BAE Nimrod MR.2P-XV244, RAF Kinloss

Hello again,

My most prized model and the biggest 1:72 one in my collection is XV244. It is pretty much OOB but MAS-72044 was used for the very extensive stencilling all over the model. Half of them you can't see anyway! But i had great fun and really enjoyed this model, and the first time I used filler on this model because there were some pretty bad gaps, especially on the top wing to fuselage joins. Hopefully me next, and last Nimrod will be painted by an airbrush(if i ever get one) as I would love to dedicate one to depicting XV232, my local airport's live and running Nimrod.

BTW i know the serials are black rather than grey but the kit ones had displaced white underprint and blended into the paintwork as if they weren't there, so its the best I could do. Anyway, enjoy this one folks. :yahoo:

DSCN7116_zpsefc77c70.jpg

DSCN7117_zps1fe8d6ad.jpg

DSCN7120_zpscd02062e.jpg

DSCN7121_zpsecdae63d.jpg

DSCN7123_zps94aff2c9.jpg

DSCN7124_zpse087dda9.jpg

DSCN7126_zps2f89b188.jpg

DSCN7127_zpsbf557c48.jpg

DSCN7130_zps9e0cd030.jpg

DSCN7133_zpsfc058342.jpg

• Like 18

Thanks for your comments

Tentacles- the model is a beautiful project to do, set aside a little time to build it(mine took 2 weeks) and you'll need filler... but the results are worth it when you love an aircraft this much!

paul178- I struggled originally finding rattlecan substitutes for 166/168 but to no avail! How did you get on with yours?

Coooooool! Your build has a particular significance to me as I used to work in the maritime intelligence cell and ops room at RAF Kinloss, back in my service days :) I'd occasionally get the chance to go out on a patrol under the guise of "photographer". Long patrols too! My most prominent memory is of eating loads of Starburst. For some reason the galley had a drawer full of them. Nom.

"Are we nearly theeeeeeeere yet?"

Nimrod_zps3a3acd98.jpg

TyphoonPlus.jpg

Edited by Muppet
  • Like 2

I'm not sure when the transition from Opal Fruits to Starburst occurred :P This would have been the mid/late 90's. Knowing RAF rations, they probably still pack Opal Fruits!

• Like 1

phildagreek-Thanks for your comment!

Tomjw- Next time you see one I'd say just buy one! Try to avoid the e-bay auctions though, they go for silly amounts of money even though I found this one at Telford for £20!

F-32-Thanks!

stevej60-You're right, she is odd looking to most but I love the look of the Nimrod!

Val-Me too! They're one of the best planes the RAF had in my opinion.shame though they're gone now. Glad though there's a few surviving in running condition!