Dornier Skyservant, Matchbox 1:72

dr_gn

Mostly sanding the seams and attaching the engines today:

44KXRgb8.jpg

7t4fP2ir.jpg

3M7KD9y7.jpg

He still hasn't 'got' sanding the join lines yet, but we're getting there. I helped him with the alignment of everything and put some tape on the left nacelle to hold it in place.

• Like 5

Thanks for the encouragement guys it's much appreciated by the boy!

We did some Milliputting this evening. Seems tricky to get the hang of scraping accross the gaps rather than along them, but we got there in the end:

Vnpc9ryL.jpg

Wiping with a damp cloth soon got rid of the excess, so no flatting required once it's set:

4Xa2lIJU.jpg

Next job: Paint.

• Like 5

Master N you are doing very well, you are at a stage we all went through and you seem to be dealing with it very well

Well done G, a lad to be proud of

Model is beginning to get that familiar @gn look about it

Thanks very much guys - I'll let him read the comments tomorrow.

Frankly, I'm amazed that he doesn't seem to mind in the slightest about my unreasonably high expectations of how he should approach building a plastic kit...Even when I was double his age I was chucking a Matchbox kit together and painting it in a single evening. I'd never even heard of filler or primer.

I think with the next one I'll leave it to him to decide how much time he should expend on a task. It will be interesting to see how many processes I've shown him get discarded!

• Like 1

Will be even more satisfying if he develops a skill or process that you hav'nt shown him.

Sure would.

Be great if I came home tomorrow and he'd vacformed me a Tornado canopy...

• Like 2

Painted the undersides with Vallejo Model Colour:

IRiiXzt6.jpg

Smooth, but a bit streaky.

[son] decided on a second coat (I'd have passed it under the circumstances, but I'm glad he didn't):

p0XII6e0.jpg

For the second coat, gave the revell aqua colour a second chance, but it is very difficult to work with. almost perfect colour match with Vallejo strangely enough.

• Like 3

Tell him I still have the same difficulties after all these years

(well you have a good idea how many years that is) ;)

It makes getting it finished RIGHT even more satisfying

well done young N

• Like 1

Thanks guys - he's really appreciating the positive comments...

First top camo colour on tonight:

iCyV70jJ.jpg

2MktusSS.jpg

He didn't need much help with that. A few missed bits and splodges on the undersides by mistake, but it'll be OK.

• Like 4

Not only do I think this is a fantastic thread and activity, but I was unfamiliar with the Skyservant and really like the looks of it! Now I'm going to have to hunt one down for myself.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together!

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

We've settled on Vallejo Model Colour for brush painting. I just had a look at it again now; obviously it's not perfect, but I would say that with a good quality wide brush it would be possible to get a very, very good finish with this stuff. Apart from where he's plastered the paint on and forgotten to brush it out, there are very few visible brush marks. I imagine two coats, and a rattle can of Humbrol #49 acrylic matt and a bit of skill could give a near airbrush quality finish.

The kit itself is strangely attractive. The surface is almost literally a blank canvas for some simple scribing, and plenty of opportunity for scratchbuilding some simple but effetive details like exhausts, steps and antennae. I fancy a go at one myself!

• Like 2