Do you think Airfix will do a new tool single Seater Vampire in 1/72 OR 1/48?

Steven Corvi

Just curious since the 1/72 two seater T.11 is a rather nice kit at an amazing price. Love to see them do a a single seater Vampire in both 1/72 and 1/48 at the great quality & price.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

OH Ya Will Airfix do a 1/48 Supermarine Scimaitr to go along with the Sea Vixen. I loved buildling my Sea Vixen!!

Steve

DSCN2621_zps9435e172.jpg

• Like 1

How bout airfix, down size the beauty of their seavixen! We deserve a decent one, by a great British company! Not a Chinese mishmash!

Mark :)

• Like 3

I would like them to revisit the Buccaneer. A far more important piece of the FAA jigsaw in its capability, longevity and user base. Their current 48 kit is a far blanker palette than could be expected.

• Like 3

Any of these mentioned FAA aircraft to be done by Airfix would be very well received I reckon.

I recently got hold of the 1/48 scale Sea Vixen. I also bought the Cyber-hobby 1/72 Sea Vixen and Sea Venom, both of which were expensive kits however are very nicely detailed. I massively agree they need to do a new tool Bucanneer, in 48 and 72, a Buc to the modern Airfix standards would be phenomenal. That twinned with a Phantom, I reckon I'd go blind with excitement!

We can only hope so. Would have thought that even with the release of the Trumpeter monstrosity the potential demand would be there, certainly in 1/48th where there is little if any current competition for single or twin seaters. The Venom family could then follow on. In 1/72, the Cyber Hobby (?) ones seem to turn out nicely and then there are the resin CMR kits, but again an Airfix single seater for a similar price and quality of their trainer would still probably shift plenty.

Got to say though, that with no modern standard and accurate early P40, or T-33 in the market, I wonder why these remain untapped before the javelins and Sea Vixens. Not that I was not grateful to Airfix to gamble on either of those, but when cash is tight ( and their parent company is still not doing that well) I would have thought such money spinners should be in their plans.

• Like 1

I,d love to see any of the above mentioned aircraft kitted by Airfix in 1/72 scale but business wise the Buccaneer would be a real winner as Greg

mentioned the longevity of it,s service and marking options would lead to a good few folk buying in multiples.

• Like 1

Do I think Airfix will ever do a single seat Vampire ? I have absolutely no clue !

Would I like one ? Of course I would ! The T.11 is a nice kit, I'd happily add a single seater (or 2, or 5) beside it. Not that there's a lack of 1/72 single seat Vampires, and to be honest even the old Heller one is a beauty once the few panel lines are rescribed.

We can only hope so. Would have thought that even with the release of the Trumpeter monstrosity the potential demand would be there, certainly in 1/48th where there is little if any current competition for single or twin seaters. The Venom family could then follow on. In 1/72, the Cyber Hobby (?) ones seem to turn out nicely and then there are the resin CMR kits, but again an Airfix single seater for a similar price and quality of their trainer would still probably shift plenty.

Got to say though, that with no modern standard and accurate early P40, or T-33 in the market, I wonder why these remain untapped before the javelins and Sea Vixens. Not that I was not grateful to Airfix to gamble on either of those, but when cash is tight ( and their parent company is still not doing that well) I would have thought such money spinners should be in their plans.

In reality the P-80/T-33 family is not such a popular modelling subject, as proven by the fact that there have only been very few kits ever made of both types. While they have been hugely important aircrafts in real aviation, they are not the modelling cash cows some think they are. Speaking of P-80s, I would extend to the old Airfix kit the same opinion I have of the Heller Vampire: rescribe the panel lines, replace the canopy with a vacformed one and here's a very good kit

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Hopefully 2016 will be Airfix's "year of the Jet", as they side stepped jets (more or less) this year. But think of the Jet's either not tooled, or in need of an upgrade in both 1/72nd and 1/48th. We'll all have our favourites, the kits that will earn Airfix zillions...

....Single seater Vampire's in both scales, a single seater Vampire in 1/72th; Venom's in both scales, Hunters - imagine a 1/48th T7 to the same standard as Airfix's Javelin.... and don't get me started on Meteor's!!!!! Scimitar (both scales) and Sea Vixen (1/72)

New Buccaneer's in both scales....a new Vulcan (in 1/72 only though!), a Victor......................and those are just the British jets!

Plenty there to keep me busy for the next 3-4 decades anyway!!

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 2

2016 is the 60th anniversary of the Suez crisis, so it could be a good year for some new jets to emerge, ah its 100 year since Jutland too but they will not do anything for that so don't hold your breath oh forgot you will be ok its only ships they don't do

How about a bit of lateral thinking. Piston Provost, Prentice - in either scale; Pembroke/Sea Prince and Dove/Heron in same. A series of Vickers transports, Viking/Valetta in 72nd and if Airfix really wanted to shake up the model world why not a Blackburn Kangaroo and Cubaroo in 72nd. They would be bought just because they were so dammed ugly.

Ah Well - back to reality - more ruddy Spitfires/Hurricanes Me's and Fw's I suppose. No chance of a Vimy/Vernon/Victoria/Virginia is there ? - thought not, its just that I find rigging so pleasantly relaxing.

Dennis

PS :- Who is looking after A2Zee's 48th Vampires ?

If I were to pic some British jets I`d like to see done by Airfix in 1/72nd scale they would be;

-Scimitar

-Venom and maybe later the Sea Venom.

-Canberra B.2

-Sea Vixen

-Buccaneer

-Javelin

-VC-10

-Jet Provost

But in reality they will do whatever they like, so that is 5 minutes hat I shall never get back!

Tony

If I were to pic some British jets I`d like to see done by Airfix in 1/72nd scale they would be;

-Scimitar

-Venom and maybe later the Sea Venom.

-Canberra B.2

-Sea Vixent

-Buccaneer

-Javelin

-VC-10

-Jet Provost

But in reality they will do whatever they like, so that is 5 minutes hat I shall never get back!

Tony

...and a Hunter T7/8 ....don't forget a Hunter T7/8 ...

I expect Airfix to be at Yeovilton this weekend and usually have sheets of paper for people to suggest their "top 3" suggestions for new kits. here's our chance! Vampire, Venom, Meteor, Buccaneer, Scimitar. Oh Dear! that's 5 choices already.

We will see..It was just a thought.

The Vampire is an important early jet that needs to be done by Airfix. Both 1/72 ad 1/48 would be great!.

Now the Scimaitar would be all them since there are very few injected molded Scimitars in any scales: 1/72 Frog right? everything else is either vac. resin or limited run stuff?? Xtrakit & Skybird 86 did one and I know the CMR resin kit is superlative but very expensive. There was a 1/72 Vac. kit too..Rareplanes maybe???

In 1/48 I only know of the Dybavector & Falcon kits (both vacs.) ??

Steve

Edited by Steven Corvi

We will see..It was just a thought.

The Vampire is an important early jet that needs to be done by Airfix. Both 1/72 ad 1/48 would be great!.

Now the Scimaitar would be all them since there are very few injected molded Scimitars in any scales: 1/72 Frog right? everything else is either vac. resin or limited run stuff?? Xtrakit & Skybird 86 did one and I know the CMR resin kit is superlative but very expensive. There was a 1/72 Vac. kit too..Rareplanes maybe???

In 1/48 I only know of the Dybavector & Falcon kits (both vacs.) ??

Steve

But the Scimitar is a relatively insignificant aircraft compared to a single seat Vampire (1/72nd & 1/48th), Canberra B.2/6 (1/72nd), Hunter T.7 (1/72nd & 1/48th) and the Venom (both single and two seat in 1/72nd & 1/48th), Lightning F.1/3 (1/72nd), all of these are significatly more important and needed to be done properly by someone like Airfix before a Scimitar.

I agree about the Scimitar but I really like the lines of the aircraft. But I would take all those others too:

Vampire (1/72nd & 1/48th), Canberra B.2/6 (1/72nd), Hunter T.7 (1/72nd & 1/48th) and the Venom (both single and two seat in 1/72nd & 1/48th), Lightning F.1/3 (1/72nd)

AND A BUCCANEER !!!

Steve

An Airfix Hunter family in 1/48, that would be awesome!

If done smartly, they could do the whole family: single or two seat front fuselage, different inserts for different noses (GA11, T8M etc), separate leading edge (with or without dogtooth), small and large tailpipes etc...

I made a small shortlist of 32 different Hunters I want to make in 1/48. My 4 Academies are on hold as I got so frustrated with them over time. I'm praying for Airfix to see the light!

• Like 1