airfix kit almost perfectly. The only differences are seriously undersized propeller blades in the kit and a fin leading edge which is not sufficiently curved. The same drawing reproduced inside the book identifies it to be "an authentic (i.e. not redrawn) 3-view GA of he Hurricane Mk2C taken from Hawker Aircraft Ltd Technical Publication Department archives".

Ah, yes. Hawker's GA drawings.

from Scale Models magazine, where these drawings were originally published.

HurricaneBentleynotescrop_zpsc6a2675f.jp

from this thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234954758-hawker-hurricane-scale-plans/

I don't 'do' 1/72nd, but the Revell IIB/IIC kit IIRC has errors in wing chord, the rear cockpit bulkhead is too far back and some spurious fabric detail.
2-vorverlegt.jpg
Note the 'triangle' just above the builders thumb.
here's an uncovered Hurricane to show the underlying structure. The lines on the model should follow the wooden stringer lines.
Note the 'doghouse' is plywood, and then covered in fabric, so NO panel line.
37HurricaneFuselageFrame.jpg
with fabric but no canopy.
70.JPG
Most models over do the fabric effect, on the ground it's taut, giving flat faced faceted appearance, this gives an excellent idea of what I'm trying to describe.
note just in front of the sky band where the upper stringers converge, and then half of them terminate there, another often missed detail.
The new Airfix fabric wing hurricane has excellent fabric effect.
10632585_10152734767057412_9612116919396
HTH
T
  • Like 2

Here's a rather astonishing build of the Hasegawa 1/72 Hurricane, by Japanese modeler Jumpei Temma. Note in particular the extremely effective--if very labor-intensive--work to the fuselage fabric detail, being completely re-worked with wire and surfacing compound.

It's a Mk IIC, not a Mk I, but illustrates the potential of the kit very well.

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/hurricane/hurrigall.html

These two beautiful builds by Len Thomson of the Hasegawa Hurricane were recently posted in that "other" metal-wing Mk I thread, but are worthy of another look. They effectively deal with both the nose-length issues, and fabric detail in the kit. The latter was simply lightly filled and sanded down which is a huge improvement.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/thread/1275860507/1-72+Hurricanes