Revell 1/72 A400M Propeller leading edge painting

spfparker

Has anyone managed to find an easy(ish) way to paint the metallic leading edges of the 32 propeller blades of this beast? The yellow tips are supplied using decals and they seem to be ok. Masking them looks to be a nightmare, decals a possibility - any method considered............

If it's the curved nature of the propellers that's the tricky factor then perhaps tracing the curve onto some thin card/paper and using it as a template for trimming equal pieces of masking tape might work?

Regards, Ross.

If it's the curved nature of the propellers that's the tricky factor then perhaps tracing the curve onto some thin card/paper and using it as a template for trimming equal pieces of masking tape might work?

Regards, Ross.

This was the way that I could see it being done......sigh! ah well it'll keep me busy I guess. The other way was to draw the shape, scan it then print it out onto silver coloured decal sheet then cut out each one - but not sure if the decal will be robust enough.. Masking on the props would be tricky in any case as they are quite flimsy..

What about getting a silver marker pen or Sharpie and cutting a small notch out of the tip and running this up the leading edge of each blade?

Eng

Went the decal route - sprayed grey onto clear decal sheet - traced shape and scanned it and then printed out onto the sheet - cut out each individual decal (4 x 8 x 2) and applied them to the props - then touched up the edges with grey. Not perfect by any means but looks ok (for me ) from a distance! I'm sure Revell could've done a better job.

• 10 months later...

Another option is Bare Metal foil. If you can get the right shade.

Has anyone managed to find an easy(ish) way to paint the metallic leading edges of the 32 propeller blades of this beast? The yellow tips are supplied using decals and they seem to be ok. Masking them looks to be a nightmare, decals a possibility - any method considered............

Why not build a mask from pieces of thin plastic card glued together, conforming to the blade? If make it butt against the opposite side of the blade, you can take it off without disturbing the freshly sprayed paint. The work on the the hard mask will take a while, but after that it's very easy sailing.

Rob

• 6 years later...
On 31/12/2015 at 11:44, Whitewolf said:

I note that the RAF aircraft have all their fuselage doors outlined in white. Does the Revell decal sheet include decals for this? It might just be something unique to the RAF aircraft?

I know it's old but in case anyone else is wondering, ALL A400M have white outlined doors except Kazakhstan, where they use red. And yes white door decals are provided.