RAN Bristol Sycamore HR.51 - At Last!

abat

One year and 2 days from my first WIP post, I can finally call this one done! Bristol Sycamore HR.51 in Royal Australian Navy guise, circa mid-1950's. This was never meant to be a long build, but as it progressed I kept seeing things I just needed to tidy up. The rotor fold, blade cradle, winch, steps, cockpit interior, tail rotor, port side under carraige and front starboard door are all scratch built. And although not 100% accurate and authentic, it looks pretty much like a Sycamore to me.

Maybe one day I'll be tempted by the CMR resin kit, although there's lots more to build yet in my stash and resin makes me sort of anxious.

WIP can be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955537-bristol-sycamore-hr51/

Thanks for looking. Andrew

20150217_EM1_2170045-L.jpg

20150217_EM1_2170051-L.jpg

20150217_EM1_2170054-L.jpg

20150217_EM1_2170056-L.jpg

20150217_EM1_2170061-L.jpg

20150217_EM1_2170071-L.jpg

• Like 24

You have done a fantastic job. I recently had 2 broken ribs plus some other internal injuries. A nurse asked me what my pain level was 0 to 10. 10 being the highest. I told her 50. Your little Sycamore is easily 50 out of 10.

Stephen

• Like 1

What a beautiful build and finish! considering what you started with a real lesson in model making.

Thanks Steve, it certainly didn't fall together.

You have done a fantastic job. I recently had 2 broken ribs plus some other internal injuries. A nurse asked me what my pain level was 0 to 10. 10 being the highest. I told her 50. Your little Sycamore is easily 50 out of 10.

Stephen

Why thank you Stephen. It certainly had its moments of pain, but lots of pleasure too.

That's a lovely piece of work

Thanks.

That's a beautiful example of the modeller's art!

I have to ask, though – since you put in so much work, what was the reasoning behind your decision not to shave off those rather prominent, er… 'rivets'?

Not familiar with the Sycamore, I looked it up on Google and from the photos it looks like a remarkable smooth machine.

Anyway, sterling modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

That's a beautiful example of the modeller's art!

I have to ask, though – since you put in so much work, what was the reasoning behind your decision not to shave off those rather prominent, er… 'rivets'?

Not familiar with the Sycamore, I looked it up on Google and from the photos it looks like a remarkable smooth machine.

Anyway, sterling modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for your kind words Joachim. What to do with the rivets was an early decision. They are prominent but are certainly there on the real thing. Partial sanding wouldn't have looked right and re-scribing makes me more anxious than working with resin.

Seriously good, congrats with the tail rotor rescue, silver looks perfect as dp the decals. Congratulations on a very good model.

Colin

Fantastic work ,looks great .

That is a seriously impressive piece of model making! :)

That's really, really impressive work.

David

Very nice. Good to see a more unusual subject...

Smashing little helicopter, a fine piece of modelling, I like it a lot,

Sean

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your comments. Andrew

Thoroughly enjoyed your WIP for this one Andrew and the finished article looks brilliant. Great modelling, I'm really looking forward to your seaking in the group build section.

I have the CMR kit but like you am a little anxious about resin. I'm getting some practice in with some other resin before I attempt it.

Cheers

Aaron

Thoroughly enjoyed your WIP for this one Andrew and the finished article looks brilliant. Great modelling, I'm really looking forward to your seaking in the group build section.

I have the CMR kit but like you am a little anxious about resin. I'm getting some practice in with some other resin before I attempt it.

Cheers

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. The CMR is a lovely kit. Looks like we need a resin support group! Hopefully the Sea King gets done within the build dates!

• Like 1

How did you achieve that perfect grille? My kit's is so clogged with flash I'm despairing of getting anything useful out of it.

A combination of a no.11 blade and some thin styrene strips.

An excellent model. I've not seen many of these made. You've put a lot of work into this, and it shows. Very well done.

• Like 1

Seriously impressive work for 1/72, well done :thumbsup:

An excellent model. I've not seen many of these made. You've put a lot of work into this, and it shows. Very well done.

Thanks for sharing this with us, it definitely deserves the attention! Great work on this :)

Ben

Thanks Guys

• Like 1