80s NATO Europe vs Warsaw Pact GB Chat

Now gather 'round and let me ask you this:

How precise do I have to be timewise? :hmmm:

It's just, that I 've had this 1/48 Heller Mirage IV with all the trimmings for ages and ages and would love to build it - but the decals doesn't say precisely when the illustrated plane is from - it just says 1975 - 1987! :shrug:

08477349-8069-438e-b7c9-05a38695afd5_zps

My guess is that the plane didn't change it's looks in that timeperiod, but.... :shrug:

Is this within the paramaters?

I really hope so.... :worthy:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

PS did I mention that I really, REALLY hope it's OK!

PPS Please! :please:

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 1

Reconnaissance you say...? Aye, Im in desperate need of a MiG-21SMT with a recce pod fitted that should have been on a 21R.

Its not easy. Or - Im not making it easy for myself given all the options. I want that SMT"-R".

I'm glad that recce is OK, as my Mirage will be a III R!

Not long to go now

Cliff

You boys have picked a good pair of options doing the same thing on opposite sides :D

It is pretty adjacent. Best I move some kits from The Stash to The Ledge.

I'm looking at an F-104S, A-10, Belgian Mirage 5 and East German MiG-23.

That's going to give an interesting variety of colour-schemes and markings Enzo :coolio:

Help. I know there has been some other commentary already on Russian Mig-23Ms. I fancy building one and have the recent KP kit. The marking options are Cuban and Indian (obviously not relevant) and one Russian marking. See below.

KPM7251_1_zpswbsd22nm.jpg

Despite various searches I can't find anything about this plane to suggest whether it would qualify for this build. Any help much appreciated.

Dave

Hmm, 'Air Forces of The USSR' isn't exactly the most detailed of descriptions, perhaps the dolphin logo and unusual intake warning triangle may give a clue to its particular location for those in the know?

Welcome back.

Thanks for clarification, this kit only has EDSG/Wh schemes, which is exactly what I have in mind.

All options (and I've got a few spare numbers) looked up and served with FAA from about early 1980 onwards.

Funnily enough I saw a prog called Decisive Weapons about the Harrier last week.

Showed a clip of an 899NAS aircraft taking off.

I'm biased as the SHAR is my favourite aircraft and think it looks good in any scheme but the early two tone is rather lovely :)

Now gather 'round and let me ask you this:

How precise do I have to be timewise? :hmmm:

It's just, that I 've had this 1/48 Heller Mirage IV with all the trimmings for ages and ages and would love to build it - but the decals doesn't say precisely when the illustrated plane is from - it just says 1975 - 1987! :shrug:

08477349-8069-438e-b7c9-05a38695afd5_zps

My guess is that the plane didn't change it's looks in that timeperiod, but.... :shrug:

Is this within the paramaters?

I really hope so.... :worthy:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

PS did I mention that I really, REALLY hope it's OK!

PPS Please! :please:

Well if it looked like that from 1980 to 1987 that's well within the scope of this GB.

Col.

Have agree with you on the Marineflieger Tornado; the two-tone grey scheme was lovely. At the moment I'd like to do either that or a RAF Lossiemouth Buccaneer with a Norwegian Starfighter in third choice place. Then there's also a Harrier GR.3 in the winter distemper scheme...

Hi Col, I was thinking of doing the later 3 tone version as I've done the grey/white scheme before, so hopefully we will avoid doing the same one! :) Also tempting me is a Luftwaffe Tornado in Norm 83 with the MW-1 dispenser or a GR1 with JP233s, I wish this GB went on for about 2 years then I could just build my stash :D

• Like 1

Col.

Hi Col, I was thinking of doing the later 3 tone version as I've done the grey/white scheme before, so hopefully we will avoid doing the same one! :) Also tempting me is a Luftwaffe Tornado in Norm 83 with the MW-1 dispenser or a GR1 with JP233s, I wish this GB went on for about 2 years then I could just build my stash :D

The way things are for me at the moment I doubt you'll see anything on my workbench for a while so think you're on safe ground with what ever scheme you choose ;) Would love to build my one with a couple Kormoran missiles but time will tell how that goes. That MW-1 dispenser was a weapon though!

• Like 1

Hi people

What do you think if, for this GB, I built an Avro Shackleton AEW.2, No.8 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Lossiemouth,Scotland, June 1981 ...

Of course, I go a little out of scheme, but all in all the aircraft was operating until 1991 on Atlantic sea, but only if I buy the kit, the price is high !!!

• Like 1

I have been doing up the rules for this GB and have come across Iceland.

I think for simplicity sake it will be excluded, and Greenland for those who would just have to ask.

I have been doing up the rules for this GB and have come across Iceland.

I think for simplicity sake it will be excluded, and Greenland for those who would just have to ask.

Its a bit late and somewhat non-relative now, but if everyone did something from their homeland where possible that could be nice. I know its BRITmodeller and all but still, dunno, could be nice. Those outside of the EU arena could have full reign whilst others would be having to be more ingenuitive if thats a word.

Regardless I think Ive settled on my effort if I clear the bench in time.... Its scary and I hope I do it justice.

• Like 1

What about USAF F-15C at Keflavik? With IS tails?

The question is, was it an operational unit in Europe in the 80's?

Unfortunately sitting in the middle of the Atlantic protecting shipping and air routes really doesn't fit the bill.

The question is, was it an operational unit in Europe in the 80's?

Unfortunately sitting in the middle of the Atlantic protecting shipping and air routes really doesn't fit the bill.

The 57 FIS were regularly intercepting Bears coming down through the Iceland-Faeroes-UK gap throuout the Cold War, personally I think they would be totally eligible.

• Like 1

Personally I would think that a 57th FIS F-15 fits the bill very well as it's from a NATO member based in another NATO member (a founding member from 1949 as well) which is geographically classed as being part of Europe, I know it's not part of mainland Europe but neither is the UK.

• Like 1

The 57 FIS were regularly intercepting Bears coming down through the Iceland-Faeroes-UK gap throuout the Cold War, personally I think they would be totally eligible.

While I partly agree with this it still doesn't fit the scope of the GB, which is a conflict over Europe. Else we would have everything on and above the Atlantic as well....which is not included!

Shipping, land units, and air units must have been either based or deployed on exercise in Europe (and UK) , the initial scope for this GB was quite clear on this!

While I partly agree with this it still doesn't fit the scope of the GB, which is a conflict over Europe. Else we would have everything on and above the Atlantic as well....which is not included!

Shipping, land units, and air units must have been either based or deployed on exercise in Europe (and UK) , the initial scope for this GB was quite clear on this!

Iceland is still Europe as far as my education tells me....

And you say UK wich is also an "island" in Europe.

Either it's Europe or its Europe?

I'm not going to argue this point any more, the original scope was very clear!!

I suggest you take it up further with the other hosts PaulR or Col, if it is so necessary that you build and F-15 based in Iceland then take it up with them!!

Rich

I'm surprised by the attitude on the subject. As the hole GB is NATO Europe vs .....

The Rules put out by you early this morning excludes Iceland wich is in Europe with and with an American and NATO Base wich was very useful during the 80s for NATO and it's supporting country's.

IMHO if you exclude that you also should exclude the other American forward bases through Europe?

As mentioned in an earlier post. NATO and American planes intercepted Russian planes frequently from NAS Keflavik along the Norwegian coastline and the north sea. ...

I'm not necessarily going to build an F-15C from NAS Keflavik, but you should be going thru the rules of the GB again as Iceland was a founding member of NATO...

This thread has been quite a struggle for the mods so far, well done trickyrich and Col on your exemplary customer service!

The irony being that many of the queries will likely result in a non-starter entry or stalled build. But that's groupbuild for ya! (Main offender currently posting!)

I'll be doing a MiG-29 initial service example. Boring scheme but great looking jet.

• Like 3

Agree, thanks to the G.B. Hosts, getting this G.B. ironed out has been like herding cats so far. So, I promise not to mention 'that book' or speculate regards Iceland's location :winkgrin:

Actually, I am now thinking of doing something different for me, build something from the 'other side'. Took a look in the stash and found the following:

1/72nd Revell Tu-22B 'Blinder'

1/48th 2 x Eduard MiG-21 (not sure which models), a Trumpeter MiG-23M Flogger-B, an ancient ESCI MiG-27 Flogger-D and an Academy MiG-29A 'Fulcrum'.

Also the 1/350th Trumpeter Russian Navy Udaloy, and a 1/700th Cyber-Hobby Admiral Nakhimov (a Kirov class battlecruiser) which joined the Northern Fleet in 1989.

Still lots of time to decide ;-)

Michael

• Like 2

Right gang, the Iceland Question is currently being discussed by the mods so we'll get back to you all on this one later, for the meantime let's all concentrate on other matters :)

Can I join with a kit maybe a bolkow 105 or f4 phantom ?

An MBB 105 sounds good to me. You thinking of an F-4F there? Recall watching one putting on a spirited display over a small German village one morning in the early 90s and still wonder if the pilot was showing off to his wife or girlfriend or family.

Hi people What do you think if, for this GB, I built an Avro Shackleton AEW.2, No.8 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Lossiemouth,Scotland, June 1981 ... Of course, I go a little out of scheme, but all in all the aircraft was operating until 1991 on Atlantic sea, but only if I buy the kit, the price is high !!!

The Lossie Shacks were a busy bunch back then so yes I'd certainly be happy to see one in this GB.

This thread has been quite a struggle for the mods so far, well done trickyrich and Col on your exemplary customer service!

The irony being that many of the queries will likely result in a non-starter entry or stalled build. But that's groupbuild for ya! (Main offender currently posting!)

I'll be doing a MiG-29 initial service example. Boring scheme but great looking jet.

It's certainly been a lively discussion but at least nobody has mentioned That Damned Book for a while so I'm calm ;)

The MiG-29 certainly made a few people sit up and take notice when it visited Finland during the late 80s so that's another subject I'd be delighted to see getting some attention here.

Agree, thanks to the G.B. Hosts, getting this G.B. ironed out has been like herding cats so far. So, I promise not to mention 'that book' or speculate regards Iceland's location :winkgrin:

Actually, I am now thinking of doing something different for me, build something from the 'other side'. Took a look in the stash and found the following:

1/72nd Revell Tu-22B 'Blinder'

1/48th 2 x Eduard MiG-21 (not sure which models), a Trumpeter MiG-23M Flogger-B, an ancient ESCI MiG-27 Flogger-D and an Academy MiG-29A 'Fulcrum'.

Also the 1/350th Trumpeter Russian Navy Udaloy, and a 1/700th Cyber-Hobby Admiral Nakhimov (a Kirov class battlecruiser) which joined the Northern Fleet in 1989.

Still lots of time to decide ;-)

Michael

Argh! I spoke too soon! :lol:

A nice selection of Warsaw Pact options there Michael :thumbsup:

Why do you consider it to be a boring scheme?

mig-29a_1.jpg

Only one camouflage colour and a very simple disruptive scheme. They look much better in East German or the current blue shades.

mig-29a_1.jpg

Only one camouflage colour and a very simple disruptive scheme. They look much better in East German or the current blue shades.

While I agree the East German Fulcrum wore a nice scheme the original is still the best in my eyes :)