Airbrush crowns

treker_ed

Okay stupid question time!

I have two different types of crowns for my airbrush - one is a solid circular type and the other is a crenelated type (looking more like a crown).

Do they have different uses, and different coverage ie does the circular type have a wider spread pattern when spraying than the other and thus is more suitable when using on a much larger kit?

Help and guidance greatly appreciated.

It won't make much difference to the spray although the crown tip may let you get closer when spraying. The main advantage is that you can get at the needle tip to wipe away any dried paint that builds up as you're spraying. I often take the tip off altogether but you need to be very careful not to damage the exposed needle. The crown tip will protect the needle but leave it accessible.

Andy

The cut-out's allow air to escape more easily in comparison to a standard closed cap when working very close to the subject. They can help provide a smoother, less disturbed airflow, help prevent paint build up on the tip of the needle / nozzle & make the tip easier to see (can give you some warning of an accumulating paint "drip" on the tip before it spatters over your work).