B25 Mitchell? Warbirds calendar pic

Murdo

The wee fella had been looking for a calendar with pictures of planes on it for me (he's a great wee bloke) and bought me the Warbirds 2015 calendar.

The pic for February is below. The caption says it's a "North American B25 Mitchell". Now I'm no expert on WW2 American planes but I'm pretty sure the pic isn't that of a B25 Mitchell... Unless it's some kind of early prototype.

The fuselage shape is wrong, wings are in the wrong place, the fins are the wrong shape, nacelles and props are wrong etc etc etc.

Can anyone shed some light on what the plane in the picture actually is?

Scan_Pic0001%20Large_zps3h8epsby.jpg

Annoying isn't it when so called calendars come out and they have no idea of what aeroplane is what! But is definitely NOT a B-25 and the type has already been identified earlier.

Re the Matchbox kit, it was most likely the PM kit reboxed. I had one once.

It's a Farliegh Fruitbat Mk XXXVI, very rare aircraft indeed. I believe that Airfix has a 1/82nd scale kit coming out in Albanian Air Force Temperate Arctic Sea Scheme due out in November 1982. I pre ordered mine already from Fly-by-night Hobbies.

• Like 3

It's a Farliegh Fruitbat Mk XXXVI, very rare aircraft indeed. I believe that Airfix has a 1/82nd scale kit coming out in Albanian Air Force Temperate Arctic Sea Scheme due out in November 1982. I pre ordered mine already from Fly-by-night Hobbies.

1/82? Pah, you wait and wait for years and when someone does finally make one, it's the wrong scale - I wanted a 1/83 one...

Yes, the old well it's shaped like a monkey, it walks like a monkey, so it must be a spastic duck.

I have seen this in books on armor many times. I have a book that every time it shows a Panzer 2 D the writer says its a Panzer 38 T, and I have a book on the Panzer 3 that has a really good head on shot of a Panzer 4 B in Greece but he says it's a Panzer 3.

Have a book that has a great cutaway drawing of a B-17F but the call it a B-17G. The printer admitted the mistake in the next book. Its a hard back copy of Military Quarterly.

And I have at least one book that calls a A-36 Apache a P-51 B, even though you can see the 20mm guns clearly, and the wing air-breaks.