A39 Tortoise - Updated photos, Pg. 2

As above,.....what a fantastic model which has been finished superbly! I like the canvas tarpaulin, is it real canvas because it looks like it, it even has brass eyelets!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

As above,.....what a fantastic model which has been finished superbly! I like the canvas tarpaulin, is it real canvas because it looks like it, it even has brass eyelets!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. The tarp was made from lead foil shaped over a bunch of odd and ends stuck together to make a stowage bundle. When I painted it I mixed some Tamiya flat base into the paint which gave it a very matt, canvasy look.

Andy

• 3 years later...

Fantastic Tortoise, amazing paintwork and weathering!

The slightly chilled chap on the roof with his brew and map really adds some extra character.

Makes a nice change from all the German "what ifs".

Really great work.

• Like 1

There is just one little problem, and I apologise for bringing it up. The spare track links would not have rusted like that.  Like all UK WW2 tracks they were made of a steel alloy with a high manganese content that inhibited rust formation.   They would have oxidised to a grey-brown colour.  Spare new links were generally painted black in British practice for further protection.  With that much surface rust you'd never get the track pins through if you had to use them. 

Also, armour plate doesn't readily rust either.  Again, it contains rust-inhibiting elements such as nickel and molybdenum - but more importantly it absorbs significant carbon into the outer surface from the heat treatment hardening process.  And high-carbon steel is essentially stainless.  Armour plate isn't fully stainless and will rust, but quite slowly compared to mild steels.  The heat treatment process gave it a dark-chocolatey brown natural colour.  Weld bead metal will never rust and remains bright pretty much for ever.

But I can only endorse the praise for the exhaust rust effect.  I've tried combinations of oil paint and pigments to get some texture, but yours is much superior.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4509davidb said:

lovely - how many hours in total do you think?

You mean to build/paint? I can't really remember now, but it was probably done over a few weeks.

Andy:cat:

Excellent job again Andy.  Rather ugly subject matter but turned out great.

All of the posts before me have burned through all of the descriptive adjectives I can think of so I'll just say

"I like it" and I do.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Wow--there's some real skill at work.  Very nice, indeed!  Just purchased this kit a little while ago and will be starting soon.  How did you manage with the bogie construction?  I see there are some alternative construction techniques out there--in the absence of several extra hands, perhaps I'll give one of them a go...….

• Like 1

Absolutely superb Andy. I can read the mind of that poor beggar perched on top......."I really don't want to be here!" For me, the stand out part of this is the canvas cover on the engine deck. Rarely have I seen one that actually looks like a canvas cover. Great painting and weathering.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

On 11/06/2018 at 03:00, Patman said:

How did you manage with the bogie construction? I see there are some alternative construction techniques out there--in the absence of several extra hands, perhaps I'll give one of them a go...….

Thanks Patman. This was built back in 2014 so I can't remember exactly what I did, although I do know that I didn't fit the return rollers and their mounts to the bogies. You can't see them on the finished build, so there's not much point in adding them. There's no upper track run either. Just enough wrapped around at each end to go under the fenders. I probably partially painted the lower hull and bogies before adding the side skirts.

On 11/06/2018 at 05:20, Bullbasket said:

For me, the stand out part of this is the canvas cover on the engine deck. Rarely have I seen one that actually looks like a canvas cover.

Thanks John. The canvas cover is just a piece of lead foil formed over some random odds and ends. If I remember correctly, most of the shape was made up from Magnum ice cream sticks that I was forced to eat in the interests of modelling. When I painted it, I added some Tamiya flat base into the paint which gave it a very matt, canvas-y look.

Looking back at these old photos now, I realise just how shoddy they were, so I thought it would be worth re-shooting it. I've also tweaked the weathering a little since the original photos were taken. I'll post the new photos below, rather than replace the originals.

40938175900_cc55c867a5_b.jpg

27879781247_9c4031e319_b.jpg

40938173010_aeec4e45f4_b.jpg

27879776957_cebfdaed92_b.jpg

42699725322_36e44aa4be_b.jpg

42699721512_ac5b265a0f_b.jpg

42699719042_f45f2ceec2_b.jpg

40938159070_27ffd80ee1_b.jpg

40938154050_d18d228a4f_b.jpg

27879766387_9059695b60_b.jpg

42699702552_c779ba0a03_b.jpg

Andy:cat: