80s NATO Europe vs Warsaw Pact GB Chat

Will a USAF EF-111A Spark Vark based in upper Heyford in 1983 in US markings qualify for this GB?

would be my excuse to build a HB kit in 1/48 scale, if it does, you got number 51

Well,I'll be doing a 1/72 version, so basically -absolutely!

• 3 weeks later...

anyone want to be my technical adviser?? the SAM-6 Tank - know it would‘ve been the 70‘s but were they still in service in the 80s? if not, what could I look at for WARSAW PACT vehicles (that are available in 1:35 scale)?

Writhing the advent of Takom's Chieftains and the plethora of Soviet armour this should get very interesting, very quickly.

what Soviet armour would be appropriate? want to try something diffeferent - thought of the S-6 SAM KUB? or may be a troop carrier

Congratulations on your GB status!

I'd love to join in, but I have nothing appropriate in the stash :(

I've always fancied a European Starfighter in 1/48, but rather than rush out in my normal half-ars baked manner and grab the first one that catches my eye - any suggestions?

Craig

Edited by specky

thinking mine will be a Trumpeter BTR 60 (may be a 70)... I assume I cant sneak in a GAZ-66 with AA gun mounted from the Soviet-Afghan war (80s and Warsaw Pact but not "quite" European theatre)

I'll be keeping an eye on this and may join in later pending dates. I've got a few kits I could get in on this with (French Jag, USAFE AV F-16, NATO F-104G). I probably won't get serious with it until I get my Aussie Mirage built for another GB.

US Navy Mediterranean / North Atlantic Fleet eligible? I've got a couple USN aircraft w/ Atlantic CVW markings that could also work if allowed.

Edited by helios16v

Congratulations on your GB status!

I'd love to join in, but I have nothing appropriate in the stash :(

I've always fancied a European Starfighter in 1/48, but rather than rush out in my normal half-ars baked manner and grab the first one that catches my eye - any suggestions?

Craig

I can recommend the Eduard 'NATO Starfighter' boxing of the Hasegawa kit - not the most super-accurate kit ever produced from what I understand but passes the 'looks like' test and has plenty goodies as well as decal options. Think MJW Models still have some in at an attractive prices as well.

But not as much goodies that are in the Daco F-104 improvement set! There are a mind numbing array including razor sharp wings that are actually correct! This boxing is for the Hasegawa F-104.

I had forgotten I had this set until I was looking for some clear blue sprue for the F-5.

Now the tuff choice a Luftwaffe F-104 or Soviet Su-7 or 17?????

• Like 1

I am self thinking to do a sea Harrier FRS1. Possible in 1/72. Matchbox?!

But not as much goodies that are in the Daco F-104 improvement set! There are a mind numbing array including razor sharp wings that are actually correct! This boxing is for the Hasegawa F-104.

I had forgotten I had this set until I was looking for some clear blue sprue for the F-5.

Now the tuff choice a Luftwaffe F-104 or Soviet Su-7 or 17?????

I would love to see both. And as Enzo says do both you know you want to. :winkgrin::coolio::rofl:

I have just seen that Hobby Boss is planning a Su-17 in 1/48 next year. Hopefully in time for this GB. Might bee interested in one ( or two).

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

I would love to see both. And as Enzo says do both you know you want to. :winkgrin::coolio::rofl:

I have just seen that Hobby Boss is planning a Su-17 in 1/48 next year. Hopefully in time for this GB. Might bee interested in one ( or two).

I would love to do two, but I'm easily distracted plus I'll be throwing a lot of aftermarket stuff at what i'll be building so that's bound to eat up a lot of time!

Plus I had completely forgotten I had offered to co-host this event! As we have three Co-host and no real host I'll take charge!!! :whip::D Democracy in action, don't you love it!!! :P

So we now have to sort of decide a date for this....and as quick as we can else we'll be left with the leftovers! Do we have any date special in mind, or a preference to beginning or end of next year? If HB are releasing a Su-17 I hope it's a good one, the Kopro maybe getting on in years but it still produces a lovely model!

DSCF0915_zpsc678de39.jpg

A beasty I made earlier........and would have been suitable for this GB, it's a Su-17M3 I'll be going for the Su-17M4.

• Like 1

After February 1st for selfish reasons. I've got an Aussie Mirage that I need to try to have done by the end of January for another GB...and it just showed up in the mail today (plus the SR-71 due at the end of this month).

My GB schedule opens up after that.

Edited by helios16v

...I had completely forgotten I had offered to co-host this event! As we have three Co-host and no real host I'll take charge!!! :whip::D Democracy in action, don't you love it!!! :P

Aye me too! :blink: By the way Rich, you spelt dictatorship wrong :fuhrer::lol:

From my point of view, to misquote U2, later would be better. I'm in for the Best of British GB at the start of the year and that's promising to be rather busy!

Nice Su-17 by the way Rich; certainly 'fitting' for this GB ;)

For me it doesn't matter when it will be taken place. It will be always not convenient to me, because of all the GB's I am in. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I need to put a lit on it for 2017. O wait I have already commited myself to a few. :poo:

Cheers,

Arr good to see you are still here Col :D and yes I could see you'll be a busy boy.

I was tempted to call myself "Dear Leader" but that one has already been taken....plus I don't fancy the hair style!

Oh and I did PM you and Paul.......before I realised most of the decisions had already been made.

• Like 1

While I realise I did not express interest in this GB, I ended up voting for it and will be happy to take part. Subject yet to be decided, likely a Marineflieger F-104 or, if I manage to solve the canopy problems, an Italian G.91Y. I may also build something from the other side of the Iron Curtain though, I have a few A-model Yaks looking at me from the stash

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2