Pocher Mercedes 540K True Roadster Build

Well congratulations on completing an advanced Pocher build in fine style! A great feeling of accomplishment now, isn't it?

You should have great satisfaction from solving all those problems with both Pocher and MMC parts plus the modifications you envisioned. You've made a lovely re- design of this classic. Plus you honed your bodywork  and leather crafting skills. You can tackle anything Pocher throws at you now so bring on that Alfa!

• Like 1

Wayne,

Good to see that you are finishing the model. After so much work, it would be a pity if it wouldn't be finished.

The pictures above do not show much detail, which probably has to do with your battle with photobucket.

Anyway, it looks fabulous. It shows the amount of hours that went into it.

I'm wondering what happened to your Ferrari Testarossa build....

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words especially, after such a long absence. I'm a little surprised at the number of views to my little thread since it was relegated to obscurity due to inactivity. Hopefully, my future planned builds will be more timely updated. 

Poul,

The Ferrari is still sitting on top of the display case so, I see it every day. In the past, my normal way of doing things was to have multiple builds going on at the same time and really never finishing anything. These Pochers are so big that, there really isn't room for more than one at a time on the bench so, it became a matter of work space room that, put it aside. I also have the Aventador paint project that is open, I sort of started detailing a Bugatti engine in one of my Bugatti kits, the Alfa Monza and another Mercedes possibly converting it to the Special Roadster. I have a lot of plans and semi started projects that are vying for my attention. The 935 that, I'm working on, was started before I started the Mercedes and I learned so much about detailing and scratch building. As I look at it now, I realize that, I would build it completely different if I were to start it today. It was a basket case kit that I bought from eBay and resurrected it into the Paul Newman Hawaiian Tropic Le Mans car. It's OK but, not up to the level I feel that I could do now. But, it's just another kt that I want to finish before I move on to another project. I have a question for you now, what's the status of your Alfa Coupe build?

Chas,

Love your Rolls and thanks for the tip on the MMC wiper blades. It looks like you are rounding into the home stretch on it after a long run here. It will be a great finish but, a sad day to see it go.

Rich,

I can't wait for you to finish the Volvo so, we can see you get back on the Bugatti!

Thierry,

Speaking of Bugatti's, you are spoiling us with your great work on adding details that, some of us never thought of i.e. a working hand brake! Who does that? I can't wait to see what you do with your new toy.

Schwarz,

Thanks for you comments.

I know there are a lot more of you guys out there that, have commented over the last couple of years and, I'd like to thank all of you for your encouragement.

The one thing that, I discovered building this car is it is a huge time commitment and a big learning curve. I made a lot of changes that, complicated the build that, most wouldn't have done but, the end product was worth the effort for me.

Thanks all

• Like 2

To paraphrase; 'The reports of my RR's death are greatly exaggerated...' It will take considerable time to get this hood situation to completion so I'll be boring folks for some months to come. :violin:

Any project you share will be a worthy treat to follow...

• Like 1

Ahh the AR Coupe.. I already said that once I reached the real life situation in the report, progress would shift into dead slow ahead mode.

Currently I'm working on paint and it is much more difficult to get a half way decent finish than I thought it would be.

I had way too much orange skin results. 

I found that the pressure my compressor delivers is propably much higher than the gauge shows.

Lowering it gave much better results.

I currently have done the wings. They are not perfect but acceptable. Working on the bonnet tops and radiator shroud now. All this will be done in black.

After that I will move to the main body and the bonnet side panels. They'll be done in burgundy red. I need the body finished before I can start with interior stuff.

Anyway, I'll add the results to the report in a few days.

Chas, good to hear that you will bore us to death with your Hood.

I hope and trust it will turn out brilliantly.

• Like 2

Poul,

What type of paint are you using, enamel, lacquer or an acrylic? If you remember, about midway through my build, I spent a lot of time painting and sanding and painting and on and on. I opted for the enamel in rattle cans and I also had a lot of orange peel but, I kept color sanding and painting until I had enough paint on the body that when I did finally get a smooth finish I didn't burn through the color while sanding. It's a long process and I made a few mistakes along the way but, it worked out in the end. The only panels that , I was unable to get totally smooth were the hood side panels with the louvres. There's just too many high points and it's an exercise in futility to try and get them glass smooth. That was a battle that I knew that I couldn't win so, I accepted the results as they were. 

I'm glad to hear that you are progressing and I look forward to seeing the color combinations. It sounds like an interesting combo. 

I'm glad to hear that Mr. C's Rolls is going to be around for a while longer as well. I'm also looking forward to seeing more new Pocher builds and the progress of all the ones currently under way like a couple that, I forgot to mention like Endeavor's Alfa and Ron's Ducati. I know, better than most, just what kind of time commitment building a Pocher can be and the ups and downs that I experienced throughout my build. I'm not suggesting that, this is the case here but, because they take a long time, life does have a way of getting involved and extending it.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's progress and starting a new build.

• Like 1

I'm using Vallejo acrylics. Many layers already and that does help.

For clear I started out with the vallejo acrylics too, but could not get the finish I wanted.

I now use Gauzy (AK).

with that andthe much lowered pressure of the compressor I get a nearlygood finish.

I

• Like 1

My only thoughts on this are that, I would continue to build up the clear coats before doing any sanding unless you get dust or any foreign matter on the clear. You have to get that off right away before adding more clear. You can keep building clear before sanding in order to give you something to smooth out. If you start trying to get the orange peel out too soon you run the risk of burning through to the color coat. I would also make sure that the clear is gassed out and hard before sanding. Lastly, I would use some low tack tape on any high spots on the body like molded in trim or edges while sanding the main areas to prevent any accidental burn through. All those high spots and edges have less paint on them compared to the larger flat areas and are easy to accidentally over sand. But, I'm sure that you already know this but, it's easy to forget when you start trying to get that perfect paint job. I forgot a couple of times and I had to repaint more than one piece.

Wayne states it perfectly above. I would only add (which you probably know anyway) to only sand wet (I add a dash of dish soap to a sink of warmish water) and start with mild grits (like 1200 or 2400) and work back to more coarse (600 - 1000) if absolutely needed. The surface will tell you what it wants and starting with such mild grits is an abundance of caution, well worth the time investment.

And patience...

Yep, thanks for the advice - starting alll over again -  I know all bout that. LOL

I indeed learned it is necessary to buil the clear coat in many layers.

Anyway, I think I am on the right track now - although I just spoiled a piece that was near perfect when I added, what I had hoped to be, the last layer. I found two runners.:o

Thanks Harvey, I appreciate the kind words.

I finally finished the 935 that, I had started prior to this Mercedes and I thought a couple of pictures of the two together would be a good way just about close this thread out.

IMG_5805_zpsebsdacrw.jpg

IMG_5806_zpse4inlvq8.jpg

Like I said before, I'm going to keep this open until spring when I can get some good pictures. In the meantime, I think that, I'm going to go back and do some work on the Pocher Testarossa and open that thread back up for a while. I have a specific reason for doing so. I will reveal this in a couple of weeks along with a friend of mine when we open a two man group that, will be nothing if not unique. You will then understand why the work on the Testarossa is somewhat important. How's that for a tease.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Wayne,

Your Mercedes build has been very helpful, I added all the building tips to my Sedanca journal.

SECONDLY...As you May have gathered I am having issues with making POSTIAGE download/upload my Sedanca pics.

I can load the pictures to the site, but can not get them into Britmodeller.

I have a new IPad, do you know if I can use it to this task.

I thought that I could use my computer but you wrote that I can’t use it (computer).

Is it at all possible for you to write the steps you use so I can make it happen.

Codger sent me instructions that help me get to the site, etc.

I thank you in advance if you have the time to help.

Brian