80s NATO Europe vs Warsaw Pact GB Chat

If you follow the link to the first kit on ebay and scroll down to other options area then the kit you are looking for with Spangdalem markings is there for £11.50 +£2.80 P+P.

Or £6.50 with £2.80 postage but only 15mins left....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasegawa-1-72-Plastic-Model-Kit-F-4E-Phantom-II-New-in-box-/282015034741?hash=item41a967ed75:g:nsMAAOSwJSJXGD9g

And the other one mentioned by Mr Minion:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasegawa-1-72-plastic-model-kit-F-4E-Phantom-II-/272219235432?hash=item3f6187e468:g:M0QAAOSwI-BWJnK3

Edited by RMP2

Does this qualify

phantom.jpg
According to this link the F4C/D was still flying for the 52nd TFW until mid 82 so IMO just scrapes in.
I'll be doing the F4D

Aircraft yes, markings no.

The 52nd TFW example on the decal sheet has specific markings for a 1976 aircraft carrying bicentenial markings on the tail, the large "BT" tail codes are in white as well and I'm pretty sure they were in black from about 1980 onwards, the squadron is correct though as the 23rd TFS did use D's until 1982.

4 mins left... no bids... this is killing me. Has Stu seen it? Should I bid? What if hes going to bid and we end up in a war and it finishes at 1/48 Hase Phantom prices? What then? Errrr.... errrrr.....

Daaaaaaa! 3 minutes left!! :)

• Like 3

The Hobby Boss one? I bought the U version cheap at a show for this very GB but found out after getting it home that the fuselage is about an inch too short as the only differences between the two kits is the nose :/

No, mine's a single seat Revell 1:72

Edited by IanHx

Just asking for help here, I have this 1/48th Trumpeter MiG-23M 'Flogger B' in the stash, would it be eligible for this GB? I have no doubt that the type was operated in Europe by the Soviets in the 80's however the kit comes with just this one colour scheme which looks a little bit too modern to me. Absolutely no reference given anywhere in the kit! Thanks, Michael.

IMGP1460size_zps3ndq4vpt.jpg

IMGP1461size_zpsexbjzfyo.jpg

The 52nd TFW example on the decal sheet has specific markings for a 1976 aircraft carrying bicentenial markings on the tail, the large "BT" tail codes are in white as well and I'm pretty sure they were in black from about 1980 onwards, the squadron is correct though as the 23rd TFS did use D's until 1982.

I won't bother then :-)

Just asking for help here, I have this 1/48th Trumpeter MiG-23M 'Flogger B' in the stash, would it be eligible for this GB? I have no doubt that the type was operated in Europe by the Soviets in the 80's however the kit comes with just this one colour scheme which looks a little bit too modern to me. Absolutely no reference given anywhere in the kit! Thanks, Michael.

A quick search suggests that the silver/grey colours was an early rather than later scheme, 70s kind of era, and the 80s was more camouflage. Im no expert though.

23s were flown from the 787th IAP in Germany from the 70s through to the 90s though, thats for sure and something to search by.

Wings Pallette can help get an idea sometimes - http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/37/1/0

And theres this I posted in the Reference section for this group build that may be of some help for the 833rd IAP, also based in Germany during the 80s - http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/mig-23mld/imgcol/index.html

• Like 1

A quick search suggests that the silver/grey colours was an early rather than later scheme, 70s kind of era, and the 80s was more camouflage. Im no expert though.

23s were flown from the 787th IAP in Germany from the 70s through to the 90s though, thats for sure and something to search by.

Wings Pallette can help get an idea sometimes - http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/37/1/0

And theres this I posted in the Reference section for this group build that may be of some help for the 833rd IAP, also based in Germany during the 80s - http://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/mig-23mld/imgcol/index.html

Thanks RMP2, I had looked at the very useful 16va references that you posted here a while back while I was trying to find the correct colours for my MiG-27. The Wings Palette yielded immediate results showing this MiG as operated by the 787th IAP out of Eberswalde-Finow AB, Brandenburg, East Germany. No date though! Bit more looking around and find that this unit equipped with the MiG-23M in 1976 and that they were painted what appears to be light grey. So I just have to find out when they were camouflaged :)

Thanks RMP2, I had looked at the very useful 16va references that you posted here a while back while I was trying to find the correct colours for my MiG-27. The Wings Palette yielded immediate results showing this MiG as operated by the 787th IAP out of Eberswalde-Finow AB, Brandenburg, East Germany. No date though! Bit more looking around and find that this unit equipped with the MiG-23M in 1976 and that they were painted what appears to be light grey. So I just have to find out when they were camouflaged :)

No worries.

The war in Afghanistan (79-89) seemed to sway aircraft that were involved colours towards camo thats for sure, but finding a site with specific details on date changes for squadron colours seems near on impossible. Its a bit tedious this whole Russian colour scheme malarky!

I know I'm all over the place with this GB, but I usually waffle about until I find a topic that really sucks me in. Thus far, the Matador and Su-7 aren't doing it for me.

I have a few other things up my sleeve, but I need some advice and help.

I have a Monogram AH-1 that I would like to build as a bird used to patrol the Fulda Gap, but I can't find any information about the markings used for these aircraft. As far as I can tell, they were all pretty generic. Am I correct?

Also in the Monogram camp is a Su-25. I found a list of tweaks this model needs, and it all seems doable. Definitely maybe!

Finally is a Hasegawa F-4E. I would need decals though. Any suggestions on a good decal sheet for an 80s USAFE phantom? Maybe in Euro I scheme?

Please advise.

• Like 1

I've been mulling over exactly what it is I want to build for this and I've finally come up with a decision.

A couple of years ago I found this photo:

800px-FV107_Scimitar_COLD_WINTER_%2787.J

This is a FV 107 Scimitar with a snowplough fitted, in Arctic camo colours. Continued research found a discussion on ARRSE where they identify that this was taken 2nd Jan 1987 on Ex Cold Winter, most likely in Norway. They believe the vehicle comes from 1 Para Recce Platoon. Thread is viewable here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/cvr-t-scimitar-with-snow-plough.136726/

So this looks like it should qualify and be an interesting addition to my collection of CRV(T)s, and it doesn't even have bar armour!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 5

Does this qualify

phantom.jpg
According to this link the F4C/D was still flying for the 52nd TFW until mid 82 so IMO just scrapes in.
I'll be doing the F4D

The aircraft certainly does if in the correct markings for that period but as modelling minion stated below you'll need to adjust the kit decal option accordingly...

Have to admit I like the overall grey scheme on a MiG-23 but do think of it more as a 70's option, although I remember building the Airfix MiG-23 in the 80's and giving it a coat of light grey paint, perhaps the Belgian MiG-23 incident during the late 80's colours (pun intended :D ) my judgement towards the later multi-colour camouflage as being more typical of the period.

If you can find any evidence which supports the light grey scheme as existing into the early 80's I'd be happy to see this one in the GB.

Noone going for a MiG-25 or 31?

Stumbled across this little article thats good reading and gives a bit of info re bases and dates:

https://in.rbth.com/articles/2012/09/03/foxhound_vs_blackbird_how_the_migs_reclaimed_the_skies_17363

A MiG-25 would certainly make for an interesting addition to the GB :thumbsup:

I've been mulling over exactly what it is I want to build for this and I've finally come up with a decision.

A couple of years ago I found this photo:

800px-FV107_Scimitar_COLD_WINTER_%2787.J

This is a FV 107 Scimitar with a snowplough fitted, in Arctic camo colours. Continued research found a discussion on ARRSE where they identify that this was taken 2nd Jan 1987 on Ex Cold Winter, most likely in Norway. They believe the vehicle comes from 1 Para Recce Platoon. Thread is viewable here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/cvr-t-scimitar-with-snow-plough.136726/

So this looks like it should qualify and be an interesting addition to my collection of CRV(T)s, and it doesn't even have bar armour!

Do it! Do it! Do it! :pray:

• Like 1

Just out of curosity, where do we stand on heavy lift helicopters? I'm planning either a Chinook or a CH-53 in 1/144 *if* I get the Alpha Jet done. I've also got a Bear laying around too.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Just out of curosity, where do we stand on heavy lift helicopters? I'm planning either a Chinook or a CH-53 in 1/144 *if* I get the Alpha Jet done. I've also got a Bear laying around too.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Heavy lift helicopters are an essential part of the support mechanism for ground forces so I've no problem seeing any relevant machines such as the Chinook or CH-53 in this GB.

• Like 1

Do the mods mind whilst I wait for the revell to arrive (and indeed whilst I build that one as well) I use the thread to continue with the fujimi phantom in markings outside of this GBs scope obviously not posting the finished work in the gallery?

Heavy lift helicopters are an essential part of the support mechanism for ground forces so I've no problem seeing any relevant machines such as the Chinook or CH-53 in this GB.

Cheers Col, I wasn't too sure where we stood on heavy lifts (or indeed medium) because they don't usually carry weapons and there was the No Trainer rule (unless tooled up). Glad to know tho :) Actually the Chinook I have is an RAF one, but it is an anniversary one... that still cool?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Do the mods mind whilst I wait for the revell to arrive (and indeed whilst I build that one as well) I use the thread to continue with the fujimi phantom in markings outside of this GBs scope obviously not posting the finished work in the gallery?

Hallo Big Stu, I can see the logic there, but it would rather muddy the waters. You can always ask the mods to move the thread to WIP - I've had that done a couple of times.

Hope this helps, Paul

Fair enough, but seems a bit wasteful to start a new thread for the same subject thats already been posted in the original thread, meanwhile the orginal thread continutes with the new kit of the same subject that is part of the GB, just seems neater to put them into one....