1/72 Spitfire canopy differences

modelglue

Hello,

This morning I took a look through my spares box and found a few Tamiya centre and rear section canopies. It dawned on me that I had a short shot in another spitfire kit and compared them to see if I could make a swap. The Tamiya Mk. Vb rear most section was very skinny in comparison to the Hasegawa Mk. IX. I took out a few more kits and discovered the Fujimi Mk. XIV and the Sword PR. IV were very different as well.

Was there a large change in the size of the windscreen, hood, or rear (backlight?) sections between Marks? Taking out of consideration armoured/unarmoured and PR style windscreens.

The Fujimi seemed monstrous, yet came from a later Mark. And I won't mention the Academy...

Which canopy should be considered "The Best" ?

Thank you for looking in.

IIRC, the Hasegawa VIII/IX kit fuselage is shorter and slightly "skinnier" than it should be, while Academy XIV for example, is way too wide at that point. It even earned an unofficial nickname as "Spitfire on steroids".

This guy did an in-depth research on Spitfire and found that Tamiya is also not without its faults in the rear fuselage shape

I currently regard the Sword series of early Spits bang-on for accuracy and best in terms of level of detail.

Regards,

Aleksandar

• Like 1

There were differences in canopies before and after the introduction of the internal armoured windscreen, and before that there were a few types. In theory the later marks should all have the same canopies for a given configuration, however in model form things change a lot...

I would agree with Aleksandar that the Sword Spitfires seem to be the best in this scale, however I've not compared the parts to measurements

• Like 1

Thanks both for the replies, I am after a certain consistency with the canopies. I have the Academy built (before it was discovered to be well flawed) and the Tamiya Mk.Vb which I personally hold in high regard despite the rear fuselage tapering too much in lateral chord towards the cockpit.

The Hase' Fuselage is indeed a bit smaller in some dimensions, yet has a larger canopy than the Tamiya.

Giorgio, would you have a specific Mark in mind when you theorize that later examples should all be similar, after that point?

I only have one Sword model on hand, and it has a resin canopy. I will analyze the Sword Mk. Vc when it arrives and compare with the Hasegawa Mk. IX version. I have a few more on the way as well, which may shed some light including the Special Hobby Mk. 21 and the AZ model Mk. XVI.

Are the Airfix Mk I / II / V / IX / XIX generally accurate with regard to the canopies?

Once the internal armoured windscreen arrived on the Mk.Vc. The size of the opening should be the same, with the same width across the central segment. Pressurised canopies should have a wide base to the last segment because they go further down the side of the fuselage.

• Like 1

Graham already anwered on the canopy variation, so I'll pass to the Airfix kits: I believe that the XIX is s bit narrow, this is only my feeling though. I've checked the Mk.I against the Falcon set when I built an early aircraft and found that the length of the clear parts in the kit was longer than the falcon canopy. Who's right ? Not sure, the older ('70s) airfix mould has the same length of the Falcon parts while the new mould has not only a longer cowling but also a longer canopy.

I've yet to check the IX but I can add that for example the Italeri kits have a narrow canopy while the Academy XIV has a too wide canopy as a result of the overly bloated fuselage.

• Like 1

The Falcon parts are designed to fit specific kits rather than being tied to the original's dimensions. They cannot be used as a guide to what is right.

Having said that, there are a few examples where they have gone beyond the limits of the transparencies to correct faults in the fuselage of the intended kits, notably the two Halifax.

• Like 1

I seem to remember some discussion on a thread about Fujimi's canopy, particularly the blown hood being 'overly large', IIRC the conclusion was that it was reasonably accurate. It is possible that this thread was about Tango India Mike's Spitfires, but don't quote me.

The Fujimi XIV bubble canopy could do with a vacform, but it's not too far off.

Kit part

IMG_9317_zpsfb9ca0e4.jpg

Vacform

IMG_6716_zpsee26b073.jpg

Ben

• Like 2

I seem to remember some discussion on a thread about Fujimi's canopy, particularly the blown hood being 'overly large', IIRC the conclusion was that it was reasonably accurate. It is possible that this thread was about Tango India Mike's Spitfires, but don't quote me.

I said that about their highbacks, to be sure. I still think they look weird.

• Like 1

I said that about their highbacks, to be sure. I still think they look weird.

The highback hood is too big? ...it seemed to be in my assessment. Or was the weirdness in reference to the odd hump the Fujimi exhibits? I will have the latter issue resolved via the Quickboost replacement.

Also, the Sword XVI lowback blown hood might be a viable candidate to replace the Fujimi like part.

The highback hood is too big? ...it seemed to be in my assessment. Or was the weirdness in reference to the odd hump the Fujimi exhibits? I will have the latter issue resolved via the Quickboost replacement.

Also, the Sword XVI lowback blown hood might be a viable candidate to replace the Fujimi like part.

The highback Fujimi hood looks too big to my eyes. The quickboost replacement, IIRC, does not correct the hump, merely saves you from having to glue the two sides of it together.

The lowback Fujimi hood seems fine to me, but I tried to use a Sword highback canopy on a Fujimi highback once...no dice.

• Like 1