Pocher Mercedes 540K True Roadster Build

Wayne, welcome to the forum and I'm happy that you chose my thread to make your first post. I have seen a small portion of this build of Zimmerman in another forum but, it was no where near as complete as this link you sent. I can see what I'll be reading for a while. Thank you for sharing it. His work is definitely on a par with Mr. Wingrove it's just a different genre and no less impressive. I know by reading that thread I will pick up building tips and ideas that will make me a better modeler as I start my mini lathe adventure. Since I've been posting on this forum and made friends with s number of people here I have improved my skills quite a bit just by stretching myself and with the urging of others to try things. This Mercedes thread hit the one year mark a few days ago and I know when I started it, I sure didn't think it was going to be this long. As I have so much time invested in it, I will try not to rush it here getting close to the end. It is always the finishing details that make the model. I found that I was starting to do that a bit and being short on the leather is problematic for me because, I can already see where I would like to start all over again with the dash but, I don't believe I have enough to finish if I do. I already have to remake the instrument cluster out of the mother of pearl and when I do that, I make sat the dash aside and work on the doors next just to make sure I can finish them. If I have any leather left and it's necessary I'll maybe redo it. These are the trade offs and things you run into when doing things for the first time. If I knew then what I know now I would have purchased two hides for this job so, I would have had enough to cover my mistakes and learning curve. I've already had this conversation with another friend and urged him to buy two so he won't have the same problem as I'm facing. So, just small things like that are part of the learning process and will be filed away in the "I'll never do that again" category. Well, I'm off to go get the lathe. I'll post some before and after pictures of my new acquisition when I get it and after I clean it up and get it ready to go.

I was following the build of Roger on the Americon forum that seems to be lost in cyberspace.. I knew he was posting on another forum too, but I didn't remeber which, so thank you for the link to the ACAA forum.

What he is building is unbelievable and, yes it really warrants a book.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I've been absent on this build for a while. I did read the Lincoln build on another forum which was nowhere near as detailed as this one Poul has linked us to. Very impressive and kind of brings one back to earth after seeing this guy can do with a lathe and a mill. Even though I haven't posted anything here, I have been working on the Testarossa. I felt I needed a break from this one so, I don't continue to make mistakes. I've still been looking for a match for this leather to give me some breathing room if I have to do something over again. I received some today but, it's not even close despite the color in the picture. I have another sample coming which, looks closer to the cream color on the seat. At some point, if I can't get the right color, I'll just have to go with what I have. For now though, I'm going to keep going with the TR and come back to this when I'm more focused in on this build and finish it. There is no way that I will not finish this build, I'm just clearing my head for a minute.

Wayne, since it seems to be very difficult to get leather with matching color, would it be an option to buy a bottle of leather paint?

I once did paint the seats of my 1:1 Volvo 262C when I got seats from another car that didn't look quite as the rest of seats. Worked very well and was also very durable (not that the latter would matter much for your Merc).

I don't know about that but, I suppose it could be a Plan C or D. I'm in contact with someone today to try and see if he can match my leather so, we'll see what he says. I have a few other ideas as well but, I'm going to go through them one at a time. I really want more leather before I continue on with the interior. I suppose there are a couple of housekeeping items I could do in the meantime like finish the exhaust system and connect the radiator hoses etc. I really need to be able to finish the interior to really move on with the lighting and final body assembly to make all the wiring connections etc. I just want to exhaust all my options on acquiring more leather before diving back in. I've had to do most things on the interior more than once or twice or more so, the idea of not having enough really bothers me going forward. I'd rather have it and not need it then need and not have it.

I'm waiting on a leather care package from a friend and an eBay order and hopefully one or both will work as a match or complement to my leather. After seeing Codger's beautiful work on his seats, I'm motivated, and I need to get back to the Merc and finish the interior and not worry about making a mistake and, just do it. With my main distraction over now, I can move forward without the stress of attorneys so, I can fully concentrate on the builds I have going. I also got some insight on the MMC metal dash which, validated my own opinion so, I know how to fix the instrument cluster issue. For such a small piece, there is a lot of work that goes into it and if you make a mistake it's a start over situation. So, as soon as I get the leather and get the Testrossa painted, I'll have enough space cleared on my workbench to be able to work on parts of both cars at once and be able to move both builds along quicker.

Today, I received the big hide from the eBay seller and even though, it's not a perfect match, it's close and a complementary color. So, that, will allow me to use it with the other leather to make the door panels. I'm still going to wait on the care package before I do anything. Once I get it I'll know which way I'm going to go. Once, I get the Ferrari painted, I can work on both interiors at the same time and experiment on panels where I have an abundance of leather and either make my mistakes or refine my technique before I go for the panels where I have a shortage. By getting into the groove with lesser pieces, I'll be ready to tackle the areas where I'm short of material. I doubt I'll get anything more done on this build until the weekend. I, at least, have a plan and that's half the battle at this point with this car. I'm getting really close to finishing this build and the last thing I want to do is screw something up. So, sometimes, I have to take a step back and think about where I'm going and what needs to be done and when.

I received the care package today and unfortunately, it's not a match but, it is a good complementary color. So, no more putting off the interior; I'm going to incorporate two or three different materials on each door panel in order to finish and still have a small amount left for the dash if needed. Like I said on the other thread, once the paint job is complete on the TR, I'll be working a little on each of these builds to move them along. Both cars are planned to have working lights but, the Merc will be more traditional and less elaborate which, is a good start. Anyway, hang in there, things should pick up here soon.

So, while I'm waiting on the LED's to get here for the Testarossa, I'm going to start the door trim panels on the Mercedes tomorrow. I'm going to come up with a design and transfer it in a tricolor to each panel and fix the wonky MMC door handles and see if I can get both done tomorrow after my trip to the dentist. So, tomorrow I should have an update with pictures.

Edited by larchiefeng

I didn't make much progress today but, I did sit down and start a door trim panel layout. Then, I decided to cut out the pieces to see what it would look like. After I got all the pieces cut out, I realized what an idiot I was. I didn't allow any overlap to wrap around the plastic panels. Now, normally that, wouldn't be any big deal but, I forgot that am fighting a lack of material on the original leather. So, now I'm really short. I have to stop doing things when I'm tired. Anyway, here is a picture of this layout that, I'm not sure I will keep but, it gives you an idea of where I'm going.

IMG_4259_zps5gfmvosg.jpg

IMG_4264_zpsjakkx6y4.jpg

I made a little progress today on the trim panel and the outer door leather wrap over the top of the door.

IMG_4265_zps88wtso4k.jpg

I realized that if I glued one portion down, I could stretch the leather just enough to wrap it over the edges. So, I started on the back by gluing a small section down and then gluing all across the top of the trim panel, stretching the leather as I went. I knew that it would shorten the amount of the color of leather I had allotted for the door but, I could make it up with something else. The important thing was not to lose any of this leather I had miss cut.

Starting out:

IMG_4272_zpsquq0iz0h.jpg

Adding a little glue as I go to keep stretching:

IMG_4273_zps6ejrkkda.jpg

Back side done:

IMG_4274_zpshctwdaki.jpg

Leather flipped over on the front side, slightly shorter than I had laid it out:

IMG_4275_zps4tiwtnti.jpg

Both done and trying to figure out how both screw the panel down and attach the leather without the screws showing and, tucking the leather in around the edges. Too many problems and not enough solutions:

IMG_4276_zpsk7gpkxyi.jpg

The screws stick up and show under the leather so I needed to use the foam padding under the leather and over the screw heads, plus it gives a little padding and dimension to the trim panel.

IMG_4282_zpsnrufk9ov.jpg

Leather with padding underneath:

IMG_4280_zpsnx8zzp6h.jpg

With the leather lying loosely over the foam and the next piece next to it. I will need to re-cut this piece and make it a little bigger. One other thing I realized after I got all this together, I reversed the the upper piece from yesterday and it's backwards. It looks fine but, it wasn't the way I laid it out yesterday. Oh well!

IMG_4283_zpss7m4myuo.jpg

Thanks Poul. My bench time got cut short again today but, I made a decision regarding the bottom of the door panel; I decided to use the seat leather and risk it. The more I looked at the carpet on the bottom the less I liked it. So, with the original leather on the top and bottom of the panel my question is which color of leather should I use in the middle? These are the three best options that I have without getting crazy with black, red or blue. So, my question to all of you is which one do you all think looks the best? I know that there are somewhere around 100-150 people that look in on this post but, don't say anything so, this is your chance to offer an opinion on this question. I have a few other things that I need to tidy up in the meantime so, you have a couple of days to render an opinion before I proceed. Here are the options below.

Number one:

IMG_4285-1_zpsy7sywx5e.jpg

Number two:

IMG_4286-2_zpsozqlgylp.jpg

Number three: this piece is not the best quality and is only there for color, I would cut a new piece.

IMG_4287-3_zps6zgnzyli.jpg

Number 2 also. The two strong yellows in the middle of the others is too strong and it's like an arrow pointing on a street sign. I might test changing the pattern; making the top color wider and the bottom color a bit less wide. I know you have some material shortage so don't know if you can do that with the #2 choice. Maybe test with colored paper or tape. OR:

I might test enclosing the middle color, meaning a making a 'window' in the top / bottom main color. It would have a small margin at the lead and trailing edges. Sorta like my door panels; the pleats are in that window i'm talking about:

505M_zpsda5m8du4.jpg

And c'mon you other guys; this is not just a Pocher thing! Everybody can have an opinion and help the guy out. Take a few seconds and type a choice. It's your chance to throw eggs or give Wayne more work! He hasn't spent enough time on this build.... :chair:

I'd also go with 2.

But - How about printing a sheet of wood decal and adding a polished wood section to the door centres instead?

Would look classy, save leather and maybe solve the colour problem along the way...

You could edge the wood/leather join with strips of polished wire.

Roy.

Hi Wayne,

Nice progress,

I also think the colours in number two are the best option, but Mr C's idea of the "window" is also a good one and will take away the wide lines that draw the eye away from the door panel.

I also like the idea Roy has put forward with the wood, with the right colour and grain, perhaps in a window too, this could look fantastic.

Hope this helps a little.

Best Regards

Keith.

I'd go for number 2. The yellowish color (to my taste) does not go well with the seat color. I really like the idea Roy brought to the table. Would certainly suit a classic RR.

It appears that number two is a unanimous vote so far. I played around with wood and wood grain decals today and it isn't really working since there's no other wood anywhere else on the car. If I had some on the dash or I had started with wood on the top of the door then, maybe. Codger and I have been having this conversation all day and I think at this point I'm going to use the KISS principle and try and finish it as neatly as possible. I think once I get it together with the metal trim between the sections it will be fine. I still have other cars to build so, I'm just making a decision and going with it. I have pictures and I'll post them a little later after I get one door done or I call it for the night, whichever comes first.

It appears that number two is a unanimous vote so far. I played around with wood and wood grain decals today and it isn't really working since there's no other wood anywhere else on the car. If I had some on the dash or I had started with wood on the top of the door then, maybe. Codger and I have been having this conversation all day and I think at this point I'm going to use the KISS principle and try and finish it as neatly as possible. I think once I get it together with the metal trim between the sections it will be fine. I still have other cars to build so, I'm just making a decision and going with it. I have pictures and I'll post them a little later after I get one door done or I call it for the night, whichever comes first.

I too am trying to get one door doped-out and near done. Need paint on the exterior before I get the handle on though so it won't be quick. But you're right; get one figured and parts for the second made,,then the second one takes near half the time.

Yea, and the other benefit is that you only ruin half as much material while trying to figure it all out. So, below we have some pictures of the wood veneer with an adhesive back that I found in my spare decals folder so, I thought that I would throw them up to see how it looked. Actually, the first two didn't look all that bad, it became more of a is there any other wood on the car. I'm not completely ruling anything out just yet. Maybe a small thin strip could be used, I don't know.

IMG_4295_zps4doxzdnt.jpg

IMG_4296_zpsuczh0xbl.jpg

Wood grain decal paper

IMG_4297_zps2jgxnmgn.jpg

The next set of pictures is basically how I'm building up the door panels keeping in mind that, I'm out of the top and bottom leather. What you see is what you get so, I have no room to change anything in the design and the bottom piece will get a little smaller as I wrap the leather over the edges of the card and foam padding. That means I have to finish the top and bottom sections first and then see what is left to fill in the middle. This is not the way I wanted to be finishing the interior without any extra material to make changes and to make things perfect. Moral of the story, buy twice as much material as you think you will need.

OK, building a double layer of padding to add dimension to the top piece and the middle section will sit lower in the panel so it's not so one dimensional.

IMG_4300_zpsjshfxiba.jpg

Adding pieces of 0.030" card to build up the area where you see the raised part is causing a uneven surface.

IMG_4301_zpshobctbus.jpg

0.010" card for the leather to wrap around.

IMG_4302_zpsmmcsnqs8.jpg

Here's where I tried the wood grain decal over a cream color and a bit of middle stone airbrushed randomly, unsuccessfully, I might add.

IMG_4304_zpshnow405l.jpg

IMG_4305_zpsfmvpfhwa.jpg

That was the wood grain adventure. You all know what the number two leather looks like so, I'm about ready to put the three pieces together and see how it looks tomorrow.