All the Blenheim questions you want to ask here

A30_737_AEW&C

Here's a photo of a repainted Bolingbroke IVT 9892 at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum, Rockcliffe (Ottawa), Ontario, Canada. It may be hard to see, but there's a definite bump on the top of the starboard nacelle. You can also just see the outline of the raft container on the port nacelle, which appears to be longer... (but its hard to tell in this view).

IMG_1087.jpg

I may have better views buried in my archives. If I find them. I'll post.

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started building the Airfix Mk 1. I purchased the Xtradecal sheet X72-202, which left me in such a quandary as to which one to do I had to go and buy another kit

Now I am going to do the first in the FAA colours, but for the second I rather fancy L6670/UQ-R, 211 Squadron, Menidi, Late 1940.

She is shown finished in dark earth/middle stone on the top over either Sky Type S or light Mediterranean Blue.

My question is in two parts:

(1)What does the collective think? Which of those underside colours is more likely?

(2) I brush paint using Tamiya acrylics, although I am beginning to branch out to Italeri Acrylics now as well. Anyone have ideas as to what would be an appropriate mix for the light Mediterranean blue? I usually use XF-21 for Sky, I have had look around and frankly get a bit lost with some of the discussions. Would that be suitable for Sky Type S?

Much appreciated for any pointers.

Simon

Tamiya XF-21 is the correct match for Sky Type S (note the Type S bit refers to the finish rather than the colour). Some people don't find it very convincing, being too green but it's quite close to my eye. As fas as I know there is no Tamiya match for Light Mediterranean Blue. Apparently the old formulation of Humbrol 157 Azure Blue is a close match for it. They've now changed it to better represent Azure Blue though, so that's not helpful really unless you know someone with old stocks.

John.

For a start, it is not particularly light. Think of it as a somewhat bluer version of PRU Blue, which in comparison looks greyer. WEM produced it, so you may be able to pick up a tin, or else wait for the Colourcoats range to come back on sale: it is being arranged.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a photo of a repainted Bolingbroke IVT 9892 at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum, Rockcliffe (Ottawa), Ontario, Canada. It may be hard to see, but there's a definite bump on the top of the starboard nacelle. You can also just see the outline of the raft container on the port nacelle, which appears to be longer... (but its hard to tell in this view).

IMG_1087.jpg

I may have better views buried in my archives. If I find them. I'll post.

Cheers!

Hi

Interesting, what are the nacelles on the airfix kit, blenheim or boli ?

Cheers

Jerry

Hi

Cheers

Jerry

Hello!

I would also like to know. The Airfix nacelle bulges above the cowling height which is not correct for any Finnish Blenheim (which are what I care for).

I think Airfix Blenheim nacelles are made according the Duxford example, which is a Bolingbroke. Also the main wheels are from Short 360 (I think - correct me if I am wrong). Perhaps the nacelles have been made larger to house the "Dunlop heavy duty 36 x 1200 main wheel tyres"? See the Airworthiness Approval note for Bolingbroke Mk.IV IVT G-BVIP:

http://www.caa.co.uk/aandocs/21124/21124020000.pdf

Cheers,

Kari

Hi

Cheers

Jerry

They are Blenheim. If you look at the pic provided you can see the Boli mods. If you look at the r/h engine nacelle the hump back is obvious. When you look back towards the rear of the nacelle on the wing on the right side you can see a small teardrop hump and some 'black rectangles'. I looked for these on the kit wing and they are there. If you now look at the l/h engine nacelle you can just see one of those 'black restangles' towards the rear of the nacelle and in line vertically with the oil cooler outlet on the engine. This gives you an approximation of how far the nacelle was extended.

A few odds'n'ends regarding Malayan Blenheims -

I've just bought the Airdix Blenheim I - nice kit, but with a few niggles: no radios behind the gunner's seat, they have moulded the sliding pilot's hood together with the upper cockpit glazing so a little careful sawing is required. Aldo for a Malayan Blenheim you'll need the Quickboost white metal air intake set, as mentioned in another thread. The small intakes mounted above the nacelles aren't included in this set, so you'll have to resort to the spares box.

Noiw, questions - Pilots seat harness: photos I have of Blenheim I's seat harness seem to show merely a lap belt. By late 41 did Malayan Blenheims have a 'full' RAF-type seat harness? Likewise the observer (sitting beside the pilot) - lap belt or full harness? And what kind of harness did the gunner have in his turret?

The bombers had all-black undersides: but did they have the underwing roundels? Photos seem to show both yes & no.

The surviving Blenheims in Singspore had their single VGO turret gun replaced by twin Brownings. Anybody know when?

Lastly, Blenheim IV V5581 - anyone know it's service history?

Hello!

I would also like to know. The Airfix nacelle bulges above the cowling height which is not correct for any Finnish Blenheim (which are what I care for).

I think Airfix Blenheim nacelles are made according the Duxford example, which is a Bolingbroke. Also the main wheels are from Short 360 (I think - correct me if I am wrong). Perhaps the nacelles have been made larger to house the "Dunlop heavy duty 36 x 1200 main wheel tyres"? See the Airworthiness Approval note for Bolingbroke Mk.IV IVT G-BVIP:

http://www.caa.co.uk/aandocs/21124/21124020000.pdf

Cheers,

Kari

Hi

Interesting that they are a different shape.

cheers

jerry

Noiw, questions - Pilots seat harness: photos I have of Blenheim I's seat harness seem to show merely a lap belt. By late 41 did Malayan Blenheims have a 'full' RAF-type seat harness? Likewise the observer (sitting beside the pilot) - lap belt or full harness? And what kind of harness did the gunner have in his turret?

Sutton harness for pilot introduced 10.12.1939 - Blenheim Mk IV Modification Nr 413 but as with some other Mk IV mods I suspect this applies to the Mk I too. Both observer and Wop/Ag had the broad lap strap.

Cheers,

Walter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello gentlemen,

I've another question regarding the Blenheim.

Engine cowls.

Was the upper cowl effectively a single 180-degree segment ? The Airfix kit breaks the engine cowl into three circumferential segments however.

TIA

• 3 months later...

Chaps,

Looking at the Mk1 Blenheim at Flying Legends recently, I noted that the gunners access hatch, forward of the dorsal turret is glazed. Studying photos of the late second flying MkIV, it’s hatch seemed to be the same. I contacted ARC to ask about the glazed hatch and they told me it was a standard fit. All the hatches I recall seeing on most Blenheim photos seem to be solid.

Also, part of the nose glazing seems to be dark earth. Is this painted glazing, or a metal panel? Why?

Can anyone kindly advise please?

Thanks,

Tim