Do you think Airfix will do a new tool single Seater Vampire in 1/72 OR 1/48?

Steven Corvi

Well they were not at the Yeovilton show this year which is most odd. No idea why as they have previously hosted a huge make & take for the kids, and their stand has been one of the busiest all day at previous events there.

I'd like to see their Vampire T.11 in 1/48 myself. It was a great little kit and it would suit a larger scale nicely.

But what I'd really love to see, is a twin seat hunter and Lightning in 1/48 from them. Some of their new kits are just brilliant and two seat cold war jets have been lacking for years.

Hopefully 2016 will be Airfix's "year of the Jet", as they side stepped jets (more or less) this year. But think of the Jet's either not tooled, or in need of an upgrade in both 1/72nd and 1/48th. We'll all have our favourites, the kits that will earn Airfix zillions...

....Single seater Vampire's in both scales, a single seater Vampire in 1/72th; Venom's in both scales, Hunters - imagine a 1/48th T7 to the same standard as Airfix's Javelin.... and don't get me started on Meteor's!!!!! Scimitar (both scales) and Sea Vixen (1/72)

New Buccaneer's in both scales....a new Vulcan (in 1/72 only though!), a Victor......................and those are just the British jets!

Plenty there to keep me busy for the next 3-4 decades anyway!!

I'd really love to see Airfix do a F.3 Vampire and a F.6 and GR.9 Hunters. Let's hope so!

Brad

How about a 1:72 New tool Buccaneer? Now that would be nice. I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet. 😉

I'd love to see a single seat vampire/vampire family in 1:72 surely a Gloster Meteor family would be welcomed with open arms in either 1:48 or 1:72 I know the F.1 and F.3 have been covered by Tamiya and Dragon but the other marks need more attention in kit form.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by FZ6
  • Like 1

But the Scimitar is a relatively insignificant aircraft compared to a single seat Vampire (1/72nd & 1/48th), Canberra B.2/6 (1/72nd), Hunter T.7 (1/72nd & 1/48th) and the Venom (both single and two seat in 1/72nd & 1/48th), Lightning F.1/3 (1/72nd), all of these are significatly more important and needed to be done properly by someone like Airfix before a Scimitar.

Totally agree, as much as I actually like the Scimitar it's not really a type that had much impact. The other types you mention would be much more important.

Said that, Airfix last year treated us to a kit of what is afterall another type that is quite insignificant when compared to Vampire, Hunter and Canberra: the Swift !

Based on this, it would be hard to tell what other British Cold War type will be coming from Airfx in the future

How about the 1/48 Javelion?

I dont image it was too impactual either compared to those other types?

Steve,

A scaled up Supermarine Swift would be a winner too.....Their 1/72 kit is a little gem....think about it in quarter scale.

A Piston Provost vwould be a nice option too....and a Chipmunk, and a Tiggie, and a (fill the dotted line)........................................

I'm soooooo tired of Luftwaffe subjects now. Think about any paper design or any obscure version of the zillionth FW 190 out there, and there's already a kit for you.....but we must admit that those FW kits sell like hot cakes, and give the companies a good profit. Some long awaited Brisith subjects wouldn't be much popular overseas, and wouldn't sell so well.

Tongue in cheek....who really needs a Tiger Moth in 1/48 scale...???????

Well they were not at the Yeovilton show this year which is most odd. No idea why as they have previously hosted a huge make & take for the kids, and their stand has been one of the busiest all day at previous events there.

Like you I was surprised not to see Airfix at Yeovilton.

You would hope if Airfix use CAD to design the moulds, that it would be reasonably straightforward to produce kits in both 1:48 and 1:72 scales, but apart from the TSR2 and Gnat they don't appear to have done this. We really need the Sea Vixen, Javelin and Canberra reduced to 1:72 and the Swift and Vampire T.11 scaled up to 1:48 - thereafter all kits in both scales!

I was talking to one of the Airfix guys at Cosford and he suggested that even with CAD it wasn't just a case of scaling up from 1/72nd. Looking at the parts for the Gnat the 1/72 and 1/48th kits are quite different in some parts of the design. The larger kit has the more complex engineering of the intakes. Having said that the original research and measurements would be the same for both scales, so then just a question of manipulation in the CAD programme?

definitely a single seat Vampire in 1/72 and 1/48, a Venom in both scales and single and double seat Hunter in both scales. Please Airfix, please!

Cheers,

Michael