Dornier Skyservant, Matchbox 1:72

dr_gn

This is one I picked up from Huddersfield show my son to build. Only cost £3, and IMO Matchbox kits are still hard to beat in terms of ease of build vs. realism, especially for a 7 year old. I must have built most of the Matchbox range in a previous life, but never this one. Also got him some Revell Aqua acrylics and some cheap brushes:

uvL49njj.jpg

GotYKDG7.jpg

PWHd1nI8.jpg

Started by cutting the parts off the sprues:

pjqjhTwO.jpg

and sanding the gates smooth:

Oou4VyKh.jpg

He has enjoyed building a few models in the past, but this one he wants to be more realistic, and wants to enter it in a model competition. I think he likes the look of the prizes. So do we do some filling of parts? Masking? A bit of airbrushing? I'm thinking they're all potentially fun things to do, and add more dimensions than cut, file, glue, paint, so why not?

I must admit, I'm a bit skeptical about the whole competition idea: Many junior class models have blatantly not been built entirely by a child. Last year for example, I overheard a proud grandad/dad(?) showing the offspring the trophy they'd just won, yet the little girl seemed to have difficulty identifying which model she'd actually built...

Anyway, competition or not, I'm not letting the boy loose with a scalpel, so I'll try and document how he AND I built the model here, and then decide if it's fair to enter it as "built be a 7 year old". At the end of the day it's about building something and enjoying the process.

• Like 20

dr_gn,

I think that is a great little buy and I was there and Huddersfield show had some lovely kits on sale..

I look forward to your sons efforts and looks like he has already made an Impressive start..

Keep it up..GOOD JOB. :thumbsup::speak_cool:

• Like 1

With you as mentor, guide and occasional doer of very dangerous bits the young chap is bound to bring us a nice model

And like you I think many of the Matchbox range are very worthy models anyway

I am looking forward to this

• Like 2

Love building models with my son, hes 22 now and over the years has dipped in and out of it when the mood has taken him, ive brought him odd kits home now and again and sometimes he had a go and sometimes not, i never pushed him into anything but over the last 2 or 3'years, he has become quite serious about the hobby and is producing some dam fine models, he has his own stash and splits his hobby time between gaming amd modelling, he loves going to shows now and we make ayearly pilgrimage to telford as well as airshows like Riat ( flying legends for us this year tho) . It took me a long time to feel comfy with him in the workshop using a scalpel on his own though, so sprue nippers and sanding pads are definately the order of the day till hes about 21 1/2 haha!!!

I look forward to your sons build and will follow and enjoy.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. He's built a couple previously with some help with cutting and glueing: An Academy Tomahawk and an Airfix Gladiator (cobbled together from the spares box). He had no issues in producing some decent camo, at least on the wings of the Tomahawk, the daughter's Albatross was more a case of me doing most of ithe building in the time we had. She enjoyed painting it though.

I was hoping he'd like model building, but like MJ68, I didn't push him. I'll give him some guidance on this one and if he still wants to paint stuff how he likes rather than like the plan, its fine by me.

7OvuijED.jpg

TXHJ46Vn.jpg

• Like 6

Almost the same as when my dad introduced me to this hobby with an Airfix Bronco and being fascinated by the clear parts for some reason, learning a new word 'transparency' from the instructions. Think I could have been around 7 too.

• Like 1

If he has fun building these, that's what count. If he ever tries counting rivets, bang him on the head with something heavy! And make him copy a thousand times: "Mental institutions are full of people counting rivets!!!"

He has a good sense of colour as well!

Congrats to him

JR

• Like 1

I thought we'd use glue today - so he assembled the stand (using Revell liquid cement applied with a cocktail stick), and tried the repaired decals. The name decal seemed to work fine with just the coat of Klear, so hopefully the rest will also be good. He dipped it in Klear to act as an adhesive. No issues with using tweezers to place it fairly accurately, so that was good:

5jFZKIYy.jpg

Then glued the seats and instrument panel to the floor:

pUK7IFHk.jpg

Filed and glued the engine naceles:

bocdpETR.jpg

and blu-tacked the pilots and pilots seats to a wooden stirrer...:

zmo4eY8y.jpg

...ready for priming:

uzi6dA1l.jpg

Except the instrument panel, that'll be the final colour for most of the interior, but the pilots seats and pilots will be painted separately. The only issue with the spraying was he wasn't strong enough to press the nozzle and retain enough control to move the can accurately. So we both held the can and called it a team effort.

• Like 10

Good work dr_gn's son

very good idea to use dad's strength on that button, aerosol painting is a skill as hard to pick up as airbrushing sometimes too

It takes good handling to get a good coat from a can

I do like this model, I may start looking out some more of those old Matchbox kits to add to those I already have

Well done doc, getting him doing the right stuff from the start, makes it a good start

10/10

• Like 3

Good work dr_gn's son

very good idea to use dad's strength on that button, aerosol painting is a skill as hard to pick up as airbrushing sometimes too

It takes good handling to get a good coat from a can

I do like this model, I may start looking out some more of those old Matchbox kits to add to those I already have

Well done doc, getting him doing the right stuff from the start, makes it a good start

10/10

Ta Perdu. The theory is, I'll show him how I think is the best way for him to do it (within reason) and if he likes the results then he will want to use the same techniques again. If not, fair enough.

It's actually a really nice little kit; would be a blank canvas for some simple but effective detailling. For example - there are hardly any panel lines, so scribing would be easy - no lines to fill. Antenna, foot rests, seatbelts, instrument decals, wing light, exhausts - all very easy, and would take it to another level.

So far so good.

• Like 1

Bit more progress this morning: We're doing the detail painting as outlined in the instructions, no more, no less. first off, the pilots:

kzSnZ7BY.jpg

HeiWxOkO.jpg

Seats:

UxYG1KsZ.jpg

Instrument panel

GCNFvcSw.jpg

Bit of smudging, but will be covered with the seats:

oOCCFMgL.jpg

Assembly of cockpit:

W3CzqPoa.jpg

Masking of prop tips. I showed him how to do one blade, then he did the other two:

NaxNg8xd.jpg

Strange how the other prop he did entirely by himself (apart from cutting the tape into strips), was better than the one I helped him with scratchchin.gif Anyway, close of play:

wUItMYIh.jpg

Not bad.

ETA: The Revell Aqua Colour paint was absolutely crap - like trying to paint custard. In the end we used Tamiya and Vallejo Model Colour.

• Like 5

The lad is doing well! If he takes to modelling, he will remember these moments building something with a bit of help from his Dad fondly for the rest of his life. My Father is no modeller but he helped my with a few of my first kits when I was five and these are very special memories for me.

Martin

• Like 1

The lad is doing well! If he takes to modelling, he will remember these moments building something with a bit of help from his Dad fondly for the rest of his life. My Father is no modeller but he helped my with a few of my first kits when I was five and these are very special memories for me.

Martin

Same for me, with my Dad.

If he takes to it, fine, if not, fine too!

Nice to see the youngsters getting involved in modelling, shame there are not to many, as we need them to keep our hobby going

I like the William Morris table cloth, used to see loads of that cloth when I worked at Arthur Sanderson fabric company

• Like 2

Nice to see the youngsters getting involved in modelling, shame there are not to many, as we need them to keep our hobby going

I like the William Morris table cloth, used to see loads of that cloth when I worked at Arthur Sanderson fabric company

All I know about the table cloth is that it's not cloth - it's wipe-clean plastic...we like to stay classy at our house.

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 2