1/350 IJN Akagi with Hasegawa and Eduard PE

warreni

Mind numbing Warren, are you decided yet whether to paint it or leave it as bare brass? :goodjob:

You know, I am considering the bare brass route very seriously. I did it with the mushroom vents on the Sevastopol and it came out looking very good. This is a lot larger area but it just looks so nice..

Cheers

Warren :bye:

I bet it's very satisfying to complete a structure like that.

Oh yes.. it is rather difficult to get some of the mini-girders into place, and sometimes the air in the hobby room turned a light shade of blue when something bent itself or whatever.

No I just have to get the other bits to fit..

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

I reckon this etch work is like a 3 dimensional jig saw done whilst wearing boxing gloves and a blind fold, I really dont know how you guys do it !

Keep up the good work Warren

Kev

Yep, that's about what it feels like sometimes. All I can say is thank God for tweezers!! I am an Instrument Fitter by trade so I have pretty good handskills after working on aircraft instruments etc, and I still have my high quality tools from that time as well... thirty years since I did that. Time flies..

Thanks for looking mate.

Cheers

Warren

Looking fantastic. Fiddly work takes so much time but you are powering along.

Thank you Sir!

Just call me Speedy. :bye:

Cheers

Warren

Hi Warren... How did the ends of that girder (that you cut off) interfere with the fit? I can't see how they would interfere with the fit...but maybe its just me ;) Good job otherwise though...and wait until you start with the trams! Those things are tricky!

Oh thanks for that... :ninja: Just what I need, even harder...

The problem was I followed Mr Hasegawa's instructions (because I don't have a death wish), but I couldn't get the part to fit through the hole in the other girders properly because other bits where getting in the way. A quick snip fixed the problem :poo:

It's OK though as I will attache them when I glue them to the deck and I don't even think you will see it...

But anyway it is time for an update. I got the rest of the girders in place and it looks like this..

akag3%202.jpg

Close up just for fun..

akag3%203.jpg

And here it is in the place it will be going in a week or so..

akag3%204.jpg

Problem is that if I attach it now and then have to do all the painting etc on the flight deck I think it may just trash it..

And look what turned up, just after I can't use them on this build anymore...

akag3%205.jpg

Sorry it is on its side... and they will get used as I have oodles of other IJN ships too build, Fuso, Yamashiro, Haruna, Kongo, Mutsu, Yamato, Hiryu, Shokaku etc etc

So that it is it for now,

Cheers and bye for now

Warren

• Like 2

Very tasty Warren, especially the extreme close-up, such a beautiful piece of brasswork!

I just ordered the same brass strip set myself yesterday. Time to sand down the Nagatos catapult deck in preparation!

Very tasty Warren, especially the extreme close-up, such a beautiful piece of brasswork!

I just ordered the same brass strip set myself yesterday. Time to sand down the Nagatos catapult deck in preparation!

I'll be watching that one!!

:wow: just stunning PE work there Warren that lot of photos just sent a shiver up my back when I think of doing anything like it :banghead::banghead:

Keith

Glad you liked it mate. I am here to please.

Sorry about the lack of progress over the weekend but I decided to put the racking up in my garage and it took most of my time up.

Cheers!

Edited by Warren

Just thought I would add, that brass work looks intimidating but it is not THAT difficult. But before you rush out and buy the set make sure you have a few very necessary tools. The first one is a good quality set of tweezers. The need to be rigid and not go over-centre when you apply some pressure to a part in their grip. Anyone who has had that happen to them will know what I mean.

I am lucky and have my tweezers etc from my Instrument Fitter days but another thing to ensure is that the tweezers have a smooth inner face, not corrugated which will damage the soft brass.

The other thing you will need is CA or Gator Grip glue. The CA dries fast which can be important when you don't want parts to seperate from each other when you remove pressure from them, and the Gator Grip dries clear and is nice and strong when cured.

Anyone who has any other PE questions don't hesitate to ask me or Tim who is doing masterful work on his Akagi.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

I've been taking pictures, just a matter of puting them on the computer, photobucket and finally Britmodeler! Nice kit!

Well hurry up then!! :fuhrer::)

One oither thing, does anyone know how to use Google+ photos to post pictures here?

Cheers

Warren

I use Google+. It works the same as other hosting sites.

Right click the picture in Google+, copy the URL, and paste it into the image dialog box on the Britmodeller reply window.

Hi Warren! Great job on the pe buddy...and this pic of yours gave me SEVERE deja-vu! ;)

akag3%204_zpsgcutekvr.jpg

Looks most excellent, and to add to your tips about working with this particular photoetch...do not paint the parts before assembly! The joint tolerances are too small for a even a thin layer of paint. And indeed as you noted warren, if you keep all the girders and rails straight, the grid comes together quite nicely.

Again...well done! regards, Tim

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 1

Warning! Warning Will Robinson.. Boring update detected...

Hi everyone.

Well as it says above this is a bit of a boring update.

akag3%201.jpg

Yep. You have to paint the decks BEFORE you try and attach the wooden decks. And you need to paint the details on the deck that don't get covered by the wood.

akag3%202_1.jpg

Secondly you need to paint the PE before you apply it to the deck.

And that's it. I ran out of time to do much more. Should be able to attach the wood tomorrow.. hopefully...

Cheers

Warren :bye:

• Like 1

Hey Warren! I just finished installing those same small pe deck parts about 20 minutes ago! I can take pics for you if you want, but I don't think you'd need them as the install is straight and forward. The 4 small little bits on the right of your last pic (what are they anyway?)...don't sneeze or even breath hard on them. ;) But they certainly look good installed. The speed of your progress is remarkable. Keep the updates coming. -Tim

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

Hello again.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I got around to fitting the wooden deck parts last night ans I must say they were not the best fitting wooden deck pieces I have ever used... not much lined up very well but we will see how it all comes out in the end.

Next up is to fit the PE provided.

One other thing, if you are contemplating building this model but can't afford the expensive wooden deck don't worry too much as the plastic deck itself has awesome decking detail moulded right into it.

Cheers for now

Warren

Hello again.

I got all the wooden deck pieces attached, and all the PE except for the tops of the elevators.

akag3%2B1.jpg

akag3%2B2.jpg

Oh, and I have changed over to Google Photos which seems to work OK. One extra step compared to Photo-Bucket but I am giving it a go for a while.

That's it for now.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

And then disaster struck.

I was happily adding the dry transfers to the deck ethpdically working my way from the bow to the stern when I realised I had been putting the centre stripes in the wrong position... for some reason I cannot explain I had gone awry and now I have to paint the stripe instead.

In my defence the Hasegawa instructions are none too clear for this set regarding where the stripes should be put but I should have been more attentive.

Too be honest I would rather have used a mask and sprayed them anyway... But enough excuses, I need to do some masking..

Cheers and tears

Warren

Oh my...but I can easily see how that could come to be Warren. Those stripes were a bitch(!) for me as well, took me over 15 hrs in total I guess. And you're right about the instructions, especially if you start at the bow, because the starting points are not indicated that clearly and the stripes are not centered on the flight deck, as one would assume. Is that what happened to you?

The lines will look great masked/airbrushed and are certainly doable that way...good luck I look forward to seeing how they turn out!

Hi Tim.

Well actually I remembered I have some white decal paper so I cut some thin strips off and used it, but that was a b&tch as well as the decals wanted to do nothing else but stick to everything but the model. After about 500 tries I got them on though.

And, yes, I started from the bow....

Buying another deck set was not an option with the price they go for now.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Yes, I get the theme... :winkgrin:

I think I saved the deck this afternoon. I took a couple of piccies and I will post them tomorrow.

Cheers

Warren