FINISHED: 1/72 Hasegawa/Aeromaster Curtiss P-40N Warhawk "Squirlbate"- Captain Richard J. Vodra, 49th Fighter Group, New Guinea 1944

With my build already being quite advanced, I'm too late to join in the GB 'for real', but I thought I would contribute a WiP thread (with permission) anyway. Here is "Squirlbate", a P-40N flown by Captain Richard J. Vodra of the8th Fighter Squadron, 49th Fighter Group during the New Guinea campaign.

Captain Vodra was credited with two victories during the campaign and later went on to become successful writer and inventor. The name of his mount and the spelling thereof apparently represent his fondness for wordplay, whilst the chequered tail represents a riposte to an enemy pilot, also flying a chequered 'plane who had previously badly shot him up.

The kit is the venerable old 1/72 Hasegawa offering, and the decals are by Aeromaster courtesy of Paul J. I was drawn to it by the interesting colour scheme, which Aeromaster and at least one other source posit as dark green, middle stone and azure blue. Build is out of the box, paints are Humbrol acrylics.

1423696284376_zpsukdowe01.jpg

I started off painting the cockpit and innards Humbrol 226 Interior Green and putting together the fuselage halves and cockpit assembly (above).

I then moved on to the wings, which needed a little clamping:

1423910238251_zpsxxhf1m19.jpg

Edited by Manipled Mutineer
  • Like 2

I once held the Hasegawa and Academy parts alongside one another and concluded Mr Academy had, ahem, borrowed heavily from Mr Hasegawa. Might have another look.

Re the similarity, the story I heard was the man responsible for some of the Hasegawa kits went to Academy. The other aircraft that come to mind with strong resmblances are the P-47 s and a couple others I don' t recall which though but the P-40 and P-47 certainly. However still acceptable and good kits.

• Like 2

Definitely be looking forward to this one coming together, as my childhood nickname was "Squirrelbait" and my father and I still refer to the dog and other peoples' children as such! :D

• Like 2

Many thanks all!

To continue, the next step was to attach the wing section (some fettling needed), and commence that satisfying stage where it first starts to look like an aeroplane: I always like it once the propeller assembly and empennage are complete. I also began rubbing down the seams and cleaning up any glue overruns, with the aim of providing a reasonably respectable surface to paint over. I also dry-fitted the canopy, as seen below.

1424022108134_zpsm6h4sr58.jpg

• Like 3

Re the similarity, the story I heard was the man responsible for some of the Hasegawa kits went to Academy. The other aircraft that come to mind with strong resmblances are the P-47 s and a couple others I don' t recall which though but the P-40 and P-47 certainly. However still acceptable and good kits.

If it means we get a good basic kit with some updates like recessed panel lines and a better cockpit, I'm all in favour. And Hasegawa all too often ration their availability of key models which offends me greatly... so power to you, Mr Academy.

I have a feeling this P-40 is going to look really good. The Curtiss is such a great groupbuild subject, so many scheme options.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, I hope that the final product will be at least passable...

Although it may not immediately look like it, I took more care than usual over the pilot:

IMG_20150215_222708_zps971oebru.jpg

I thought it would be a good opportunity to deploy my new detail brush, which I found I had to twin with a jewellers' eyeglass in order to get any true idea of the effect. It was probably an amusing sight, watching me with brush in one hand, squinting through a loupe firmly clamped to my right spectacle lens by the other. Unfortunately my figure painting skills aren't good enough to make an attempt at a likeness.

Colours were, broadly in line with those set out in the instructions, 26 Khaki, 33 Matt Black, 62 Leather, 61 Flesh and 154 Insignia Yellow, plus a touch of Modelmaster White and Revell Leaf Green (just because I could) for the eyes. One he is installed I will probably glue on the canopy (using Revell Clearfix or PVA) and then move on to the painting. Undercarriage will go on last, owing to my unfortunate tendency to snap bits off otherwise. I have already installed the exhaust stubs (Hu53 Gunmetal, with an overpainting of Hu113 Rust) so most of the remaining assembly is to the undersurface only.

• Like 2

Looks last me it fits well. Are you going to prime it first? I should imagine that green plastic is going to be a pain to cover

Looks last me it fits well. Are you going to prime it first? I should imagine that green plastic is going to be a pain to cover

• Like 1

When you do the paint chipping, go easy and lightly dab edges where you'd imagine paint to wear. And do very small 'dabs' Try scaling yourself down to get an idea of how chipped paint would look. I've seen many a model look like its been flown under a car wash or done with a broom covered in silver paint!

• Like 1

Quick question: Hasegawa provide a gun camera with this kit, with the caution that not all Ns carried one, so one should look at a photograph in order to ascertain the position in relation to the particular aircraft modelled. Does anyone have access to such a photograph, or suggestions as to how I might make this particular call?

Many thanks.

Almost all the combat-deployed Ns I have illustrated seem to have an opening just near the port wing root. Given conditions in New Guinea, footage would have been vital to verification. I am assuming this is a camera port, but I don't have a good cutaway drawing of the P-40.

B72xGV5.jpg

aL8wlGI.jpg

• Like 1