I can't believe I'm building a Lanc

Pin

It is a weathering technique. Unfortunately I don't know the English term for it (if exists) - the video below gives pretty good idea how it works. It is quite long but you may skip to the middle to see the essentials

I don't like the result shown on the video - to my taste it is overdone, the effect on my lanc is much more subtle, barely visible

Edited by Pin
  • Like 2

It is a weathering technique. Unfortunately I don't know the English term for it (if exists) - the video below gives pretty good idea how it works. It is quite long but you may skip to the middle to see the essentials

I don't like the result shown on the video - to my taste it is overdone, the effect on my lanc is much more subtle, barely visible

Thanks for that explanation, Dont understand Russian, but the video seems self explanatory. Do you know what type of thinners he is using?

Masks. The trick is that you don't have to paint the entire frame in one go. Mask, blow, remask, blow again etc.

I mask with Tamiya tape that I cut along to get very thin ( < 1mm) strips, the gaps are filled with Gunze masking liquid

I believe this "spot" technique is usually "pin" or filter washing.

Filter is close but slightly different thing

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw02.htm

• Like 1

Death and destruction in scale
1424387172_PICT0347.jpg 1424387180_PICT0348.jpg

Enter trouble.
At first, one of bomb bay actuators got broken
1424387233_PICT0349.jpg

Then I lost rudder trimmer compensators. Not a big deal, they were not in scale anyway, nothing that a piece of a wire and a drop of PVA could not solve
1424387244_PICT0351.jpg

But then I took off the masks. How could I do that! I glued in the wrong nose from Mk.1! Should I tear it off and install a correct one? I'm not happy with pilot canopy either
1424387438_PICT0350.jpg

But the worst thing is that one of the exhausts was eaten by the carpet monster. I'm thinking about making a resin copy but all my supplies has long passed their "best before" date
1424387444_PICT0354.jpg

I was hoping to declare it complete today, apparently this is not to happen
1424387554_PICT0352.jpg 1424387562_PICT0353.jpg 1424387568_PICT0355.jpg

I've seen this weathering technique a lot in armour modelling mags and forums. I believe it's called the "oil dot" technique, I've never tried it myself but I have put it on my "worth a try" list. Some examples I've seen are blended (washed?) using thinners on vertical surfaces to depict rain marks etc. (using gravity to create the runs) but also blended without thinner in some cases to depict subtle, and quite random, tonal variation on panels etc.

I'm more intrigued by the M&S branding on the box ;)

M&S sold a few kits in cooperation with Revell - Spitfire, Concorde, Super Cobra, Jaguar, some cars as well.

Funny enough - I remember I read some article in which the author was outrageous because M&S Spitfires are actually made in Germany :)

• Like 1

M&S sold a few kits in cooperation with Revell - Spitfire, Concorde, Super Cobra, Jaguar, some cars as well.Funny enough - I remember I read some article in which the author was outrageous because M&S Spitfires are actually made in Germany :)

Lol, that's outrageous. It's only 70 years after the end of the war, what were they thinking. Next they'll be saying that we should be united in some sort of European Union or something ;)

That's a very nice looking Lancaster btw, sorry I forgot to mention that earlier :)

• Like 1

End of troubles? Not even close. Tidying up the man cave I manage to hit the plane with a brush hard enough to break it leg. Luckily, the leg and aileron actuators are the only victims of my clumsiness. Fixed

1424555616_PICT0356.jpg

Preparing the form for resin copy of exhaust

1424555622_PICT0357.jpg

I made a decision and replaced the nose with proper Mk3 version
1424555631_PICT0359.jpg 1424555637_PICT0360.jpg 1424555644_PICT0361.jpg 1424555652_PICT0362.jpg

New shiny nose is such a contrast with pilot canopy that is contaminated with some substance inside that I torn it off

1424555659_PICT0365.jpg

The extent of a problem. It seems to be glue or thinner - I have no idea how did it get inside. Everything seemed OK when I masked the canopy

1424555670_PICT0366.jpg 1424555676_PICT0367.jpg

Fortunately the canopy is thick enough to sand down spoiled area. A dip in Future will complete the repair. I still have to remask and repaint the frame - a great fun!

1424555683_PICT0368.jpg 1424555692_PICT0369.jpg

• Like 3