Pocher Mercedes 540K True Roadster Build

It's been a few days now and I've had a lot cutting, fitting and cutting again on the plastic card and leather just to get the three panels to fit and look decent. While I was making each panel I was also making a duplicate panel for the other side so, I hopefully won't have go through all the fitting again. Well, at least not as much anyway. So, rather than bore you with all of those pictures I'm just going to show you the one finished door trim panel. After I post these couple of pictures I'm going to get the other door panel done and then I'm going to cut and install the leather piece that goes across the cowl above the dash on the body that connects the two door upper leather trim pieces. After that, all that's left on the interior is the dash and carpet. Then just a bunch of small finish detail stuff and lighting. Anyway, here's the trim panel.

IMG_4347_zpshfpnwqi9.jpg

IMG_4353_zpshpituszn.jpg

IMG_4354_zpscp1k3lbf.jpg

I'm still toying with the idea of armrests but, I want to get this done first and maybe tweak it later.

Very nice Wayne, definitely worth all the effort you have put in.

I have been taking lots of notes, I hope I can pull some thing like this off when I come to my interior, although it does seem a long way off at the moment.

Best Regards

Keith.

Looking very nice, Wayne. Good that you have solved the shortage issue. I like the trimming you put in between. Works really well.

Thanks guys, it's been interesting to try and make them look decent given the fact that, if I messed up I had no other options. Is it what originally envisioned for the door panels, no but I can live with it. Part of the learning process on building these Pochers is making mistakes. I just ran out of material because I made a lot of mistakes. I think what may have been lost in this thread, is that this is my first ever Pocher build. I have never worked with leather or done an interior like this before either. The learning curve on this model was a steep one but, I've learned a lot of valuable things throughout the process. Even though I've been building models most of my life and I thought I knew a lot, these kits let you know that there is still more to learn. So when you look at the interior keep in mind that it's new and unfamiliar territory for me. I know that the next one will be better and so on because I've made most of the mistakes on this one and I know what works and what doesn't. The interior was my biggest fear going into this build and as I'm now coming out of this part of the build I don't have that worry anymore. Knowing what I know now, I'd love to do all the pieces over again but, I don't want to change the color and I can't match it so I can be happy with the effort and use it as a yardstick to measure future projects against.

The other door took me about an hour and a half to complete up to the point of adding the two leather panels after I posted these pictures, about a 3 day time difference and I should have them done early today and be moving on to the body cowl trim and other details. So, we will see what I can get done today.

Keith, keep in mind that your doors are different and are a bit more complicated but, the way the top of the door runs you could add a wood piece across the top if you want and it would look good. My doors have no windows and are curved which really didn't lend itself to introducing wood on the interior. More later.

I should also add here that, part of the reason it took me so long on the door trim was because of the four screws that hold the trim to the outer door shell. I didn't want them to show so, I had to make the trim in such a way that they aren't visible. That took me a while to figure out how to make that happen.

The take-away here is that Pocher classics are all about problem solving. Especially if you stray from OOB and plan ambitious changes. Wayne has done that and has more challenges ahead.

That's also the real value you get from these now expensive kits. Wayne has a year of model problem-solving and satisfaction into his. And I have two. I much prefer this to many smaller, simpler builds but that's just me.

Of course, many big complex builds is fine too. Roy proved that...

Thanks Mr. C. Yeah, there isn't a lot of instant gratification with these kits unless you approach it as a lot of small models within the whole model. And, they are big enough for this to be possible. I'm like a lot of you guys, in that I'm used to building one model after another and having a constant change of subjects to keep me interested. This kit is definitely a departure from that. Besides the Testarossa build that's also going on with this one I do have plans for another one or two Pocher kits that I already have sitting here and a couple of 1/12 MFH kits that I already have as well. So, this kit is kind of the beginning of the big boy builds for me. I am learning patience and I am restraining myself to only two builds at a time.

This is coming along really great.

Just to throw in a proverbial spanner...

How about adding a 'roll' of the grey leather across the top of the seat backs, just to really tie the colour in?

Maybe even do the dash top in grey?

You would then have a 'hoop' of grey running around the interior.

Regarding my somewhat rapid form of biggie building that Mr C has mentioned:

I admit, I do turn out completed models 'fairly' quickly compared to some - if 4-5-6 months is quick on a 1/8 car.

However, I do tend to work on my models for anywhere between 6-14 hours a day, 5 days a week, with a further 3-4 hours a day on weekends.

Also, once I get into a build I'm pretty relentless and don't really stop for anything other than a quick cuppa or a sandwich.

I also tend to be a bit single minded in my work. If something needs sorting, I'll go at it non-stop until it's done.

I've been known to cast, clean up, fettle and assemble a basic resin engine for my Jags and Aston in a day.

The engine might be pretty complete in 3-4 days.

It's just the way I work.

I love what's going on here though.

Lots tucked away for my Merc. (Eventually...)

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Roy brings to light a strong point; the pace at which we three (Wayne, Roy, myself) all work. 6 to 14 hours is amazing; when I was completely well, I could go 8 or 9 hours tops. Now a good day is 6 for me. I know Wayne has had many interruptions due to health and personal matters all of which disrupt pace and continuity.

I think the key is we each strive for the highest level of quality in our own time and way.

And for us key is that you all still find the time to share your great work with us.

Thanks are in order. Keep on doing that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight on how you all build. As Mr. C has mentioned, my work habits are and have been all over the board. I tend to get interrupted a lot and it is sometimes difficult for me to get back into the groove once out of it. Since I'm not really on a time line I don't feel a sense of urgency to have to be on the workbench so, lately I've been a little more casual about things. I also tend to run in spurts where I'm at it for days on end spending a lot of hours at a time and then nothing for days.

Enough of my poor work habits. Roy, it's funny that you see that leather as grey, and I know it's the light in the picture but, it is really a tan. More to the point, it is the same leather that you and I tried to get as the match for the first cream colored leather you got me. So, you have actually held both leathers in your hands, albeit at different times. It just goes to show how different they are and how much lighting can change a picture. Since I have the seat leather already on the top of the door I have to continue it around to the top of the cowl on the body to provide the continuing line. However, since the newer grayish tan leather is lower on the door panel it could be used on the dashboard itself and look perfectly in keeping with the theme and tie the two colors in together. When I finish the door I'll cut a test piece and see how it looks. I have plenty of that leather to play around with. I hope to get there later on; the youngest daughter is home from college today so, it's been more about catching up with her and just spending time together.

OK, I finally got back on the bench today and finished the other door with the exception of the chrome trim in between the panels. I haven't put the door handles on either door yet just because they are subject to getting broken when I do the final polishing and assembly. I also managed to get the upper cowl trim on the body that finishes the upper door trim. So, I figured it's been such a long time since I've seen most of the finished pieces on the car I thought I'd put as many pieces as I could on it as a mock up to get a sense of what it's all going to look like when it's done. Keep in mind most of the pieces are just sitting on the car and aren't screwed down with a couple of exceptions. So, with that said here we go.

No hood, no fenders and no carpet

DSC_0830_zpsxggbo0dw.jpg

DSC_0831_zpsmmxagqiv.jpg

DSC_0832_zpsysjnvlkf.jpg

DSC_0833_zpsmztzsa6w.jpg

With fenders

DSC_0834_zpsj3qj1gmr.jpg

DSC_0835_zpscg1p5mck.jpg

DSC_0836_zpsdkthorim.jpg

With hood and fenders

DSC_0837_zps1xvxfl8c.jpg

DSC_0839_zpssqbryady.jpg

There is still some work to do on the dash and chrome trim on the doors, carpet, steering wheel and so on. I was able to get the top chrome strip on the door panel to line up with the bottom edge of chrome on the dash so, it flows. You can see a small triangle of black between the door and the dash which will be covered in the upper door/dash leather and just below that where the color changes on the door the kick panels on the cowl will be covered in the grey/tan leather. And across the edge of the leather on the cowl there is still some black beading to be put on where you can see a small ragged edge toward the hood area. So, still lots of little things to be done.

And finally, with some of his little friends.

DSC_0842_zpssxr9vmmm.jpg

• Like 1

It's great to see the direction you're headed by a full mock-up like this once in a while. And you're headed in a great direction. The model will be dramatic when all done.

It easy to see some of your distractions strewn about in your toy room.... :chair:

Wow the Mercedes is looking great! An incredible transformation from the white/brown stock kit to this. The interior is really incredible, especially now that we can see everything put together! I had noticed some of the trim at the top of the dash and behind the seat on the body. Really stunning

Stunning, Wayne. It all comes together very nicely. You mention some items that need correction. It will look even better then.

It will bring a nice flow from door to dash to door.

You might want to think about continuing the flow between seat and doors.

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the kind words. Roy, I know that I don't have quite the amount of other stuff that you do but, I can relate. Besides this Mercedes, I have the Testarossa build going and I've just taken apart a Bugatti engine that I'll be detailing along side of the TR engine but, not in the thread and I just received some special order Zero Paint Giallo Fly Yellow to completely re-paint a Lamborghini Aventador I picked up a while ago. Today has been one of gathering supplies for all of the builds to keep them moving along. I ordered some banjo fittings and a 100 brass bolts and washers for the Bug engine detail and I also ordered some micro mini connectors for the lights on the Mercedes so, I can pre-wire all the power distribution and run all the wiring out to the frame so all I have to do when I put the body on with the headlights and tail lights is plug them into the mini connectors hidden on the frame. I did manage to get back to finishing up the the blank plates for the muffler ends to hide the seams without using a glob of putty. I'll still use a tiny bit to finish off the covers when I'm done sanding them. Here are some pictures of them being fitted and all glued on. Nothing special but, another thing to clean up the detail on the car which, will probably never be seen under the car. And, I can check it off the list and tomorrow I'll prime and paint the entire exhaust system and work on finishing up all the under floor work left to be done.

All the pieces cut out and ready to be assembled and I put all the shapes on a template for the next Mercedes so, I don't have to do this again.

IMG_4405_zps65he21ul.jpg

This doesn't look like much but, it's a real pain to get all these little pieces sanded and fit to the inside diameter of the odd shapes.

IMG_4407_zpsxbqadtok.jpg

Still not perfect but, I can put a tiny bit of filler in the area to fill it up.

IMG_4408_zpsi1pvkcmd.jpg

All three done and ready for tomorrow

IMG_4409_zpssbbdrse5.jpg

There should be lots of little details being finished off as the days go on and I might be bouncing back and forth between this one and the Testarossa depending on what I have supplies for.

the mini electrical connectors sounds like a great idea. Will be curious to see how you route them through the kit. Great work on the mufflers. I can see how that would be easier than puttying up the seam. It is something I will have to keep in find for future builds with those clam shell part designs

Brilliant and diligent engineering (after all you're a retired engineer!) on little-seen parts. I can relate and appreciate. I have a box full of templates too. This kind of stuff raises the build into the advanced and professional category. But so did the upholstery, switches and wiring, parts fit, incredible paint, yada, yada...............

Today has been a day of working on a lot of little projects. First off, I laid out the exhaust system and made sure all the pieces fit together.

IMG_4410_zpsbrt1koql.jpg

Besides doing the little seam covers on the mufflers, I have two MMC upgrades for the rear section on the exhaust system. The brass exhaust pipe brackets which, are a must since I broke the kit ones three times, and the fishtail exhaust tips. I also have the upgraded flexible chrome exhaust pipes off the engine but, we're not there yet.

IMG_4411_zps9sog7gza.jpg

A start on the painting which I spent an hour tearing down two of my airbrushes to clean them out and I still got splatter on darker ones. The light color pale burnt metal one in the middle isn't the color I want so, I'll probably paint it to match the other two. The steel colored down pipes will get a mist of some exhaust bluing color to show heat.

IMG_4416_zpsycpz5kbx.jpg

Adios, body and interior, time to get down to business and finish up the remainder of the drive line. So, everything needs to come off and get down to the frame. Love the super gloss rubbed out black paint.

IMG_4419_zpsimavezrp.jpg

Down to the frame where you can see the missing transmission, drive shaft and chrome exhaust pipes off the engine. All, to be taken care of now that I'm getting to the finishing details but, nothing is going to be closed up until I get the micro electrical connectors for the headlights and tail lights.

IMG_4418_zpsvbzi1znm.jpg

Everything off the car and ready to be addressed. First thing was to wire up the light switch inside the transmission and drilling a hole for the wire to route out of to the floor power area; I just finished soldering the wires to the switch. Once it's completed I can install the trans and drive shaft and put the last cable on the e-brake from the trans brake lever to the pulley under the floor. When that's done I can finish installing the exhaust system.

IMG_4417_zpsdf9j6if6.jpg

Before I pulled everything apart I checked the terminal block and battery box placement under the seat and it all fits perfectly with room to spare. So, the parts are drawn out onto the rear floor section under the seat and I started cutting templates for the carpet.

IMG_4415_zps1yjxzbsr.jpg

With all the wiring connections under the seat, you can see the necessity of having the wiring connectors so all this is done and routed out before the fenders and body go on and I can test everything before I button it all up.

IMG_4413_zpszuebmoe6.jpg

IMG_4414_zps2rstjybe.jpg

Super neat and organized work - like an engineer! That black is killer and will 'make' the car when dressed with its chrome.

Looks like you don't cut on that beautiful cutting mat. :nono:

Even the pictures were brighter!!

• Like 1

Wayne probably cuts on the table top to protect the mat, LOL

Looking good, Wayne. I see that the connector block is based on pairs of connections. Are you going to create some sort of rail to connect one single DC + on row at one side?

How are you going to ground the lights? Are you planning to use half of the pairs for ground and the other half for +?

Edited by Pouln
  • Like 1

Thanks guys but, mat has been cut on frequently already it's just a lot bigger so it doesn't show as much. I'm actually surprised that it seems to heal back up and not show. I do have two older mats that I can break out and put on top if necessary. I'm also now using the card table that the jig is on and it expands the work area now. I can go to the bench and do all the small stuff and stay on the card table and not move everything back and forth. It is working out better than before with the big car staying put I have more room to work on it now that I'm adding things to it.

Poul, I bought a terminal connector that has a common rail with prongs for each terminal but when I tried to put it on yesterday the prongs didn't lineup and the prongs are too wide for the block; I'll take a picture later. I'll post today's progress later.