80s NATO Europe vs Warsaw Pact GB Chat

Including several never-weres! I particularly remember the ZSU-23-6 gatling gun mentioned.

The Frisbees stick in my mind although maybe????

Cracking book though and with recent events in the news getting a bit too relevant!

Anyhoo I shall be building a Tank Mania SA-4 Ganef 1/48 resin kit (and very lovely it looks too!) likely in Polish markings.

Well, I'll have to a proper count, but I make that 19 or so. Was just thinking about the tank side of things; chieftains, leopards, late M60s, early Abrams, T72s- Tamiya to the rescue here, at least in 1/35!

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Have rather neglected this thread due to work, that necessary unpleasantness for the purchase of more kits . . anyway, thought it time for a headcount to see where we are with this... and it's 27! Just three more to qualify for the vote. . . must be able to do this. Was trying to think of more interesting subjects to whet modelling appetites. Let's see; WR coded aggressor F-16s, Wildenrath Phantoms. RAFG Buccaneers, Chieftain tanks, Norwegian/Dutch F-5s. Anyone got any other ideas?

Paul

1) PaulR

2) Lex77

3) Andy C

4) Milktrip

5) Procopius

6) Whitestar12chris

7) Peter Marshall

8) Marlin

9) Bootneck??

10) PaulJ

11) hgbn

12) Caerbannog

13) Cookerbacher

14) Jabba

15) Vingtor

16) Buffoon

17) CliffB

18) Vipplelt68

19) Sleeperservice

20)Shermaniac

21)Tomoshenko

22) Heloman1

23) Modellingminion

24) Shaun

25) DaveJL

26) Wellzy

27) Trickyrich

Afternoon chaps,

Well, we're there with numbers! Mish, would you be able to add this to the vote? I have a mind to give the GB a more dramatic name - how about the 'Red Storm Rising' GB? Particulrly appropriate since the same scenario seems to be working up again 25 years later!

Cheers for all the support.

Paul

• Like 2

Deffinately count me in, I have a decal set for UK based F-4's and a Hase F-4D just begging to be entered in this GB!

Rich

Hallo Rich, it would be great to have you on board! However, am not sure there were any F-4Ds left in Europe by the 80s, which would be the scope of the build. There were ANG F-4Ds (I'll check which squadron) which were temporarily deployed to Ramstein for QRA when the wing there converted to the F-16C in '86 or '87, so that could be an option! Best regards, Paul!

Wondering whether a Russian Udaloy I ASW destroyer would be eligible here? The lead ship Udaloy was laid down July 1977 and entered service December 1980. Had the Cold War gone hot in the 80's I think they would have been active adversaries in the seas around the European continent. I do have the Trumpeter 1/350th 'Russian Navy Udaloy' kit in the stash, purchased it after visiting the RFS Vice Admiral Kulakov in Portsmouth on 26th August 2012. I never ever thought I would get to walk round a Russian ASW destroyer in my lifetime.

Michael

Wondering whether a Russian Udaloy I ASW destroyer would be eligible here? The lead ship Udaloy was laid down July 1977 and entered service December 1980. Had the Cold War gone hot in the 80's I think they would have been active adversaries in the seas around the European continent. I do have the Trumpeter 1/350th 'Russian Navy Udaloy' kit in the stash, purchased it after visiting the RFS Vice Admiral Kulakov in Portsmouth on 26th August 2012. I never ever thought I would get to walk round a Russian ASW destroyer in my lifetime.

Michael

Hi Michael, sounds ideal!

Paul