Pocher Mercedes 540K True Roadster Build

I had to remove the radiator and change the bolt holding the center driving light onto the bar. You can see that it looks like a side mirror and it was hitting the grill shell tilting the headlights forward.

IMG_5202_zpskcf0xejw.jpg

IMG_5209_zpse4kftt6t.jpg

The PE on the radiator wasn't fitting very well so I pulled it off and sanded down the plastic underneath the same amount as the thickness of the PE screen.

IMG_5204_zps4koow7m9.jpg

IMG_5212_zpsaqrh4dsu.jpg

As I was putting back together I was looking and the connecting piece down the middle of PE piece and I might still go back and remove that so the center vertical piece of the grille shell will seat into the slot better. I'm going to let this sit overnight and see how I feel about tomorrow and go from there.

IMG_5216_zpsryxkrfud.jpg

Here's just a few test fitting pictures so I can see what if anything has moved around or needs to be re-adjusted.

IMG_5220_zpszv0cfssm.jpg

IMG_5221_zpstwrqvzon.jpg

IMG_5222_zps8jpuh0ns.jpg

IMG_5223_zpspp5dypp2.jpg

IMG_5224_zps3zrzo52e.jpg

• Like 3

Swoopy and rakish looking in perfect black. So good to see it right-side-up.

Cut some glass for a case out in that new workshop. Glass will enhance the clarity of the paint; plexi will dim it down a bit.

Very inspiring.

Seems you have the lights density totally under control, dashboard and head lamps. Great effect.

The black color and contrast with the ivory leather is very elegant.

Don't hurry, enjoy !

ps i look forward to see your mini lathe being active this winter.

Wayne, good progress. Very nice to see the car all lighted up.

I like your workshop. I actually envy you a bit.

I do have a nice workspace above my garage but the table top is mostly right under the roof taking away a lot of height above the tabletops.

All you guys have inspired me such that I have taken up building my Alfa Coupe Elegant. I was not going to fot a few years until I was retired, but then you guys showed me what can be done with these Pochers.

So it is all your fault.

I am not expecting this first attempt to come out anywhere near what you Codger, Roy and other are showing here, but my skills will progress with time and experience.

I have not been building for 35 years or so, started chassis and engine a number of years back, took it now all apart and am redoing them.

I will share pictures of the build later.

• Like 1

All you guys have inspired me such that I have taken up building my Alfa Coupe Elegant. I was not going to fot a few years until I was retired, but then you guys showed me what can be done with these Pochers.

So it is all your fault.

I am not expecting this first attempt to come out anywhere near what you Codger, Roy and other are showing here, but my skills will progress with time and experience.

I have not been building for 35 years or so, started chassis and engine a number of years back, took it now all apart and am redoing them.

I will share pictures of the build later.

This is great news. By all means start a WIP; there can't be too many Pochers. Especially a rare one like the Elegant. :frantic:

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm glad to see Poul is going to start the Alfa Coupe and post it here on the forum. It's starting to look and feel like a big scale fall and winter may be upon us. I can't wait to see everyone's builds progress. Speaking of progress, I'm only slightly stalled at the moment and that's why I haven't followed up on my last post. The grille and radiator shell have been giving me fits trying to get it all straight. Just as soon as I think I have it right, it winds up misaligned. I decided that the vertical center PE connection was throwing it off. I tried to short cut the process and cut off the piece with it still glued to the radiator. The PE grille got bent and I had to take it all apart again. In the meantime I ordered the rock shield for the grille and I'm still waiting on that. I should have just taken it apart in the first place instead of trying to avoid the inevitable. When I get all the pieces assembled, I'm going to have to loosen the headlight bar and both front fenders to get the radiator and shell to sit down where it needs to be. One step forward two steps back.

In the meantime, I'm almost done with the garage workshop. I should be able to get the lathe up and going soon along with some other new acquisitions. More later this week.

Thanks

Thanks guys, I'm glad to see Poul is going to start the Alfa Coupe and post it here on the forum. It's starting to look and feel like a big scale fall and winter may be upon us. I can't wait to see everyone's builds progress. Speaking of progress, I'm only slightly stalled at the moment and that's why I haven't followed up on my last post. The grille and radiator shell have been giving me fits trying to get it all straight. Just as soon as I think I have it right, it winds up misaligned. I decided that the vertical center PE connection was throwing it off. I tried to short cut the process and cut off the piece with it still glued to the radiator. The PE grille got bent and I had to take it all apart again. In the meantime I ordered the rock shield for the grille and I'm still waiting on that. I should have just taken it apart in the first place instead of trying to avoid the inevitable. When I get all the pieces assembled, I'm going to have to loosen the headlight bar and both front fenders to get the radiator and shell to sit down where it needs to be. One step forward two steps back.

In the meantime, I'm almost done with the garage workshop. I should be able to get the lathe up and going soon along with some other new acquisitions. More later this week.

Thanks

That really is a piece of art Wayne.....looking forward to seeing how it all works out once the rock guard arrives....these 'stalls' keep us sharp....and remember...your pain is a useful lesson to those who follow.

Another 'Big Build' is born from the work you and others have shown....and the inspiration such work engenders.

Ron

Received the rock guard today. I just took a couple of pictures to see how it looks mocked up.

This is a little dark and the silver line is on the black plastic radiator and rest is the PE parts.

IMG_5244_zpsy7segpgo.jpg

Same picture with flash

IMG_5245_zpskxcs1hwl.jpg

Mocked up and even though this wasn't an originally planned piece, I think I like it better with it on.

IMG_5246_zpsumiytwhi.jpg

• Like 1

Love the etch stoneguard for the grille.

It ought to make the front end.

Like many other I am also envious of your shop space.

I am currently debating ripping out the paneling in my shop as it is more than a bit warped.

I don't have an update yet but, as I was playing catch up on the threads this morning, I started thinking about all the great new builds and really detailed work being done on all the Pochers. And, rather than hijack someone else's thread, I thought that I would retreat to my own and share my observations. We are seeing not only a lot of new Pochers being started but, a lot of new guys that have been watching for some time and have now finally come out and are posting as well as building. The quantity of Pochers is one thing but, the quality of the builds is even better. There is some great work being done by a couple of new guys; Thierry and his Bugatti and David and his Alfa to name just two. This is not to overlook the long running builds of Codger's fabulous Rolls, Keith's beautiful Mercedes, Rich's Bugatti and now giant Volvo truck. There's also a lot of great 1/12 scale work being done here as well. The 806 Gangshow comes to mind with VT, Andi, Triumphfan, and I know that there is one or two more within the group, sorry if I left you out. There's also Sharky and his Mestopholes, spelling error but, I'm on my phone and can't leave this page which is why I know that there are others and I'm sorry if I left anyone off.

But, what I keep coming back to, in my mind, is Roy. Even though he hasn't built a Pocher here on the forum in quite a while, he has been influential in what we are seeing with regard to the level of detail and scratch building of not just the Pochers but, other scales as well.

Speaking for myself, I know over the course of the building of this Mercedes that, my build has changed and evolved so many times because of what he and Codger have done on their builds and I have learned from this. I'm not afraid of taking risks and scratch building things now or modifying something because I know that if I screwed up, it can be fixed.

Thanks guys for all your help, directly one to one and indirectly by posting a technique or something that I adapted to my own needs. I just wanted to take a minute and acknowledge your influence on what we're seeing today and urge those of you guys that are still just watching and on the fence about posting comments or your builds to join in. I was one of you not so long ago and now I'm glad I got involved, it's a lot better on this side of the page! Thanks for indulging me in my commentary this morning.

• Like 4

A great commentary - you're so right regarding many 'closet-builders' now coming out.

It's great to see all the different scales, particularly (for me) the bigger stuff.

I haven't built a Pocher for quite a while now but I still have the Merc boat-tail on my mental drawing board, as well as the Bugatti that peeps at me from the top of a wardrobe.

Trouble is, scratch building seems to have taken over and my stash of around a dozen+ 1/12 Tamiya cars now has little interest although the big Enzo is one I frequently open the box and look at.

Many thanks for your very kind words about my own plastic-bashing and I can only say I'm genuinely pleased if my efforts are of any help to anyone.

I too frequently pick up ideas and tips from others - yourself included as well as Mr C, Andi, etc etc - apologies for not naming many others.

I'm as guilty as many that I look and don't comment as often as I should.

As Wayne says to all the thread readers: Comment and ASK.

We all benefit and learn that way.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 3

Perfectly stated by Wayne and Roy. We all benefit when questions are asked and opinions expressed.

This forum is blessed with a membership that is thoughtful and freely presents well-meaning and constructive ideas and methods - I can't even use the word 'criticism'. No mean-spirited egos here. Unlike some forums I've seen.

I think we all like what we do and who we all are. We may possibly be an older crowd (my name is also my description...) with like sensibilities and 'competition' is not the reason we show and tell our stuff. Sharing is its own reward - as all of the guys above have shown.

I get great satisfaction from 'solving' my Rolls. That is compounded when someone else learns and tries what I did and makes it work in their application. Very rewarding.

Very detailed and explicit threads by Danny G, Wayne, Roy and new folks like Thierry and Endeavor (among many others) are beneficial to all. That this work is done on large models also makes it easier to assimilate and learn.

So climb aboard and speak your piece. I assure you compliments are nice but we don't post for 'attaboy's'; but rather to get others inspired to participate, build and comment - pro or con.

Off my soapbox now and apologies to Wayne for making this a pulpit. Back to the great builds! :bye:

• Like 3

I totaly agree with what was written by Larchiefeng, Codger and Roymattblack.

And I wish to congratulate them for these so very right and relevant comments.

I've to say that, for my part, I never would be able to work as well as my commentators claim, without taking inspiration of the shared works, methods, tips and tricks, experiences and advices of other great modellers that all of you guys are, here on this forum, but from others too.

Best regards

Thierry

• Like 1

may i concur ? i concur, concur ..( although i am not a doctor )

Wayne may i ask where did you get this beautiful rock guard ?

also, i was just reviewing your build, and i must say this wiring and lamps ( and the solution to hide the wires ) is a great add on.

Is your decision to build the display stand stemming from keeping the batteries out of the car ?

fantastic upgrade, specially because you managed to upgrade the beauty without the lighting becoming a gadget/toy. I hope many will pick up on this upgrade. I surely will if i ever take the plunge for a Pocher.

This is not going to look like much progress but, it is. What I have been posting up to this point are mock ups of the lighting to make sure that it is all still working prior to soldering and doing the final wiring run. But first, I've been wrestling with the radiator and grille assembly to try and get it straight. As I said before, I needed to buy the rock guard to enhance/hide my mistakes and make it look right. So the first picture is the grille assembly prior to installation.

215bfaf4-cfc7-42bc-835f-6fe157e9f972_zps

Here is the grille installed and the lighting is still mocked up as indicated by the red and black wires wrapping around the running board. I had to basically disassemble the front end in order to get the grille in place. The was loosen the fenders and remove the headlight bar to get it straight and put it all back together again without tearing out the soldered headlights.

IMG_5278_zpschp3il7r.jpg

Here are the right side headlight and marker light soldered together to the single pair wire running through the tube to the rear of the car. It is also coated with liquid plastic to insulate the wires. Later I hide the wire better after the other end was soldered to the connector pins to the breadboard power supply.

IMG_5281_zpsscyeaphd.jpg

Everything soldered and connected in its final configuration.

IMG_5289_zpsjt1iai7t.jpg

IMG_5286_zpspkedcv8g.jpg

IMG_5287_zpsvtsg8wyx.jpg

Lights off in the dark, these nano LEDs are pretty bright.

IMG_5293_zpsqgqgkw5r.jpg

Next will be to run the connectors to the tail lights and get ready to hook up the tail lights. Since it's been a while since I've actually done any new work on it I also need to sit down and go through my list of things to be done and take care of those things before I get carried away with tail lights. They are pretty fragile and I really want to make sure I'm done handling the car too much before putting them on. I know that I have to finish the door handles, steering wheel and make some seat adjustments. Then there is some work to do on the hood too; I have handles that need to go on the side panels and two piano hinges need to be attached. There's also other small details like the windshield wipers and tailpipes fishtails etc. Anyway, it's progress and next time it will be something new and different.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Well guys, this thread is not dead yet! I've been taking a break and I finally decided to get back to this and finish it up. I still have a few things left to do but, it's almost done. I also have to say the trying to edit the photos in Photobucket has been a major PIA and has taken forever just to edit the picture size!

Interior done with the exception of the horn button

DSC_0898_zpsphcihfjr.jpg

Night time view with the lights on

DSC_0915_zpsuaocjv9f.jpg

DSC_0914_zpsoe7qxu00.jpg

Day time but, in desperate need of cleaning

DSC_0910_zps58p0ehrx.jpg

Flip side night time with lights on

DSC_0905_zpsqf5pfab9.jpg

Flip side day time

DSC_0904_zpsszufxehl.jpg

Doors open, interior done and the Mercedes grille emblem fell off. Another small detail to put back on along with the MMC windshield wipers

DSC_0903_zpsfgvvs5sd.jpg

Another view, need to add the ID plates on the cowl/firewall

DSC_0902_zpshanonfdd.jpg

Closer view and all the electronics fit under the seat and the gearshift lever is the on/off switch for the lights

DSC_0901_zps8n2deksc.jpg

Back to the rear end for a moment; I really love the lines of the re-worked back end without the spare tire and no bumper. This was the look I was going for when I was getting rid of the convertible top; I'm going to have to tuck the fishtail tailpipe tips back under the body a little bit though.

DSC_0897_zpsubieyecm.jpg

A quick reminder of the engine

DSC_0899_zpsoqwhmvg1.jpg

Parting shot for now

DSC_0900_zpsownxahbf.jpg

As I said at the beginning, I just have a couple of minor details to add and it's totally complete. I will also need to polish out all the fingerprints which I fear might be a little difficult with all the small details to get in the way of the sausage fingers. I will finish this off in a few weeks when all is done and then, I will take some better pictures after the weather warms up and the sun comes back out again. I have started a custom wooden base for the display case which, again, will have to wait for warmer weather to finish. So when, I do post it in the RFI section, I hope to have a completed display. I felt that I needed to come back to this thread and put a period on it for all of you that, followed it for so long. I'm also finishing up my Tamiya 1/12 935 Hawaiian Tropic Porsche which, there is no thread on and even though I took pictures all through the build I don't think a build thread is needed. I might do an RFI on it but, I'm not sure.

The next project at the moment, is scheduled to be a Pocher Alfa Monza which, is started but, set aside while I finished these other two. I am also toying with the idea of cutting up a Pocher K82 and making a Special Roadster out of it which involves cutting down the doors, cowl, firewall and making a new longer hood out of brass. It's a build that David Cox has done and has written a build journal about. I'm not sure that, I'm quite ready to tackle that one but, it's on my wishlist to build. 

• Like 4