Curtiss P-40 55 Pursuit Squadron is now first production P-40 39-156

Put the decals on, and clear coated with a little Tamiya clear.

Was reasonably happy at that stage.

Then it all started to go poorly.

I tried to mask the area around the lower cowling so I could use a dark tinted clear to highlight the area around the radiator intake.

When I lifted the tape to better position it, it lifted the half clear-half aluminium coat off in am flake not unlike fish food size.

I tried fine paper to sand the area smooth for repaint, but had to use metho to get it back to a "good enough" smooth surface.

16314584163_5e8ee71dc5_b.jpg

I then took the opportunity to lay down a dark grey coat around the front (of the tape) so it would change the finish of the aluminium.

Of course when I took that piece of tape off some more of the top coat came off on both the port and starboard side cowling panels.

My perceived durable finish was actually rather brittle.

So I rubbed both side panels back with metho and painted them as well.

Keep in mind by now it was obvious that I couldn't mask off the sections to be painted.

I got the paint on and proceeded to put some Tamiya clear on (mixed about 60:40 with Isopropyl) and all went well, until I got a bit heavy handed with the last bit left in the airbrush, causing a thick finish,( resplendent with runs ) on the port fuselage from the rear glass to the tail.

This required a third area to be rubbed back, and serious consideration about the worth of me continuing this build.

But press on I did.

Repainted the area. Got some paint on starboard rear window (more metho to remove).

Repainted the red stripes on the rudder, and clear coated.

It now all looks a bit messy, and I am looking forward to clearing it from the workbench.

It should make completion before the deadline though.

16314582713_ea3856f9d6_b.jpg

• Like 1

I admire your fortitude Wayne, and it looks like it's been rewarded. Your result compares very nicely with the ref pic on page 1. That pic does show a near mirror finish on the cowl, but a more 'typical' aluminum finish on the rest, just like yours.

Okay.

Wheels and associated undercarriage bits have been painted and assembled.

Of coarse I put the wheels on the wrong side which required a quick swap before glue dried. Doohhh !!

Should I have painted on the black walk ways ?

Not sure if the first production model had them.

This group build has been a lot of fun, and I have learnt lots of do's and don'ts (including how to post pics).

I am inspired by all the great work in the GB and on this forum in general.

Looking forward to my next group build ( BoB probably ).

Calling it done.

A couple of pics, with the rest in the gallery.

16972159776_a4a87e4a46_b.jpg

16790743627_c63e4b00b0_b.jpg

• Like 2