80s NATO Europe vs Warsaw Pact GB Chat

could well end up being over ambitions with this one but my heart (if not my brain and wallets) going for a Trumpy Su24, no clue what I'd do as a NATO subject, probably will come down to what I have in the mini-stash or whatever I see cheap on ebay

1/48 or 1/72, i'm going with the new 1/72 kiy

Having disposed of a lot of my non-FAA stash, I'm a bit short of suitable kits, although I've got a 1/48 Airfix Jaguar and an Academy MiG-21MF that would fit the bill, although I'll have to find suitable decals for the MiG as my kit doesn't have any.

This GB is very interesting. I'd be willing to participate with a jet but I have to check my stash if I have a suitable one. A German F-4F (Revell 1/72) comes to mind but I have to check the decals.

I also have Italeri's 1/72 Mig 29A, as it appeared in Farnborough air show in 1988. Would this one be eligible for the GB?

Cheers

Jaime

Ok chaps! :D

Well we haven't gotten down the the nitty gritty bits (so it is subject to slight changes) yet but the build basically will be open to military equipment from 1980 to 1989 that was based/to be used in a European conflict.

NATO vs Warsaw Pact, so if you're choice isn't in that lot then it's not eligible. Soviet and US Pacific fleet stuff really shouldn't be included either.

They must have been operational, so sorry I don't think you could really include any prototypes or Whiffs.

But as far as choices go, there's such a huge range of equipment to choose from I think no matter what type of modelling you're into (Ships, AFV's, Figurines, Aircraft) you're bound it find something cool for the GB.

who will confirm a build? Czech BTR-60 PU (Trumpy kit) is the one I am thinking of..... wont buy it unless i get confirmation its eligible (I think it would be but)

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 1

who will confirm a build? Czech BTR-60 PU (Trumpy kit) is the one I am thinking of..... wont buy it unless i get confirmation its eligible (I think it would be but)

I'm guessing that'll be a BTR-60Pu-12 if it's in Czech Army service? I'm happy to see one of these in the GB :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I know I said that I'd do a Jag, Hunter or something but there is part of me saying that I should 'defect' as it were and build something proletarian instead.

Comrade Trevor

Come to the dark side Luke Trevor.......you know you want to!! :wicked:

• Like 1

I fancy doing one of Eduard's MiG 21's but I have no idea which one as I'm not particularly well up on the subject. Would anyone be able to suggest which of the boxing's contains the correct marque and decals for an eligible build?

Cheers,

Paul

I fancy doing one of Eduard's MiG 21's but I have no idea which one as I'm not particularly well up on the subject. Would anyone be able to suggest which of the boxing's contains the correct marque and decals for an eligible build?

Cheers,

Paul

hi Paul,

this is all I can find as a general guide as to what model MiG-21's were present during this time frame and the countries they were is service with. Hope this helps?

To late '80s, some combat units:

10.orap. MiG-21R 1968-1988

18.gviap. MiG-21SM 1982-1989

27.gviap. MiG-21bis 1975-1992

66.oapib. MiG-21SMT 1975-1989

104.iap. Monito(Mongolia) MiG-21bis 1974-1989

115.gviap. MiG-21bis 1980-1989

159.gv.iap. Kluczewo(Poland) MiG-21SMT -1987

515.iap. Tököl(Hungary) MiG-21bis 1981-1988

582.iap. Chojna(Poland) MiG-21SMT 1972-1989

899.apib. Lielvevarde MiG-21SMT 1982-1989

927.iap. MiG-21bis 1983-1987

And at training units, live-firing centers, Mary('Russian Top-Gun') MiG-21bis 1974-1987 etc..

Eduard's MiG-21 is a beautiful model, I should get myself another.

he's the beasty I did for the MiG-21 STGB

DSCF1201_zps31e9b655.jpg

• Like 2

Okay given that France left NATO in 1966 and didn't rejoin till 2009 does that mean that any French aircraft/tank/ship has to be depicted before 1966 or after 2009 even though France had an understanding that although they were not 'in NATO' they would be there in a time of crisis?

The hosts ruling would be most welcome so I can plan my build.

hi Paul,

this is all I can find as a general guide as to what model MiG-21's were present during this time frame and the countries they were is service with. Hope this helps?

/SNIP very helpful info

Eduard's MiG-21 is a beautiful model, I should get myself another.

/SNIP beautiful model

Thanks Rich me ol' China. I'll contact my LMS who carry (or can special order) the whole Eduard range at very reasonable prices.

Also your 21 was my inspiration in this. I quite fancy the 21R to be honest. Hopefully the box already gas suitable decals.

Hello,

I have been completely mystified by the "Red storm rising GB" in the calendar until realising that it was previously known NATO/Warsaw Pact 1980's. Now I realise!

I had hoped to do the RV models MiG 21 Michen drone for this but I don't see it in the list of MiG-21s above. Would it be OK?

Alan

Okay given that France left NATO in 1966 and didn't rejoin till 2009 does that mean that any French aircraft/tank/ship has to be depicted before 1966 or after 2009 even though France had an understanding that although they were not 'in NATO' they would be there in a time of crisis?

The hosts ruling would be most welcome so I can plan my build.

I'm happy to see French machines from the 80s within this GB and have a recollection that France was mentioned earlier on in the thread to this end. Paul, Rich, what say thee?

Hello,

I have been completely mystified by the "Red storm rising GB" in the calendar until realising that it was previously known NATO/Warsaw Pact 1980's. Now I realise!

I had hoped to do the RV models MiG 21 Michen drone for this but I don't see it in the list of MiG-21s above. Would it be OK?

Alan

So long as the Michen drone was operational with a WarPac during the 80s then it's in.

Actually France never left the Alliance and always remained part of NATO. They only withdrew from the integrated military command and demanded that any non French unit left the Country. This meant that France always obliged to the mutual defence duties although the official view was that this would have been done in whatever way the French government considered appropriate. In reality there were always secret agreements on the role of French forces within the integrated command and had the Cold War turned "hot" France would have reacted immediately together with the other members

• Like 3